Boston Acoustics AVR 7100 & AVR 7120: Great Pre/Pro sections?

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_s

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 25
Anyone notice that prices for these have been slashed? ($700 and $1,000) Reportedly, they both share the pre-pro components of the Outlaw 990. Can anyone confirm this? If so, the 7100 would be great for HT setup favoring two channel. You could run a great two channel power amp through a supposedly great preamp. Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 678
Mark:

I don't think that is correct. I believe these are made on the same line as the Sherwood Newcastle HT receivers, using much the same parts as the Sherwoods, not the Outlaw. I have noticed how these are being blown out, though, so I expect they will be orphan products before long. Nevertheless, they are being sold at a very attractive price. I wish I had a local dealer to go listen to them.

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_s

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 26
Thanks for the reply, Hawk. According to a post over on the Outlaw board, both the Sherwood Newcastle and the Boston use the 990 as basis for their pre-amp section. I don't know where they are getting their info because I can't find anything about it.

I might take the plunge and order the 7100. But I still would like to know about the quality of its pre-pro section. Is it the same as the 7125 but for $300 less. Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 684
Mark:

Oh, so it does use the same pre/pro section. I knew about the Sherwood connection but not the Outlaw connection. Very interesting! I usually find out about these things through trolling the internet--you can find some pretty amazing stuff if you have the time (most people don't; alas, I am afraid I do). That is how I learned the Arcam and NAD receivers also have the same internals.

I know that the Boston receivers are being sold through One Call and one other major internet retailer (escapes me at this moment), but if they have a 30 day trial, why don't you get it and let us all know? Just an idea . . .

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 33
Being a Sherwood Newcastle owner I can say they make great sounding receivers. But they aren't the most user friendly devices. I've relegated my Newcastle R-956 to the 3rd bedroom because its so frustrating to operate. I'm guessing the Boston Acoustics receivers share the exact same ergonomics as the 865 and 965 receivers.

Getting thru the user manual is painful.

If you're gonna spend $1K, look for other receivers for contrast and comparison. The BA is a good deal though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us