Pioneer VSX-59TXi vs Denon AVR-4806

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 31
Anyone have any feedback on these two A/V receivers?

I am in the market for a receiver and I like these two.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 21
i have the denon 3806 and it sounds pretty good, but seems to lack headroom with music. w/ HT it is pretty sweet, but for music u may itch for more. as far as a head to head vs the two receivers aformentioned, i don't think you will notice that much of a difference in music or HT experience. ur choice ;;

later

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
The 3806 is not THX Ultra2 certified.

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 23
ya not thx certified but u not gonna no the difference. thx certification costs denon or w/e company more to get it certified which drives up the cost of the receiver. in my opinion thx certified is just a gimmick.. listen for yourself and pick which u like better. just don't be fooled by gadgets and other bells and whistles.. technology especially on receivers are changing so rapidly it would be a shame to buy a receiver based on bells and whistles.. just buy the receiver u like the sound of i.e. go to ur dealer and have them do an a/b test on the same speakers and go from there

later

Username: Tclive99

Post Number: 1
hmm well if the choice was really up to me id save my money and go Yamaha RX-Z9, it will eat both alive , as well as being THX Ultra2 Certified. The Z9 also beats both recevers for power output per channel, only down side is the $4500 price tag.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1668
nd the fact that the Yamaha is a powder puff in real world power, ie: it's power drops below 50% of rated under load.
Crap.IMHO

Post Number: 2
no it doest total output power of the Z9 would be 580watts x 7 + 130watts x 2 =4320watts across 9 channels @2 ohms with 0.015% THD but of course most would only run at 8 or 6 ohm therefore the total output would be

Dynamic Power/Ch (8/6/4/2 ohms) 210/260/340/580 W with 0.015% THD

stats taken from: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXZ9_spec.htm

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3718
Croozer,

For the price of the Denon 4806 you can get separates. Check out the offerings at outlawaudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3719
PS. And $4500 for an AVR of any kind is a friggin' joke. That's like one of those $75 hammers the Pentagon buys.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1672
Tyler, does this unit plug into a standard outlet with a 15Amp capcity?
Enough said.

Post Number: 4
of course it does it runs on standard 12 volt household power. if it didnt it would cost more like $10,000 as far as both if i really had to pick id probbally go with the Dennon

Post Number: 5
p.s well that comming down to the pioneer and the dennon anyway

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1683
I just wondered, because 4350 watts from a 1650 watt source is a perpetual motion conundrum

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
That Yamaha does not even have HDMI switching, and I don't remember asking about a Yamaha anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 701
Personally, I do not understand why anyone would consider buying one of these large behemoth receivers when for the same amount of money you can get some quality separates. Separates will have much better quality sound and are much easier to upgrade later, if necessary, when something new like HDMI rolls out. Check out www.outlawaudio.com and you will see what I mean.
Other good quality separates include NAD, Adcom, B&K, and Anthem. Just my opinion, FWIW.

Post Number: 6
i like power and durability as well as features and conectivity. but yes i admit not eveyone likes the same things. as for the Z9 well its only 33 lbs.

Post Number: 7
oops my mistake the Z9 is 66 lbs not 33 lbs.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 872
The PE 59TXi doesn't have HDMI and the Denon 4806 does. I have owned the PE 59 for about 2 years hooked up to a PE 59Avi universal dvd player via firewire. I output the dvd players HDMI directly to the HDTV, while I play all music (cd's, dvd-a's, sacd's, etc.) through the firewire to the receiver. The receiver has Pioneer's most advanced EQ and speaker calibration set-up. It works great.

Downstairs I have an Aragon Stage One AV preamp and an Aragon 2007 amp. It is excellent, but I find it no better than the Pioneer 59 and actually a bit more difficult to use. Plus it doesn't have firewire (i-link). I have had both the Aragon and the PE 59 hooked up to my downstairs system and none of my audio friends was able to discern an audible difference with the PE's speaker calibration and EQ off, which is indeed fine praise for the PE 59. With the MCAAC on, the difference was noticeable in the favor of the PE and this was after we had performed SPL metering and adjustment.

From my experience with both the Denon 4806 and Pioneer 59Txi, they have the two best speaker EQ and calibration systems, although the PE is easier to set-up and use.

There isn't much of a choice in preamps that have HDMI or speaker calibration systems. The Outlaw has DVI but no automatic calibration. You can get around much of that if you use a fairly inexpensive Radio Shack SPL meter--around $50. But the Audyssey system on the Denon does far more and will yield considerably more audio benefits, particularly if you don't have an ideal acoustic space that has room treatments. But you have to keep the microphone away from any reflective surfaces and it is time consuming. The PE system, while not quite as sophisticated as the Audyssey, is also far more advanced than just using an SPL meter and much easier to use than Audyssey.

With the PE and Denon you get very sophisticated preamps and powerful amp sections. For those that like ease of connections, less interconnects, and a one box solution, they are both excellent products. I would have to give the edge to Denon. Maybe when Pioneer releases a 59 replacement the equation will change.

If you buy either online you can find the PE 59 at below $2500 and the Denon 4806 below $2800. It is difficult to find a sophisticated preamp at those prices, nevermind the addition of powerful amp sections.

Of course, an Outlaw Audio combo would also make a very good answer, particularly if you want the flexibility of separates.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Thanx for the info Greg.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us