Offset midrange

Anonymous

i have an 8 ohm tweeter an 8 ohm woofer and i want to know if putting a 4 ohm midrange on a cerwin vega three way crossover would drop the entire load to 4 ohm

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7759

It depends on how you put it on.

Anonymous

i was talkin about 1 per cabinet hooked directly to the midrange wires off the crossover..

what are my options?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 805
The best option would be to not do it.
Crossovers are unique to the speaker they are designed for. You can't randomly swap parts and expect good results.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7768

On the other hand, they are Cerwin Vegas. Good results are relative. Why do you think this is a good idea?

Bronze Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 46
i dont think its a good idea really.. i was tryin to determine if crossovers have any capabilities to hide the total impedance from the amp..

i know that a general crossover takes the power and cuts it up as per frequency chunks

i still have the idea that if it can give 100 watts to the woofer and 100 watts to the midrange and 100 watts to the tweeter with only 100 watts from the amp.. somewhere someone has probably found out how to hide the impedance from the amp

i dont have the inductance know how to play with the capacitors and resistors in series/parallel
im still tryin to learn right and wrong with theile small parameters

anyway.. i left the theory alone for now and found some 8ohm midranges that will fit

beLIEve

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1000
"i still have the idea that if it can give 100 watts to the woofer and 100 watts to the midrange and 100 watts to the tweeter with only 100 watts from the amp.. somewhere someone has probably found out how to hide the impedance from the amp"

Or... Somewhere someone has figured out how to put 100 watts into a speaker and get 300 watts to come out of it.

Just a little heads up... 100+100+100=300... Somewhere someone is missing something...

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 811
B:
Forget watts. It's irrelevant to this discussion.

If you don't have measurement equipment and the knowledge to use it all you can do is guess. Like I said, you can't randomly swap parts and expect good results. Heck, I change one resistor in an L pad and get a 5 db swing. You're talking about changing a driver which is a much greater change assuming it's not a direct replacement model.
Anyway, have fun experimenting.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1487
Listen to Timn8ter.

Yes, there are crossover ways to change the impedence that the amplifier sees (modifying the apparent load of each driver), but there is nothing plug-and-play that you can do without any knowledge of circuit design.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 47
"If you don't have measurement equipment and the knowledge to use it all you can do is guess."

your input needs to come from the answer book

does timn8ter always post crap? i ask

im sorry bud but im organized enough to pull a random driver out of the 8ohm pile and expect good results

i study for life long decisions

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 812
Yep, don't have a clue here.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 48
peter thanks for informing me that there is indeed a way

ill ask further when the need comes up again

and stu.. the frequency spectrum is split into three parts.. so essentially theres 100 watts from 10hz to 20khz

if you take 10hz thru 80hz thats 100 watts for the woofer

if you take 80hz thru 5khz thats 100 watts for the midrange

if you take 5khz thru 20khz thats 100 watts for the tweeter

its the same 100 watts but just split into frequency chunks because if you take 10hz-80hz at 100 watts you still have 80hz-20khz that have 100 watts of power to give out

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1488
Believe,

What Tim is trying to say is that there are more specs to consider in a woofer than nominal impedance.

i still have the idea that if it can give 100 watts to the woofer and 100 watts to the midrange and 100 watts to the tweeter with only 100 watts from the amp

...at any given moment, yes, a crossover can direct all of the amplifier's 100W to any of the drivers, assuming that the energy is within that driver's frequency range. What Stu meant is that crossovers don't make energy from nothing, which is what it sounded like you were saying.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7824

"i study for life long decisions"

Must make lunch a tough decision.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1003
"im sorry bud but im organized enough to pull a random driver out of the 8ohm pile and expect good results"

We're obviously not any where near as "organized" as you are, so why waste time with us? We only study for short life decisions.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1004
"...watts of power to give out."

One more thing o' organized one, speakers and crossovers don't "give out" any more watts than they take in. If they did, would't they be called amplifiers instead?

Ponder that one for a little while young grasshopper.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us