Where are my speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 837
I don't like to make assumptions but since I haven't heard from TW in quite a while and he hasn't logged on to eCoustics since Feb AND I haven't gotten my speakers back it seems I have little choice.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8035

Any last known contacts for TW?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 838
I have an address and a phone number.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2900
You've used it I suspect or you wouldn't be asking.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2901
Should we take this as a sign that he liked them?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2902
Sorry Tim, I couldn't help it.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 839
That would be the only positive in this situation I can think of.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 840
It's quite odd really. I spoke to him on the phone back in February. He said he liked them a lot and was working on opening his own Hi-Fi store suggesting that he would carry my products in his store.

??????

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1881
Well, he sold one pair, I fear!

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 855
Tim,

I would hate to think that T-Man "forgot" to return the speakers, although I can certainly understand why he might want to keep them, I did. LOL

Anybody need a good lawyer? Have briefcase, will travel. In fact, I've been traveling so that's why I haven't checked in much lately. I'll be better starting next week.

Maybe this gives us a good reason to meet up somewhere and track down T-Man? There's nothing so bad as a woman scorned and I think I can probably assert a Mann Act violation here as it relates to the Emmas. LOL

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8037

"He said he liked them a lot and was working on opening his own Hi-Fi store ... "

Oh, no! That is not good news.

Do you have a name or number for the shop where he had been working? There are usually stories that evolve when someone working in a shop wants to open their own store. I hate to say it, but this seldom works out well in my experience.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 841
The Mann Act?!

LOL

Jan-
I don't have that info. I'm going to have to go through the other (commonly known) methods first.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1883
Jan, do you mean that every good store was either willed to the owner or opened by retired chefs, or real estate agents, as mostly inexperienced retailers?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3751
I'd be curious to hear about these stories too...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2903
Dave, it's good to read your words again. Hope we see alot more of them (you).

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8040

Nuck - Nope, that's not what I mean. But I do have a story that has a part where trucks are backed up to the store in the middle of the night and guns were involved. A few weeks later, there was a new audio shop in Dallas.

Off hand, I can only think of one owner I have worked for who thought increased competition was a good thing for everyone. One other owner's attitude was competition is created to either be bought out or run out of business. Yep, I've worked for some real gems in my career.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 901
hmmm disturbing.

I would think that someone who wants to open up a hi-fi store would want good relations with the vendors.

On the other hand if his thoughts were to lift these, what value would they have on shady resale markets? I mean your speakers are great by every account I have heard on this site Tim, but your brand is not exactly a household name. What would he get for them in used resale value?

Have you tried a look up on ebay?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 842
My assumption is that something has happened and returning my speakers has become a very low priority.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 843
Heard from TW and according to him my assumption was correct, however, he assured me they will be returned.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1900
Well done Tim, your posted vote of confidence has had the desired effect.
Good luck, TW.

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
T-Man,

Check in big guy, we miss you.

I am happy that Tim will be getting his speakers back. I am not happy that things are not going well in your life. Let us know if we can do anything to help. Dave

See, the lawyer card and Mann Act violation threat always gets 'em!!! Hey, I'm just kidding. LOL

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1282
Hmmm,

Glad to hear that your speakers have been located. Sad to hear that something has occurred to lower their priority. I hope it goes well for Tawaun.

My wife and I spent 2004 and much of 2005 organising the numbers to try to open a HiFi store of ours. Eventually, we accepted that the numbers didn't make much sense and the risk was way too high, so we abandoned the project. It's still something we'd like to do, but not at the risk of losing house and home. So I'm stuck in IT, which has lost its lustre for me...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member
Username: Basicaudio

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 34
I am shocked! you guys that are planning on stocking loudspeakers didn't mention THEATER RESEARCH OR BOSE! (-: i guess you only do that if you were going to LIQUIDATE!
has anyone here heard of NOLA loudspeakers and tested them? curious!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8146

"NOLA" as in Not a Lotta Audio?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1982
New Oddio, Laff myAsssoff

Gold Member

Post Number: 1983
It's like The Kinks, with Dyslexia.
Like Day Ravies.

