Need Info on Pioneer PL-12D

Username: Logos

Kopavogur, IS Iceland

Post Number: 1
Hello everybody (anybody).

I have a Pioneer PL12D but I can't seem to find any information about in on the net. Can you tell me or point me in the right direction (on the web or just write me) were I can find info about review or how good this one is? Is it expensive for turntables? Is a cheap Project turntable better or as good or worse :-(? If you know any web page which goes into how to clean the PL-12D would also be very much appreciated.

Please note that there may be some spelling errors since I am an Icelander and Live in Iceland (of course).

Regards
Birgir

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7905

The 12D was a budget table ($49-69) for Pioneer which represented a beginning point for belt drive turntables in the mid 1970's. The arm is crude and has fairly high friction in the bearings. The 12D was a step above what was being sold by BSR and Garrard at the time. It was easily bettered in all aspects of performance by any Dual, Philips or Thorens for a few dollars more. What is it you want to clean on the table?

Kopavogur, IS Iceland

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your reply. I think I need to do a complete work out on it but I will be using some alcahol spirit to clean the platter underneath were the rubber turns the platter and maybe get a new rubber there is also a bit of hum. So you would think the ProJect turntable (the cheap one) would out perform it. Been thinking about the Pro Ject turntable maybe I should just buy one of those?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7907

I can't imagine it can't. I asked the Magic Eight Ball and it replied, "Now is the time for action". Guess that says it all.

Kopavogur, IS Iceland

Post Number: 3
I have definetly been living in the delusion that the PL12 would be a "good" turntable. Awell. Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Birgir

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7913

It probably sounds better than a cheapo Sony that you would find today at Best Buy; but the 12D was a low end turntable in its day, which was thirty years ago.

Kopavogur, IS Iceland

Post Number: 6
I took the Red grado pick-up from the PL12 and placed it on a newer Pioneer PL 340 (which I know is not as good) and the sound definetly did go south. I am going to clean the PL12 and start saving money for the Pro-ject Xpression II. Cant wait to get one. Would you recomend any specific phono stage? I was thinking about buying the Azur 640P. Maybe the cheap phono stage from Pro-ject is better than the azur. I can also have a decent lamp phono stage build for me for a good (a bit more expensive then the Azur 640P) price.

Aaaa choices choices :-( what to do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us