Newbie DVD-A using audigy 2 platinum help appreciated

Username: Damitall

Post Number: 1
Hi; I have a MCE computer with an audigy 2 platinum sound card hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-815 receiver and need some help playing DVD-A's. I currently am running 5.1 analogue out of the card, and have selected analogue output from the soundblaster software. I use PowerDVD software to play the DVD-A's. My questions are the following; 1) should I use the card's decoder, or the recievers? My intuition of course is the latter. If this is the case, 2) what processing mode should I use on the reciever to get the best effect? 3) How should I set up the speaker configuration in the soundblaster setup to make sure this works, other than selecting analogue output? and finally 4)What configuration options work best with the PowerDVD software?

That's it, I know they're simple questions, but I am really looking forward to checking out the DVD-A format. Any help would be appreciated.

Best,
Jack

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 120
I had some trouble setting up my equipment and got help from the AVS forum. You can try posting your same question there. Here is a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=112

I really like this forum for getting ideas on what music to buy and what are the best DVD-A's and SACD's. But when you ask a question here it can take a while to get an answer. Whereas the AVS forum is much busier and somebody will respond quickly.

Post Number: 2
Hey, Thanks a lot for the quick response. I'll try what you suggest, but if anyone sees this and has suggestions, I'll still check to see. Thanks again.

Best,

Jack

Username: Sonic2367

Post Number: 1
For playing DVD-A with Creative soundcard, the only output option is analog out.
You cannot use the receiver decoder since is no way to send digital signal in the 5.1 24bit/96kHz form via the sound card SPDIF. And is deactivated anyway because of copyright issues.

Post Number: 3
Hi; Thanks SN - I have it going from analog out from the soundcard to analogue inputs in my reciever. Can't I then use the reciever's decoder, or is it necessary to decode first to send it through the right channels from the card?

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 448
Yes, you decode it in sound card. I.e. the DSP and DAC processing is done there.

Cheers
AL

Username: Sonic2367

Newport News, VA US

Post Number: 2
You HAVE to decode it in the PC since is no other way to send it to the receiver. Anyway, how is supose to decode DVD-A your receiver (because I don't know of any receivers that can do that)?

Post Number: 4
Hi; Thanks again everyone. Like I said, I'm a newbie. I got it all running alright now. I switched to the creative DVD player which I found easier than powerdvd. The upshot is after all the hassle with this I'm considering buying a standalone player.

Best,
Jack
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us