N-O-L-A, Nola

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 30
sorry to jump in on this, but it is sort of sacred ground for me and not sure what jim is referring to, but nola will always stand for New Orleans, LA--where many nice and not so nice stereos drowned, and are still waiting to be buried.
see nola.com or wwoz.org or savenolanow.com for more. sorry, but it hits kind of close to home. at least jazz fest is going to happen this year, with everyone from dr. john and bob dylan on the first day, elvis costello, paul simon, dave matthews, heck even the Ohio players (who remembers the album cover from Fire?!) and all other sorts of non-jazz people, in addition to all kinds of jazz, blues, and of course gospel all day.
full line up is at:
http://wwoz.org/jazzfest/2006/lineup.php

long live nola..hurricane season is only a couple of months away and they still ain't got no levees

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8149

Best wishes to New Orleans and here's wishing the US Congress and Senate get their act together and do what is right rather than funneling more no bid contracts for $40 million worth of unused temporary housing now sitting in a field of mud. It's good to see the musiciains havn't forgotten the city, but most of them were not the lifeblood of New Orleans. While other cities once again are benefiting from the exodus of New Orleans jazz artists, the city must return to a point where these and all the lesser citizens of New Orleans want to come back.

That said, I haven't heard of NOLA speakers.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 36
I mentioned NOLA because i read some information on it on there website and their advertisement at absolute sound. They have a flagship that's over $120k...that's up their with the big boys.
Don't they make flagships at more EARTHLY prices these days? like audiogon prices from $900 to $4k even? geez, people have to sell their homes just to get a flagship these days and it ain't even the enterprise! I bet my 1970 philco car speakers will blow away any of your loudspeakers?
kidding! that's how BOSE fanatics behave! anything high end the word snobbish seems to come out of their vocals. Yup, i like to monitor those forums too! I find ecoustic to be the one with class. people here at least most haven't lost their hearing and waiting on government aid to repair their ear drums!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 859
FYI,
My speakers arrived in Dover, DE this morning and are in the possession of the Department of Modern and English Languages at Wesley College.
Thank TW!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2042
I must presume that the location in Deleware was the intended destination for the speakers?
Good to be back on track!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 860
Yep, Dr. Randy has been waiting 3 months for his turn.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8183

YOU GO, DR. RANDY!!!

Regarding NOLA speakers, yesterday I saw a recommendation for their $39,900 pair in HiFi+. Impressive stuff they say. That is now the extent of my knowledge of NOLA speakers. I probably won't be doing any more research into NOLA speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2061
I have the NOLA's in my guest house.
Along-side the boat house.

Nuck wake up--time for school!!
RATS.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2062
Dunno Dr. Randy, does he visit here?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1103
Tim -

You used to have Myra or some sort of reference to it on your site I believe. I was looking around last night and couldn't find any reference to it at all. The speaker upgrade won't be for a year or so, so I'm in no hurry, but...

Is it still in the development stages?
Have you begun selling it?
Specs, characteristics, etc?
Price?

Don't hurry to get it on your website or finish development for me. I've got at least a year before I'll be ready. Thanks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 862
There are a couple of things I would like to try out before I'm satisfied enough to release it to the market one of which is testing a new tweeter I've recently acquired. Only the prototype has been built so far and was on display at CES this past January.
Upload
As you can see, it's a dual cab design. The bass cabinet is a bipole transmission line. The upper cab is sealed. The upper portion can be removed and played by itself if for some reason you just want quiet chamber music without the bass (sometimes that's nice). By itself it's 80Hz to 20kHz. Plugged into the bass cabinet the entire system is 30Hz to 20kHz anechoic and in-room response reaches the low 20's. A filter in the bass cabinet rolls the upper cab off around 250Hz when it's attached. Sensitivity is about 88db/w. A couple of reasons for this setup are:
1) I think it looks nice.
2) There is virtually no vibration from the bass drivers affecting the upper drivers. It's as if the upper cab is mounted on a nice stand.
Price will depend on which tweeter I go with but will be around $2500/pr.
Myra is my preferred speaker when listening at home.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8189

