Receiver cutting-out

Username: Woody716

Post Number: 1
I hooked up my turntable to my Marantz receiver with a cheap Pyle pre-amp. The problem is, when I turn it up fairly loud, the speakers cut-out and the only thing I can hear is the sub. It goes in and out but seems to work fine at lower levels. My receiver has never done this so I'm assuming it has something to do with the new turntable addition. Could a bad pre-amp cause this?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7837

You are probably overdriving the inputs of the Marantz receiver. Are you taking the phono signal from a tape out jack?

Post Number: 2
Don't think so. The turntable only has one set of outputs. It is going into a tape input.
(turntable->preamp->tape2 in)

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7847

Yes, I assume the Pyle's pre amp is overloading the pre amp on the Marantz. I'm not concerned with where you have the Pyle plugged in, it is still feeding the pre amp on the Marantz from any line level input. I'm asking if you are taking the signal from the tape out of the Pyle. If you are coming out of the variable outputs of the Pyle, you are probably putting too high a voltage into the Marantz's inputs.

Post Number: 3
Oh, the Pyle is just a phono preamp it only has one set of outs, and no level adjustments or anything. It sounds like I should have spent a lttle more than 20 bucks on a phono preamp. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Thanks for all your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us