Old speakers repair...

Bronze Member
Username: Stridergt

AthensGreec e

Post Number: 17
I have a pair of 1970s Philips 30W 3-way speakers. Inside one of them a metal round cap (around 3 cm diameter) was detached from the center of the woofer front surface. How can I glue the metal cap back on to the woofer? Can I use instant glue or will it destroy the woofer's membrane? Is there a special glue for this job? How does the metal cap affect the sound of the speaker, what is its purpose?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1511
It is a dust cover.
Glue it back on.

Oh, and 1970 called.
They want their speakers back.
And the van.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1512
In jest George, good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7733

The dust cap probably isn't needed on these speakers; it only does what the name implies. But, this could be the speakers trying to tell you something. If you must, place it back on the speaker with some contact cement.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 138
Jan, is this similar to the elmers glue trick? To stiffen woofers back up after years of abuse? Or am I that far off base?

Bronze Member

AthensGreec e

Post Number: 18
How can it be a dust cover since its so small (1.5 inches diameter) and inside the speaker cabinet?!?!?!
I had to unscrew the backplate of the speaker cabinet and the low freq speaker itself to find what was loose inside it. I have no access from the front side of the speaker cabinet which is covered with some kind of cloth. I know that it is glued with the low freq speaker membrane (centerspot), because I opened the other -intact- speaker too. It may add some weight or rigidness to the membrane but I do not know what type of glue to use??

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7734

So far off, one of the Harlem Globetrotters Southpaws could pick off first.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1538
Jan translated says WTF was the first post!?

Bronze Member

AthensGreec e

Post Number: 19
I guess I should not have mentioned the age of the speakers (anyway I love their sound)... But instead of nba trotters jokes I do not get, I could use some help by someone who knows what that thing is...

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1542
Sorry, George, I have the idea now.
Yes you can reattach the retainer ring with ordinary adhesive.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 803
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker3.htm

Bronze Member

AthensGreec e

Post Number: 20
Ok thanx everybody, you were right Nuck, according to Timn8ter's link, it is a dust cap! Since it is not playing any role sonically I won't bother puting it back. The thing is that one of the pair plays a bit louder-brighter than the other (tried with different amps too), and I thought the metallic cap was to blame, but I guess they got tired playing so/for many different genres/generations...

Bronze Member

AthensGreec e

Post Number: 21
nuck it was not the retainer ring your initial thought -dust cap- was the correct one.

Bronze Member
Username: Loce

Lilburn, GA

Post Number: 36
George, for more information about reparing these older speakers, you might consider visiting www. audiokarma.org.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us