Trying to find the rright receiver.

Kevin H Wallen
Unregistered guest
i am looking for a reasonably priced 5.1 reciever.
I have paradigm legends (v.3) in the front and paradigm mini monitors (v.3) for surround. I dont want to spend too much money. Any suggestions? What do you think of the HK AVR-125 Z?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6649
Define reasonably priced?

Kevin H Wallen
Unregistered guest
Under $500 if possible

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 27
hi,
yamaha rx-v657
hk avr 340 if u can shell out the xtra $$, check out online prices for this guy especially with paradigm

another 2 good receivers that tends to compliment the paradigm sound imo are the marantz and denon. at the $500 price range however, i would just take a good listen to the yamaha rx-v657 with ur paradigms in a shop, then if u like;; buy the yammy online.

later

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3676
Kevin, look into the digital switching Panasonic xr55. A couple of threads about this receiver on different forums:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/160136.html

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1251&page=1&p p=10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=530504

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=417894

Here's somebody who sold their $2500 Rotel 1095 receiver after listening to the $230 Panny:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6492921#post6492921

A few caveats---very minor IMHO at this pricepoint: no pre-outs (would negate the whole point of a digital amp after all), subwoofer crossover only down to 80Hz, no room speaker EQ, primitive remote, no digital outputs, no OSD (onscreen display). Also may not be the best choice if you have lousy, overly bright speakers.

Just as some folks still prefer LPs to CDs and tubes to solid state, you might decide to stick with an analog receiver, I'll make no guarantees. But it's definitely worth hearing it to make up your own mind, in any case...it's a whole different animal!

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 858
The Yamaha RX V657 is probably their best receiver at the price point--and may well be the best AV surround receiver at the price point of anyone's receivers. One of my neighbors has one and I helped them set it up. I was impressed with the performance and ease of use and build quality.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 680
Kevin:

I like the h/k 125 as a stand alone unit, but not with your speakers. The Paradigms are a bit recessed sounding and so is the h/k receiver. Instead, your speakers need an amp with a more forward sound. I think the best receiver for those speakers is an NAD 7143. I have heard the NAD with your paradigms and it makes a superb combo. The Yamaha suggested by G. Stern is also a good choice. I do not like it as much as the NAD as Yamahas typically are a bit bright (too much upper midrange) for me, but the Paradigms will smooth out the brightness of the Yamaha. Nevertheless, my Paradigm dealer carries both NAD and Yamaha, so I have heard the combos, and both make for a good match with your Paradigms.

I know you can get the NAD for about $480, which is why I suggested it. Check with Kief's or Saturday Audio on the web.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7011
Hello Hawk,
Haven't read from you in a while!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 370
Hawk

Welcome back - long time no hear. A troll trying to pass as your son appeared here on the forum not too long ago with a story that you'd been killed in a boating accident - sounds familiar doesn't it? Anyway, hope you and yours are are well and I hope also we see more of you here as your advice and style has always been well respected.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2854
The Yamaha is a nice receiver at the price point but doesn't have the grunt to drive a full Paradigm system without an external amp. Many speakers in the Paradigm lines have enough of an impedence curve to make them a tricky load for a receiver without a beefy power supply. If you listen at low to moderate volumes the Yamaha could work. The Panasonic sounds terrible so I would be inclined to look at HK (which it appears that you are doing) and find the model that fits your budget. Beefier power supply and a good full sound.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 880
Hey Hawk,

What's your opinion on digital switching amplifiers? Especially the $230 Panasonic XR-55.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 682
Rantz:

Now I know how Mark Twain felt upon reading his obituary! ! ! That is the second time someone has tried to kill me off on this board. But I am alright and I have been missing my old friends. Nice to see you are still around.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 683
Kano:

My in-laws got that receiver as part of a HT package they received when they bought a new house. It drives some very non-descript in-walls that also came with the house, so I can't say it is a fair test of what the receiver can do. I will need to spend some time listening the the Panny at a good audio store before I would give an opinion. My father-in-law only listens to what used to be described as "elevator music", so that receiver will never be challenged!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us