Using PC Speakers for Home Theater

Username: Muggzzi

Post Number: 1
I would like to use my Altec Lansing 5.1 surround sound (gaming) speakers for home theater. Can this be done with a receiver? Or a converter? Or, run the system through the PC? Thanks?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 514
yes, you can do all of that, just don't expect much.
You can use a receiver to drive all the speakers. If you want to use the PC, you will still need a receiver to make use of 5.1 surround, unless your PC can drive all the speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 87
I believe your Altecs are active so no need for a receiver/amplifier. What will you use as player? PC or a separate DVD-player? You might need to get a decoder like the Creative DDTS-100.

Post Number: 2
I am a bit of a novice to this. I have a new Zenith LCD TV, DVD player and satellite. I would prefer to not involve my PC of possible. But, could.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
What kind of inputs do you have in your speakers? a 5.1 analog (usually 3 minijacks) or perhaps a digital in (RCA or toslink)?

I'm 95% certain that they have 5.1 analog input, wich means you'll have to get this:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9 468

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Or, if your DVD-player has DD/DTS decoders and a 5.1-analog output (usually 6xRCA) you can plug your speakers directly to your DVD-player.

Would have some specs on your speakers, url or type or something? And also the type of DVD-player.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your help. Here is the info page on the speakers. Would like to know if you can ascertain whether or not I need the DDTS-100.

http://www.alteclansing.com/downloads/251%20QCC.pdf

Post Number: 4
This is the DVD -

http://www.govideo.com/Download/DVR4400_specsheet.pdf

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Okay. You can have stereo-sound out of that system, but not real 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS. That is because neither of your device has a multichannel decoder.

To get stereo sound just follow the instrutions on the speakers manual. From DVDs audio line-out to the speakers green miniplug, just get a suitable adapter between.

To get real 5.1 sound you'll have to buy a decoder (like the DDTS-100) or new speakers or new dvd-player or for decent audio quality new av-receiver and speakers to go with it.

Post Number: 5
Thanks much for your help.

Post Number: 6
FYI - Just got it working. Thank you!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
no prob.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums