Amp for Athena AS-F2

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 19
My Athena AS-F2s ARE bright with my Yamaha RX-595 80wpc stereo receiver. What integrated stereo amp would be a better match? I could get just an amp and use the Yamaha as a pre-amp too...THANKS

Bronze Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 52
Hi Rick,

Nad amps are considered warm as opposed to bright so you wouldn't go far wrong with a C352 or C372. The bigger amp would drive your speakers better at low levels but the C352 would be fine too. If you used the Yamaha as a preamp how do you know that isn't causing the brightness?

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 20
Yea, I better not use the Yamaha at all.
Someone on another thread said that the NAD C372 was lacking in bass.....HarmonKardon has a receiver, HK-3480. 120 wpc...Have you heard HK?

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 21
Rotel RX-1050 Receiver? Not ruling out getting another receiver. It would be more convenient.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 538
Rick:

I have the Rotel RX-1050 receiver, and it is a very fine receiver (albeit a bit expensive), but I think the NAD integrateds are a better match for the Athenas. The NADs are every bit as detailed, but they have a warmer sound than the Rotels, and the overall sound is much more satisfying, IMHO. I would look very hard at getting the NAD C370, which is being closed out at Saturday Audio for only $499 (www.saturdayaudio.com). I personally believe that is a killer deal, although their "Deals Page" says they only have 10 left, so the window is small on this one.

Alternatively, I would also recommend the NAD 742 receiver, which if used only for 2 channels, is a very hefty 60 wpc (50 wpc x 5)--I say hefty because I heard it in two channel stacked up against a couple of 100 wpc receivers (Onkyo and Denon) and the NAD was easily the most powerful receiver of the group. Cleaner sounding, too. Also, its dynamic headroom is rated at 90 wpc, I believe, so it has plenty of good power to drive your Athenas. Saturday Audio is closing them out for $399.

Anyways, just a couple of thoughts . . .

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 22
Many Thanks Hawk. I always apprciate your comments. I am going to try and get the NAD-C370 from Saturday Audio. I sent them an Email hoping that they'd get it before I could get a call in considering their abbreviated hours. As an alternate how about the NAD-C372? I read some threads saying that it is not as good as the C370. I do want to stay with a stereo unit and would like 100wpc+.

Bronze Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 25
If you have a couple of extra c-notes on hand you can get the c160-c270 combo for $699 at spearit sound.com??? Just another option...

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 24
Did manage to get Saturday Audio on the phone today and ordered the NAD-C370 Amp & C422 Tuner.
Thanks again, Hawk! Very much looking forward to the setup.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 540
Enjoy!

Bronze Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 27
Hey rick, just for my info how much did they charge you for the c422... The list price on saturday's site says 249 (really it's 299) and I am quite curious as to how much they may or may not have taken off of their 249 list price...

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 25
LOL...$259!!! He did say list price was $299.
I guess there is a surcharge for customers from Michigan! It's a Mid-West rivalry thing I guess.
I didn't challenge him 'cause I was really happy to get the C370. Not to mention no tax. It's $25 to ship from Chicago to Ann Arbor.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 28
Mr.Hawk....
I received the Nad C370 today. The Athenas still have a tiny edge to some voices but it's OK. Maybe it's the recordings. Overall the sound is richer, fuller. The Yamaha was sharp and metallic, better used with my Polk RT3s. Thanks for the advice...

Unregistered guest
Anyone familiar with the Jolida 1015RC? 100wpc hyprid, very well reviewed on Audioreview, and they show up on Audiogon for $450 or so with upgraded tubes.

Personally, I like the idea of a hybrid (with a remote no less.)

*waiting to be set straight...*

Username: Mbodner

Post Number: 1
I have a Jolida 1015RC with a JD-100 CD player. They sound great on the Athena's. The tube preamp on the 1015RC smooths the brightness with no sacrifice in detail. The JD-100 level mod has the tube output stage and is a nice match. It is really a great combination. Some friends have easily spent 5x what I have in my system and their's sound no better. That also adds greatly to my personal satisfaction.

Username: Silvares1

Post Number: 1
I am looking at getting the HK 3480 and the Athena AS-F2. Do you think they would be a a good match?

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 46
I have not heard the HK-3480 but I've read that there is something to be desired as far the sound is concerned. All I can say is that the Athenas are a little on the bright side so you need a warm amp. The NAD C370 I have works well with the Athenas. Also, it seems to be tough to find a fine 2 channel receiver at a reasonable price. The Rotel RX-1052 is something to consider but it is expensive and not easy to buy on the internet. You might as well go with an integrated amp & tuner. Much more to choose from.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us