Bass output

Username: Buckchester

Post Number: 4
Hello, I recently bought a new Yamaha receiver (HTR-5840). It's a great sounding receiver (great clarity) although there is one issue I have with it - the amount of bass output it produces seems low. Before I bought this new receiver I had been using an old Sony stereo receiver (STR-V45) for over 20 years. I bought this receiver in 1981 along with a pair of JVC speakers (I'm still using the speakers). The Yamaha has better clarity then the Sony, but it doesn't come close to matching the bass output of the Sony and I have no idea why this is. The Yamaha is an HT receiver, although, I have just a 2-channel stereo set-up for listening to music. I do not have a subwoofer, but I don't need one with the speakers I have. I have the Yamaha receiver set-up so that all of the bass output comes from my two fronts, I have it in 2-channel stereo mode, I have the bass turned up to the max, and I still cannot achieve satisfactory bass. The speakers are not coming even close to being overworked. The speakers are fully capable of producing all the bass I need. These are 8ohm speakers, so they should be working fine with my new receiver. The speakers are 60W RMS and 120W peak. My new receiver is listed at 85W RMS per channel. My old Sony receiver was about 90W per channel. What gives?? Can anyone please offer me any advice? I have no idea what the problem is.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 420
Jim: please tell us your brand (JVC) and model of speaker... it could help.

I don't have the HTR-5840 Yamaha so don't know all the bass calibration things you can or can't do with it. From what you wrote... and I read... it seems that you have it setup correctly. That is that you configured the system and told it you only have 2 speakers (front L/R) and no LFE/sub woofer.

Also, please quantify what "satisfactory bass" is. Windows shattering? Cats screaming in agony? Things falling off the shelf in the neighbors apartment?

Unfortunately, it could be a case where the old receiver was generating so much "distortion" that what you were getting was distorted bass which "sounded" better because things were shaking and rattling. Now that your system has improved... I think... you may be experiencing "faster" and "punchier" bass without the distortion... making you believe the bass isn't there anymore.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. I hope someone else jumps in and we can work through your issue and see what it could be.

Username: Buckchester

Post Number: 5
geekboy: thanks for your response.

I don't have the model of speaker in front of me...I'll post that when I get a chance.

When I mean satisfactory bass, I mean being able to adequately power my speakers. If I have the bass turned all the way up on the receiver and turn the volume level up to quite a significant level, I should be able to power my speakers to a point where I can see some significant cone excursion. I can't really do this with the Yamaha receiver. It seems as though I have to turn the volume up to ear-shattering levels before experiencing even a little cone excursion from my speakers. The bass output from the Yamaha receiver is definitely cleaner than the Sony, but it just doesn't have the same amount. I have another system (Yamaha receiver with a Paradigm set-up including a Paradigm PW-2200 sub) so I do understand the difference between clean and clear and distorted bass output. That said, it was not simply more distorted bass output that I received from the Sony, but higher output altogether. With the JVC speakers I use, which at 8ohms, 60W RMS, and 120W peak, the 85W of RMS power per channel that the Yamaha produces should be enough to sufficiently power my speakers. The speakers are capable of producing a large amount of bass, but for some reason the Yamaha isn't producing this.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 426
Jim: I agree. It should be able to provide sufficient bass for you given the power capabilities. Maybe it *is* something in how you configured the bass management in the Yammie.

Username: Skyler

Duncan, Oklahoma U.s.

Post Number: 1
hey, jim bob i have the same problem i recently bought 2 12" lightning audio speakers with 750 watt max power, the system sounds good but i don't get any bass w/o blasting my ears off with the volume if you hear anything or got any sugguestions please let me know thanks,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us