Is This A Good Idea?

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
I am going to buy a set of Theater Research TR-1610's off ebay. I know, I know these are cheap speakers, but I can get them 300$ shipped to me. But the cabinets just look so good, im going to replace the boxes with better components.

I'll probably keep the x-overs, unless they can affect the sound. Should I change them?

Is this a good idea? Where is the best place to buy good quality replacment speakers at a good deal?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 754
HOLD OFF ON THE SCAM SPEAKERS!

for that price, you can get a pair of real speakers that will blow those away in terms of realism.

A pair of Paradigm Esprits only cost $100 more a pair, and are real speakers, and towers to boot! and are from a real dealer!

Paradigm make speakers that are priced all the way from $200 to roughly $5000 a pair! Check them out!

Usually when you but a set of speakers at that price, and the cabinets look great, a ton of compromises have been made in the drivers. And, the cabinets aren't that great either!

I don't have a lot of time to explain this right now unfortunatly...

just hold off of those speakers and try to check out some good high quality speakers. The paradigms were just my suggestion, because I own a pair.

www.paradigm.com

I apologise for the lousy explanation, hopefully someone else will come in and expand it to explain why you need to hold off on those.

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
Has anyone tried this before with success?

I also need a place to buy drivers that ships to Canada.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 399
Theater Research = Scam

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6642
Why spend all that time and money to have them shipped, replace the drivers, change the crossovers?

How much time and effort is it worth to go through all that versus getting speakers that you do not need to alter?

If you just want the cabinets, look around for the white vans, you can get it cheaper if you know how to really deal.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7737

Nuck - This is you again; isn't it? Another "joke", Nuck? It must be. No one would be stupid enough to fall for what this thread suggests.

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
Well suggest a better looking set of cherry towers, bi-wireable, and with 10" subs for under 300$

Thats what I thought.

No, it it not "Nuck" though I am a Canuck fan, when they win.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2835
Enjoy your Scam Speaks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1555
Jan, you be bustin' my balls for nothing.
Only Nuck and nothing else here.
Period.

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
Well my only other real option is a set of "BIC Acoustech" HT75's. But half the fun will be getting new speakers for the TR-1610. Ive been trying to get some Canyon Audio 310-T, but theres nowhere to buy.

Im upgrading from my Quest Futureshop system right now(QT-66, QC5, Q610) and im keeping my sub(Sony SA-WX700)and im buying a nice set of towers and a power amp(Kenwood Basic M2A)

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
Well my only other real option is a set of "BIC Acoustech" HT75's. But half the fun will be getting new speakers for the TR-1610. Ive been trying to get some Canyon Audio 310-T, but theres nowhere to buy.

Im upgrading from my Quest Futureshop system right now(QT-66, QC5, Q610) and im keeping my sub(Sony SA-WX700)and im buying a nice set of towers and keep my best Kenwood M2A( I used to have 3 but one went, very sadly) And now ill sell one and keep the best one for a stereo system.

Milagro
Unregistered guest
Gonzaga,

if you want to be that cheap I'd look into Fluance.com which are Canadian based and certainly more legit than Theatre Research for Chrissakes. They do have some towers in the price range you're looking at.

PS. Ditch the Sony sub first chance you get, that's a total POS.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1566
Canadians CAN make speakers.
And hockey players.
And, umm, yup, speakers.
Geez, it's cold.

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
Milagro,
first of all, go f*ck yourself, my sub is awsome.(the amp is made by BASH incase you didnt know)but yes usually sony is garbage.

I will look into Fluance. Well thanks anyways for the people helping me.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 763
ok... if you think sony makes good subs... you will probably be satisfied with a Bose system... so instead of buying those scam speakers...

go to your nearest chain store and buy the biggest scam speakers known to man

BOSE (at least consumer audio)

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
Scam is a pretty harsh word, atleast im not buying them from the back of a van.

My sub, for your information makes very clean bass, no boomyness at all, it kicked a 600$ Klipsch subs "rear-end".(damn that word check) What do you think about that?

BOSE...HAHAHA what a joke, I'd rather have a curtis boombox.

I'll find a set of Canyon Audio 310-T speakers online, then ill post back here with what I think.

This is a good board, its just so DAMN BIASED!!!

Thanks anyways you guys, I know your just trying to help,
Gonzaga

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 770
sure... it would kicl a klipsch subs "rear end" because the newer klipsch subs actually produce bass instead of harmonic distortion.

harmonic distortion (or loads of it in the case of the sony) will give you the impression of really deep, impressive bass.

so you can keep your sony, and be less than impressed with speakers and subs that are actually better. If this is the case, you will probably do well with those Theater Research speakers.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 771
*kick

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6656
You could probably get a better deal out of the back of a van. Just tell them that you don't need to hear their BS story line and just say you'll give $150 for the lot. Tell them you know about the whole sad story crap and let's deal! :-)

Don't forget the receipt.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 855
You should do some research into SDATs, they may be right up your alley. The cabinets are held together by paper glue instead of the chewing gum on Theatre Research.

You might as well buy them out of the back of a van, these are the speakers they are selling, and you will be able to get a better price. $300???

I'm bored at work so I'll do a little looking for the thread about these scam speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 856
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/3200.html

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 39
There's a whole lot of options other than, and better than " Theater Research TR-1610's ".

There's JBL, Yamaha, Wharfedale and a lot more who offer low priced speakers that will stomp all over those Theater Research TR-1610s.

But then again, going by your reaction to people trying to warn you, I'd say you and Theater Research TR-1610's belong together, like peanut butter and jelly. Which by the way, is what they use in the Theater Research TR-1610's to hold the drivers in place........peanut butter and jelly.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 108
I think some of us are going into "PROTECT" mode when we see TR/HTR/etc/etc... All this guy is buying is cabinets. With the possible exception of the x-overs he wants to rip the guts out of them and tinker with making his own... Perhaps our suggestions for alternatives can be along those lines? IE as Kano alluded too, there might be better alternatives for similarly priced, but better constructed cabinets?

Bronze Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 40
This may be a better option for a pair of cabinets. Don't know about pricing, but a phone call should help.

http://www.steinaudio.com/

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 833
What makes you think their cabinets are any good? Just by looking at them on the web?

Gonzaga
Unregistered guest
THANK YOU MICHEAL CAMERON!!

Leave it to a canadian for someone who actually understands what Im trying to do.

Stof,
Who knows, but as long as they're air tight I can reinforce them, which they better be.

I was talking to a guy about this idea, he said he had good success. He refferred me to www.madisound.com and I'll get my drivers from there, because they ship to Canada.

NMyTree,

Hmmm, thanks for this website.... I will call them and see how much it would cost me for them to make speakers similar to these. It would have to be under 300$cdn right?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 111
Looking at their EBay page from that website it would appear that would be a realistic price range. They were selling bookshelf cabinets for 35USD ea. Say 3x that for floorstanders = 200$ish for two, and delivery/duty. You should be paying 300 max.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 834
Gonzaga you have no proof their cabinets are any good. In fact how can you trust a company whose business model starts with the phrase "pssst buddy, come over here"?

If you are so set on getting good cabinets and putting in your own drivers, then look to buy some used, possibly non-working good speakers on ebay and doing what you want to do with them. That aughta cost even less.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us