Receiver choice advice please

Username: Svnft

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for a receiver that meets the following requirements:

- a good value, I'm not looking to spend a lot

- at least 1 digital optical input for an Xbox360

- at least 1 digital coaxial input to connect a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card

- 5.1 Analog inputs to connect a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card (for PC games)

-it's a small room so it doesn't need to be many watts

and while I am here, any recommendations on some 5.1 speakers for watching TV, an occasional DVD, and playing XBox 360 & PC games? Again, I don't want to spend a lot of money, more or a best value type thing. ~$200-$350 range is desirable for everything.

Is this something I should be eBaying?

thanks for the replies.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6800
You are a perfect candidate for a Home Theater in a Box.

Do a search on the Onkyo Home Theater System (HT-S680B).

Username: Dalley

Post Number: 4
I believe the Yamaha HTR-5840 fits the bill. Just picked up one yesterday for about $299 and like it so far....

Gold Member

Post Number: 6813
That's as good as any...just don't get Durabrand from Walmart:-)

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 410
Berny: haha... Durabrand. When I saw that thing, I just turned away and laughed out loud! :-)

I agree with my fellow posters. The Home Theater In A Box is a good solution for you. Personally, I like the Onkyo which Bernie mentions. I almost bought that one for my bedroom Plasma TV.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6844
Dude, I see a lot of people buying that stuff! Then they come here and complain about how it doesn't work after a few months...lol!

Username: Brianw

Post Number: 2
I think you might like the Logitech Z-5500 or Z-5450, I have one on my computer, hooked up to my cable box as well, but could hook up to xbox. Then just use video switching on your TV...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlist/US/EN,crid=2172,categoryi d=422

Gold Member

Post Number: 6876
That seems like a logical choice as any.

Post Number: 2
thanks guys,

after Berny's recommendation I was looking into the Onkyo HT-S780, it had one more optical that the 680 that I could see needing if the PS3 ever comes out. My only issue was the size, it's quite a beast for the small room I would be using it in.

The Z-5450 does indeed look like a good match, except I feel I'm not getting as much bang for the buck as the HT-S780. However, it's size is a big plus.

decisions, decisions.

Post Number: 3
You can find a TOSLink hub/switch on eBay for cheap...

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the hub info Brian, that will make my search easier.

After looking into the Z-5500 more, I realized I forgot a requirement. I would like to be able to hook up my TV too, and right now it doesn't go through a cable box and only has RCA outs.

Is there anyway I can hook up the TV?

I found the Z-5500 for $210 at buy.com with free shipping, which seems nice like a good value.

Post Number: 5
Well, in my situation I am running a Dell 2001FP monitor which has composite, s-video, rgb, and DVI inputs and I can switch between each of them, so I have DVI hooked up to computer, rgb not being used, composite from my dvd player, and rgb for cable box. I had hoped to use the DVI with my cable box, but my cable provider purposely disabled the DVI output on the box, figures... when you first turn it on the DVI works but then an onscreen messages comes on telling you that you need to switch to component video and then kills the DVI signal... it's a Motorola HDTV DVR if anyones knows the magical method to unlock it... ??

There are other means of video switching though, ie most VCR's for example will have coax, plus composite inputs on the back + front. In my family room, my Sony XBR TV has a total of 7 inputs: composite, s-video, dvi, and dual components. It might help to know more about your TV when deciding though.

$210 seems like a deal for the Logitech's, free shipping is a plus since the sub weighs a lot! I did the jog dial volume control and it comes with a handy remote control too. Other handy feature is it makes a easily accessible headphone jack available that will cut out the speakers for you when you plug in. There are coupons for Buy.com out there as well:

http://www.scoreadeal.com/coupons/buy.asp

Post Number: 6
doh, I meant s-video for cable box, sorry for confusion, can't seem to find a way to edit.

Post Number: 4
Hi Brian,

thanks again.

I was referring to my TV's audio, not video.

I went ahead an bought the Z5500's from buy.com, I figure worst case is that I can't listen to the TV through the speakers, but I mainly needed it for the PC games/XBox360.

I think I saw some RCA to TOSlink adapters too, maybe they would work until I grab an HD DVR from my cable company. Those have digital outputs.

thanks again everyone.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 427
Brian: yeah. My cable company has disabled the DVI on their HD DVR and standard HD receivers as well! It's a shame! I don't know why they don't enable them. I have BrightHouse... but will probably be switching to FiOS Cable soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us