Boston Acoustics speakers -- a good match for...

Username: Inkandsilver

Athens, Ohio

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I am looking into getting new speakers for both of my receivers -- a Yamaha RX-360 (45 wpc x2 ch.) and a recent Onkyo 5.1 set (can't recall the model and it's not with me right now). I have had Boston Acoustics speakers in the past and enjoyed them, but I am wondering if they would be a good match for these two types of receiver. And if not, what might you recommend. This will be on a budget and will likely involve trying to find quality used stuff. I'm looking in particular at a pair of A150s at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Athens, Ohio

Post Number: 2
[crickets]

Hmm...maybe this is a stupid question? I'm (obviously) not all that knowledgeable. Maybe I'll try to be less vague. I'd like to find a pair of gently used floorstanders that are under $250. Sucks to be a poor grad student. Are Boston Acoustics a good match for the Yamaha; do they tone down (what I understand to be) the Yamaha's brightness? Or are there any other make/model recommendations? Many thanks....

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 143
honestly, and dont take this wrong, for under 250, I think your going to have to settle for the best deal you can get! JMO though, and it really doesnt matter much as it isnt my hard earned cash.

Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 4
You can get new Wharfedale 8.3s from Amazon.com for that price, if you like the sound...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005IA32

Maybe you could try craigslist for sellers in towns close to yours.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 848
BAs are a little bright to my ears so if you matched them with a bright Yamaha, I'm thinking that won't be good. LOL

Ascend 170SEs might float your boat although they won't give you much bass and they're about $350/pair shipped. The Wharfdales also have gotten decent reviews, though. Good luck, Dave

Athens, Ohio

Post Number: 3
Thanks, all, for the advice and recommendations. I'll re-post once I make a decision.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3721
warm sound with more bass than the Ascend 170s would be the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s which audioadvisor.com has for $350/pair right now.

Tradeoff is that the Wharfies are 6 ohm speakers with lower sensitivity than the Ascends so they might be harder for entry-level receivers to drive.

If you liked BA speakers in the past then you should be ok with Athena AS-B1.2s, $120/pair from audioadvisor.com which are 8 ohms and put out some surprisingly decent bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us