Upgrade from Denon 2200

Username: Palmtree

Post Number: 2
I'd like to get some good advice. I'm interested in upgrading my CD player.

I'm considering the NAD 542, Cambridge Audio 640c v2, and the Onix xcd-99. Haven't read much about the Onix. Anyone have any opinion on it? Will I notice improvement with these players vs. my Denon? I have Ohm Micro Walsh Tall speakers, which sound great, currently driven by a Denon avr-1804 receiver(and have an Outlaw 2150 on order).

Bronze Member
Username: Bvan

Cape Town, Copenhagen,...

Post Number: 97
i've just upgraded my 2200 to a rega apollo, which by most peoples account should be better than the nad or cambridge(both of which are fine players apparently).

though it is an improvement no doubt, in absolute terms it is very marginal, at least compared to what i had expected.
(the rega was the first player apart from the denon i had heard in my system, so i didnt know what to expect)

i suspect you would hear an improvemt, but its always impossible to quantify subjective differences into words. my advice would be to not buy anything without hearing it in your system first, just so's you dont get dissapointed by the magnitude of improvement. i dont know your speakers or receiver, but you might well get better returns on your dollar by spending money their, or on more acoustical treatments. the 2200 is a pretty good redbook player IMHO.

cheers

b.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us