Advice for $500 sub

Username: Arkimus

Post Number: 1
I have been looking at the Mirage S12, Hsu VTF-2, Velodyne DPS 12 or B&W ASW650 ($500 from friend) for my HT sub. Any advice on which one is a better choice in build and sound quality?

Thanks.

Username: Bbaskin

South of Houston, Texas

Post Number: 3
Have looked at the svs pb10 it may only be a 10" but it out performs most 12". Have you tried researching these subs on the avs forum, it is a great forum for reseaching.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7157
The subs you mentioned are all built quite nicely and quality is top notch. Sound quality however is a totally subjective matter and totally dependent on the individual's ears.

You cannot go wrong with any of the choices you have mentioned above, the only thing that should sway you are your preferences. Only you can determine that.

Username: Arkimus

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Bill. I will look into the AVS forum for some more information on these subs.

Berny, thanks for your help. I'm glad build quality is not a factor.

Bronze Member
Username: Kinggimp82

Post Number: 39
just for ur info the hsu stf-2 performs like the Hsu VTF-2 in max extension mode. you will probably never use the max output mode. especially if ur use is for HT. I own a stf-2 and love it. and ull save $100.00 :-)

the svs pb10 is another good sub. its not as musical as the stf-2 but goes lower. for strictly HT id go with the svs pb10. if you listen to alot of music too id go with the hsu stf-2.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8371

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Tom%20Subwoofer.htm

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1441
Jan

I happened to notice the edge surround on the sub bass units driver, was foam!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8382

And?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1443
What do you mean And? I thought you where someone that can think?

Well come on we both know foam rots with a few years time, due to the air and temperature differences.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8388

A few years? Even in foggy old London, I think you can stretch that projection a bit; don't you? How do you know today's foam surrounds react the same way foam surrounds from the 1970's did? Materials are better and the chance of rot is minimized in today's drivers. Foam has decided benefits in some ways over rubber surrounds. That's why it was used in the first place. You seem to be looking at one thing and assuming everything is equal. It's not. Hifi is scary stuff, Andy, it's not meant for the weak of heart. If the thought of your foam surrounds potentially rotting away scares you too much, don't buy this sub. Otherwise, the recommendation stands since this should be a dynamite sounding product for very little money compared to the more commercial competition. If you have questions about the sub, call the manufacturer.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1063
its not like the foam that is used in the surround in that sub is the same grade that is used in what you would find in Bose or KLH.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1445
Jan

I'm not knocking it, it's when you hear one horror story about foam and another and another, you start to investigate it, thou I'm sure the edge foam surround on that is high numbers.

As for my sub bass it's not foam surround. Anyway I'm sure it will work out fine for the unbelievable cost that it's going for.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1446
As for other make, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot barge pole!

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 400
Oye!..Foam surrounds...Twice bitten third time shy. I could tell you about my 80's Large Advent bass drivers...disintegrated surrounds after the first ten years. The surrounds of the next set of woofers, at $100 a pop (mid 90's vintage) separated from their cones after ten years. Foam? No Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 68
Would the Paradigm PW2200 v.2 be a good pick up for less than US$500?

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1122
they are quite boomy to my ears. I believe you can do better for that price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us