I hate to ask....which receiver

Username: Zman1858

Post Number: 1
I have an open floor plan, going to run Bose Acoustimass 10 in the main room and the room next to it (no wall) a pair of Bose 161's. I would really like a 2 zone receiver. I'm really lost on 6.1 and 7.1. I was looking at Sony STR-DE898. It seems that the only 2 zone receivers that I can find are 7.1's. The a/b switching will be for the speakers on the party deck, so I think I need a 2 zone receiver. I'm I messing up by getting a 7.1. I know the Sony is not pricey, but this hurricane has killed my pockets. Thanks for the input and sorry for the long post...........

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 403
C Dempsey: I might stay clear of the Sony STR-DExxx series. While the Bose Acoustimass 10 is nominal 6 ohms, I would think that you may have some issues with how loud you could get the system.

How large is your room? There are 2-zone receivers which aren't 7.1. You may be thinking of "powered" 2nd zone receivers (NAD, for example, doesn't have powered 2nd zone capability until you get into the higher end... 773).

If you really need to get the Sony, make sure you get it from Circuit City so you can return it (without penalty) if it doesn't work for you.

I don't really think the Sony will be able to do justice and power both those rooms and Bose speaker systems... adequately. Not even the Sony STR-DE998. But again, try it for yourself and be prepared to return the Sony.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 852
Dempsey do you actually own the speakers? I gotta tell you Bose+Sony don't make a decent combination quality or sound wise.

If you don't actually own the speakers yet, keep looking.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 853

Sorry about your experience with the hurricane.

Username: Zman1858

Post Number: 2
OK...I have the speakers...figured you can't go wrong with the Bose. Many friends have them and sound great. Money is tight for now. So... without spending big bucks, what receiver should I try. Also, I saw were I could get a dual source volume control... http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/vs2paspsedus.html will this be a good option to run. Thanks for the input....great board.....CWD

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3687
If you're stuck with the Bose speakers and are sure you won't be upgrading anytime soon, I'd say get the cheapest surround receiver you can find (go used or refurb) because a good more expensive one ain't gonna make much difference.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 685
Mr. Dempsey:

A happy St. Patricks's Day to you from one Irishman to another.

But let me get this straight. You want to run stereo sound to two differnet areas, right? Why are you messing with the unnecessary cost of a 7.1 receiver? Geekboy is exactly right that the impedence load of Bose speakers is frightening and most receivers ar simply not up to it. I would suggest you stick with a very good stereo receiver. Actually, come to think of it, do you really need a tuner? Few people do. I would then suggest a good integrated amp that can run two zones, such as an NAD C352. List price is $599, but you can get 20% off and it can handle your Bose speakers difficult impedence curve (unlike the Sony).

Now, if you still want a receiver to match those Bose, I would suggest a harman/kardon 340 receiver. The 340, as I understand it, has the capability to assign a couple of the amp sections to being a stereo amp for a second zone. H/K has a good design with a beefy power supply that can handle the wildly fluctuating impedence of the Bose. Also, its sound is very warm and melodious, which means it can tame the brightness of the Bose speakers. MSRP is $899, but you can find it substantially discounted if you shop around.

Good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 45
ahhh not the hurricane ;; if only they wiped out ur bose and ur insurance covered them :P just kidding my man. good luck finding a match for ur speakers and don't spend much money. i wouldn't throw much more than 2 hundred at the bose for a receiver, cause i don't think u will honestly find much to appreciate past that mark with them.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 46
sorry if i sound pessimistic, think i spelled it right... but since the bose are pretty mainstream, i would normally just suggest going to best buy and listening to the bose with different amp configurations. but upon thinking of doing this i come to the conclusion that there really couldn't be a worse way to waste your time than a/b'ing receivers with bose. do what u gotta do man, just don't throw much money at it is all :-)

Username: Thomh

Poulsbo, WA US

Post Number: 1
I have a Yamaha Surround Receiver, and Bose 201s/VC10 and 161s. Should I set the receiver on low or high impedence? Bose site doesn't say if they are low, high, or give a value.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3980
My sympathies for having those speakers...I'd try low impedance, nothing to lose.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us