Help with new Music/HT system !!!!!!

Username: Simmonsgene

Post Number: 1
Hello All,

I am long time audio enthusiast who hasn't upgraded his audio equipment since 1990. I've been reading all over this forum, trying to figure out how to put together a great but cost effective musicly oriented system. I'm a closet rock star guitar player, and like to jam along with my CD's and Concert DVD's. Sometimes I just drop the guitar and just enjoy the music. I like all music styles.

The biggest problem I have is that the room I'm working with is really small. 10' x 11'. (My wife has given me free reign with our smallest unused bedroom, so a Computer/Guitar Practice/Music room it is!)

This will be 90/10 Music/HT. I will probably start out with a 2.1 system, and expand it into 5.1 later. Sound quality is way more important to me than pure volume. I'd like to shy away from the whole Sat/Sub scene - Seems like I might do well going the bookshelf route, with a sub to cover the low end.

I'm going to retire the old gear to the garage, so I'll be buying everything new. I tend to keep my gear for a long time (I don't do much upgrading - I pretty much do exhaustive reasearch, audition as much as I can, then buy and enjoy).

I'm prepared to spend a reasonable amount of money (what I consider reasonable at least), but won't go too crazy. Receiver say 500.00 Front 2 Speakers 500-600. Sub 300.00 Also note, that the reason I'm asking for opinions, is that I've never auditioned a lot of this gear, and am not very knowledgable as to which components compliment which speakers. I'd like to use your experience to limit the audition playing field. Anyway, here's what I'm considering so far:

Receiver:

1) NAD T743 - Heard it's very musical, and can be had for about 500-600 ?

2) Marantz SR4600 - Have heard the SR7500 and was impressed. (389.00 @ accessories4less). Seems like a really solid value.

3) Denon AVR-1906 - Pretty standard choice by many, don't know if it will hold up to the others musically. Same price range as the others listed.

4) Outlaw Audio 1070 looks nice, but might be a bit outside my 500-600 price range.

Not too interested in Panasonic, Pioneer, Onkyo, HK or Yamaha.

Speakers:

Here's where I'm unsure. I'm actually listing some of these based strictly on reviews and specifications. I've only listened to the B&W's and the Polks. In no particular order:

1) Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-10

2) Axiom M3Ti

3) PSB Image B25

4) Polk Audio RTi6 (Mass market Circuit City stuff I know, but I like it's full sound)

5) B&W 600 S3

I've heard good things about Ascends, but although Sound quality is the most important thing, looks play a small factor too, and I just don't like the boring black box.

Sub:

Although the room is small, I'll probably still need a sub to fill in the lows:

1) HSU STF-1
2) Velodyne VX-10

Any advice you experts can give would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I've overlooked anything obvious, and I'd appreciate any feed back on the choices I've listed above.

Thanks alot!

Post Number: 2
Surely someone out there can help me....

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3697
If you can find the NAD T743 for $500-600 then that's probably what I'd get too.

One speaker I'd add to your list would be the Ascend 170SE, do a Google search for reviews of it (the classic cbm-170 version) and you'll see why.

In such a small room I'd get the Hsu STF-1 or Outlaw LFM-2. However if you might be moving to a larger room in the future I might go to an STF-2 or even a Mirage S12 which is currently going for the same price as the STF-2 at vanns.com

On the other hand, if you are a 90% music listener you might be best off just buying a really good 2-channel receiver/amp like a NAD c372 or the Outlaw RR2150 and you might even get by without a sub, just buy a good bookshelf that goes down to 40Hz or so.

The Alegria Audio Emma comes to mind but you will need 3-4 feet behind them to avoid boominess due to their huge rear ports.

Post Number: 3
The speakers will probably be close to the wall since I don't have much space. I guess I should look for speakers that are front ported? Will that keep boominess to a minimum ?

Thought about the 2 channel receiver, but I might want to use surround for games or movies on the PC, so probably will stick with 5.1.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3699
yes front-ported should be easier in terms of placement.

I'd look at these:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=WHARFD9%2E2B&product_nam e=Diamond%209%2E2%20Compact%20Speakers%20-%20Pair
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us