Tim - Why's the driver placed so high in the transmission line?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 864
I guess you're referring to the standard practice of placing the driver around the point corresponding to .3 to .5 the line length to suppress the third order harmonic that sets up in TLs. Well, being as this unit only reproduces frequencies less than the 3rd harmonic and the XO rolls off everything else, there was no need.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2977
I believe Nola speakers used to be called Alon. Their Grand Reference is something to behold (and to hear).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2072
What Tim said.
Tim these are absolutely Frickin' SMOKING!
Reproducing below the tirtiary would keep resonance low, without giving up balance, I agree, the low frequency is leveled at 30 Hz?
That balance would make the Myra's very flexible indeed, and not so particular for room positioning.

You, sir, are moving to the next level, and I would not ever have a problem recommending your products for a look,to anyone I know.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 43
TIM, that speaker desing is SWEET! very nice drivers and cabinetry.

to: mr kyle
i'm glad someone knows about NOLA speakers? they seem to appear at absolute sound and stereophile quite often. i'm curious as to how the flagship and it's line just below it sounds

Gold Member

Post Number: 2087
BTW, Tim, is your cabinet guy going bananas yet?
You had mentioned that you had him harried a while back, the Myra upper cab should keep him busy when the release comes up.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 866
Thanks guys, I appreciate that. My mentor was very pleased also.
Yeah, I got my cabinet guy bouncing all over from my throwing different designs at him like this but he's hanging in there so far.

Hey Jan....

....stuffing.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8200

Cook it outside the bird.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2983
Jim, honestly I have not heard the Nola speakers(they were Alon then) for quite sometime. I do know that I have listened to many speakers that impressed me more for overall balance and coherence. I enjoyed the Wilson Maxx 2's and the Vandersteen Model 5A's more and their sound's stay with me more than what I heard from Alon. Their Mini seems to have received pretty good press. I'd like to hear it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2090
Tim, methinks your mentor is on the Jedi side.
Half in the bird, half out, unless deep fried bird, none in, just bread and toss the bread.

Them's good eatin'!

Art the Maxx 2's were mated to Bryston 9's when I heard them last.
Top shelf, if overpriced.

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 46
I have heard the wilson's only on the showroom. i can only imagine them on a home. they have lots of authority in my opinion. i have only heard the smaller models of vandersteens at showrooms and i was impressed with the imaging and cleanliness of sound. these are well established manufacturers.
The other well noted manufacturers i haven't heard on a showroom is dali's, swans, kharma to name a few and would like to hear genesis lines.
I do like line source configurations. the new speaker posted here by tim, i hope will be at least place on showrooms here in southern california. I would like to here them on some of the showrooms.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2984
Nuck, I heard the Maxx 2's with Halcro amps with Linn and Clearaudio sources. Unbelievable!!! Beautiful setup they had at Definitive Audio in Seattle. A couple of doors down at another store I listened to the Dali speakers and they are fabulous.

Jim, I have not heard the Swans or Kharma's. I would love to hear the Kharma line.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2096
Art,Art,Art, do you live in audio nirvana?
Just too much sound going on there, Art.
You have it good, as well as being connected, of course.

If this post looks a tad green, well it is!

Envy is a mortal sin, but in stereo speak, it is normal daily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2097
Art, were the Maxx on Halcro and sourced by the Linn Uni?
That is a standard set-up, with Halcro or Bryston, both with the Linn uni.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2987
Yup! Let me tell ya though I would take the Halcro's over the Bryston's anyday. I've heard Bryston's power alot of speakers and I like them but the Halcro's...my my my...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2099
They are real Steak and Potatoes power, just from what I hear. The Halcro's are fearless, I understand, and to be put up head to head against Bryston 9's that is a big,big bunch.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2100
What tubes were the Halcro's running on output's Art? Propietary?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2990
These were the bad boys I was listening to (no tubes).

