Bi Amping w/ No Sub out

Username: Dagreek

Poughkeepsie, N.Y. United States

Post Number: 2
I have an old stereo receiver, Kenwood KLH127 w/ no sub out. I looking to hook up 4 Polk Monitor 50's. I like the clarity of the speakers, the bi amp feature and I have space issues. The only problem is not much bass. I'm going to use them with my yamaha surround amp as surround but also want to bi amp them to my kenwood using the same powered sub. (Polk Psw120)I figured on using the sub out only on the Yamaha and hooking the sub up to the kenwood using the speaker level imputs. Since I have no sub out on the kenwood I'd like to know if I can double wire the speakers from the kenwood to the sub prior to hooking up the speakers? Will the built in sub crossover work if I double wire? I know some people will probably say just use the yamaha for music as well as movies but the yamaha sounds awful for music and I like the old fashioned stereo sound w/equalization for music rather than using 5.1 and DSP's which is mostly reverb. Any answers/advice would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7982

Are you asking if you can connect one subwoofer to two amps at the same time? If so, the standard answer is no. It is a foolish thing to try and risks damaging both amplifiers. One or the other but not both.

Post Number: 5
Will I risk damage if I run the LFE cable only to one amp and run speaker wire only to the other? I only plan on using one amp at a time.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7988

Will you risk damage? Yes. Is it worth the risk? You seem determined to find out. The risk is forgetting to turn one amplifiier off when powering up the other. If you are confident you, or anyone else using the system, can always remember to always have on the appropriate number of amplifiers, you can make this connection. If there is any doubt about how two amplifiers might be powered on at the same time, then you have a risk.

On the other hand, whether the amplifiers are on at the same time or not, you have introduced another load element to the outputs of whichever amplifier is playing. This is called jerry-rigging. While this marvel of engineering feats usually gets you by for a short time, it is best to set up a system as the manfufacturer intended and not second guess or risk where electrons will prefer to flow.

Good luck!

Post Number: 7
If I find when I get the Monitor 50's home and they have enough bass from the kenwood w/ out the sub, could I just unplug the the Yamaha or run it on a different circuit while still having both amps connected to the speakers. In essence having a signal from only one amp at all times. Thanks.

Post Number: 8
Sorry. I didn't read your reply before I ran the last post. I definately don't want to tax the system or run any risk of damage. That's why I'm here. If it dosen't work I'll go to plan b,c etc. You seem to really understand my dilemma, Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7991

See my post in your alternate search for an answer to the imponderable quest for the impossible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us