Amp cut off and on!!! Whats the problem?

Username: Demon69

Post Number: 1
I have a Sony XM-2200GTX(rms 500) hooked up to an Audiobahn 10" sub(rms 600). In matter of minutes, the sub cut out and goes back on... off...on...?Whats cousing this problem?

Username: Riffman

Post Number: 7
It could be anything. I'm no expert nor do I know much about your receiver but I had similar problems with my Onkyo SR601. I fixed it by:

1. turning crossover on the sub all the way up
2. on the receiver, I set the speakers on small and the crossover frequency to 80 hz
3. set output level for sub much higher than the other speakers (10 db for sub, -1 for fronts)

Username: Riffman

Post Number: 8
if you have a crossover set on the sub and on the receiver, the two compete and it doesn't work well. also, if you are listening at very low volumes then the sub isn't going to be triggered (or course)

Jan Vigne
Unregistered guest
Betcha you were playing it pretty loud weren't you. If this is the case the answers is don't try to find out what your 500 watt amp and 600 watt sub sound like at full volume. And full volume can be long before you turn the volume control all the way up or run past +1dB. If this is the case you have hit thermal shut down.

Anonymous

i have to 12" fosgates and just a tiny 200 watt 2 channel amp and it pushes the 12's fine but my ? is when i turn my car on the speakers wont play until i mess w/ my rca hookups and suggestion on how i can fix this problem

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 701
get new RCA hook ups. The cables are probably cut somewhere by the input jacks. Check the continuity of the cables.

Anonymous

I'm hookin up 2 amplifiers and a crossover. The amp that pushes the subs keeps cutting off and then coming back on. It plays fine for a few minutes, then when the volume is turned up it cuts off and on. What's the problem???

Unregistered guest
Anonymous, thought you were the speaker expert, based upon your (mostly negative) replies to my posts. Your amp is seeing too low an impedence, and going into thermal protection to avoid blowing up. Ya need a better amp or higher impedence subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us