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/683/

Gold Member

Post Number: 2105
Oy!
No tubes, Unknown solid state, and who knows what is going on in there.
Audio equitment that is built like that is Wayyy past anything I can handle Art.
But if that Halcro matches up well with the Maxx, I have a new list in mind, next time I win the lottery.

The last Halcro I heard was a tube amp, owned by a buddy, and I cannot even remember what model it was.I think it was old when I was young(ouch).

Art, you really are being sought out for your critical ear lately, a trait and quality which I appreciate and envy.
Your recommendation of the cdp was spot on, you have picked up on what I listen to, and the unit is exactly what I wanted.

\Except now, I need to win the lottery(again)(still).

Bronze Member

Chula vista, Ca US

Post Number: 47
I am very envious of art, tim, nuck and jan for being owners of some of these beauties (-: any audio enthusiast and audiophile in their right mind wouldn't be considering these gentlemen experience audio bliss on a daily basis outside the showrooms.
I agree with one of the comments, unless I win the lottery, I wouldn't be able to own any of these fine audio masterpieces except thru showrooms.
after reading comments from other audiophiles who have the income and luxury in other forums, i have noticed that those who can afford to have a dedicated audio ONLY room with well matched tubes/speaker/cable combination and turntables/sacd players costing 10k each, and power conditioners more expensive than my whole system put together, and a separate custom made HT room using solid state receivers/amps/loudspeaker combo. For those in the middle, it's a compromise!

regarding KHARMAS! the designer/owner made a $2 million dollar loudspeaker project in 1992 that resemble a live concert in some huge mansion. It was funded by some very wealthy real estate tycoon I believe, not a racoon! the kharma had 36 speaker cabinets per side, and i believe the amps bridged, cascaded etc...amounted to 36,000 watts per/ch...something like that from what i recall. It's been awhile since i've done the research.
for me, listening a demo by a high end salesman with moderate tubes/cable/speaker of hi end grade at 20 watts per channel is sweet enough. As for me I like tubes/solid state depending on what they are used for. As far as speaker design, i am always curious of different approaches in design.
You can't really judge a loudspeaker simply by it's look, it can be deceiving at least from my own opinion and experience. I have heard loudspeakers that are costly with nice cabinet designs but left me empty and i have heard not so appealing looking loudspeakers that amazed me.
If I did win the lottery, I would definitely ask the contributors here for advice on recommendations for stereo only tube set up on a dedicated audio room with proper acoustical material to be used.
My experience on personal gear is all solid state. i can only enjoy tubes and higher end gear on showrooms knowing i can't afford them. I think the well to do in the high end world should donate to the impoverish ear society (i and poor bose protestors belong too, kidding of course). for every high grade cable, amplifier, speaker, player donated, it's a tax write off for charitable contribution to the IRS or IR US, sort of like toys r us for audiophiles!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3003
"after reading comments from other audiophiles who have the income and luxury in other forums, i have noticed that those who can afford to have a dedicated audio ONLY room with well matched tubes/speaker/cable combination and turntables/sacd players costing 10k each, and power conditioners more expensive than my whole system put together, and a separate custom made HT room using solid state receivers/amps/loudspeaker combo. For those in the middle, it's a compromise!"

Jim, then there are folks like me with puny incomes and puny homes where all is a compromise but hey my little system sounds great and I'm grateful for what I have......though I do occasionally play the lotto.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2112
Jim, most of the posters here have middle of the road investments.
Even Jan, with classic quality, and Art with newer tubes are prudent.
The 'dream' systems we happily drool over are not likely to happen, and, in fact, the success that some members post are real world, achievable and enviable.
The 'mix' is everything. I like my kit, because I listen to Rock, and like it loud now and then.
Berny has the Outlaw power, but is more diverse than myself.
Art is into the tubes, and can be heard spinniing a jazz or Classical disc.
Jan is a wild card, Old Elvis is a speciallty.

On and on, the object of your affliction/affection will dictate the direction of your investment.

London Calling.

Bronze Member
Username: Darkmusic

Dover, Delaware Usa

Post Number: 31
Emma's appeal...
Four months and four thousand miles later ... she's been to some interesting places and seen some miraculous sights. And I thought...what would I want to hear if I'd covered that much ground?
My answer: Robert Johnson, Taj Mahal, Joe Cocker, Youngbloods, Beatles, and Janis. Friday night... it began quietly and ended up loud -- not window rattling, let's just call it three-beer loud...she wasn't a bit tired (but I was...). I smiled a lot and I believe I heard a few notes (and instruments) I have not noticed before.
Saturday was "grading exams day": Moby Grape, George Harrison (All things...), and more Beatles (Yellow sub remastered). The music was played at below-moderate to moderate levels -- I heard lots of detail.
I cleared my ears (and head) that night with a gospel choir concert.
Sunday ... was a sacred day: Parker, Ellington, Coltrane, Mean Mothers (women and blues 1927-1949), and Otis. The music was primarily mono played at moderate levels.
Emma does mono well (see my comment below). Fine musical detail.

My stuff: Mac 6100, 40w tube integrated, musical fidelity xray cd player (with x-10v3), aq cables, tannoy arden speakers (15 inch, dual concentric, horn-loaded,), and Ling II speakers. I had been listening to the tannoys and Ling II's the week before Emma arrived.

"Hear [sic]" follows some preliminary observations:
Both Ling and Emma require power -- but if the power is available, there is no problem (except when it's time to pay the tab...)
All three speaker pairs image well... the Ling better than the horns, the Emma better than the Ling. With regard to dynamics, perhaps the horns demonstrate (I'm not sure if this is the correct verb) the best dynamics, then Emma, and then the Lings. I suspect (speaker) size (and drivers and crossovers) matters after all.
The Emma may have the best soundstage of the three speaker pairs -- deep and wide (especially wide -- two or three times I have been surprised by the soundstage).
Bass -- Emma's bass has been previously praised, but (to my ears) perhaps the Ling reproduces better acoustic bass and Emma produces better electric bass. In fact, acoustic and electric may be how I would initially distinguish between Ling and Emma (their sizes and prices accepted): The Ling does acoustic music very, very well and the Emma shines with electric music. (Please note: I have not listened to a cacophony of acoustic music with Emma, yet.)
The Ling also seems to do mono better than Emma.
Top end: thus far, I like Emma's top "over" the Ling's. I have not decided why (but I am thinking that the Lings sound brighter on top).
Mid-range seems may be smoother on the Lings, but I suspect the reason is that I have played a lot of acoustic jazz and acoustic guitar/ piano music on the Lings.
I appreciate Emma's bass; it rivals the ardens (but I have yet to play any bass-saturated pieces.)
(NB: I have not connected Emma to the 6100...yet... I'll wait until next weekend for that hookup.)
I like Emma a lot and I think Tim has created something very fine indeed.
That's all for now. See ya!

Silver Member

Post Number: 896
OK RAC,

Now, I know where the words came from. Nicely written, thanks for the update.

Jim, don't drool on the equipment, it's not good for it. But, as Nuck and Art attest, you don't have to spend $100,000 to have great sound.

I've heard the Vandersteen 5As with $25,000 source component and $50,000 worth of amps and pre/pro and the sound was incredible. I suspect several of us feel we've achieved 80% or 90% of the sound at much less than 10% of the cost. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my 2 channel system and I don't have anywhere near $2000 into it. Just some well purchased old tube stuff, some reconed speakers and a great purchase on a fantastic used, CDP off Audiogon. Mixed and matched that happened to work pretty well. More luck than skill in terms of the melding of the components.

I suspect Art, Jan, Tim and Nuck could have gotten there easier and with better sound still, though. Enjoy what you've got, listen to alot of stuff, listen to these guys and try some different gear, including vintage tubes, when you start to upgrade. Good luck, Dave.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us