Velodyne VX-10

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
cud someone with a hands-on experience with the Velodyne VX-10 give a review on it?
I stay in an apartment with the home theater room around 200 square feet. wudnt the VX-10 give enough punch for quality HT experience?
is there any other Velodyne model I shud go for?

Bronze Member
Username: Raymer

Post Number: 18
Hi juggs.
I actually just got rid of my VX-10. I read alot of good reviews for it but my own personal experience was not very good. The sub is very boomy, lacks any sort of "punch" and it bottomed out fairly easy. It's not worth wasting the $180, that is my final thoughts on the VX-10. I would say unless you're ready to spend big you should stay away from Velodyne and look at internet only sub's like HSU, SVS, and Outlaw. For $300 the Outlaw 8'' subwoofer looks fantastic as a starter sub, and than you can just add another one later down the line. I think that would be a killer setup.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
hmmmm.....i was depending on all the good reviews i got for it! :-)
now i am confused!
the Best Buy also keeps a lot of Velodynes in their listening room, and it sounded great there (the higher end models)
i will check out the hsu and outlaw.
Thanx Max.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Yeap Juggy, you can't really rely on reviews for audio stuff, too many factors involved. And you never know if the reviewer is brand new to audio, has a bias towards or against a company, and so forth. I suggested the online only retailers because you eliminate the middle man and you get ALOT more bang for your buck. Let me know what you decide on.

Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 2
REVIEW OF VX-10: I recently purchased. I enjoy radio and CD listening on my Onkyo receiver and 2 10" JBL satellite speakers. I wasn't sure whether to purchase larger speakers with a better low end frequency response or to purchase a subwoofer to enhance the low end frequencies. I didn't want to spend more than $250 (I got from Tweeter Center for $219); afterall, I needed only a little more bass. I don't get good bass playback on some older CD's for some reason. Heart, Heart (1985) is an example. I find myself having the bass control knob almost all the way up. The best test I use is the gold CD of Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon. I have the VX-10 volume knob hovering around +2 (+10 max setting...I wonder about that) and the crossover frequency set for 90Hz. It sounds very darn good. The only thing I don't like is the frequency response. VX-10 goes no lower than 36Hz and I don't if I am really losing out here. After all, the human hear goes as low as 20Hz. Velodyne says that this product is designed for home theater and that it is the smallest/least expensive subwoofer they build. As an audiophile, I wonder if I am using the wrong subwoofer because I am not using for what it is intended. But, the Dark Side sounded great and for a low price. I am not sure what the distortion rate is (they won't tell you that, most subwoofer are around 20%), but I sensed good definition of the particular low frequency sounds in Dark Side.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I liked the VX-10 at first too, but over time its flaws outweighed the goods. I believe that if you're not going to really blast it, than the VX-10 is "ok". The sub was just never really able to punch me in the chest, it could shake a couch but it could never reach that "turn it down I feel sick" level of punch. Maybe I was just expecting too much from a $180 sub? Ah well, I won't make that mistake again.

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 6
Max, I noticed that when I reverified the phase check, I heard a thump sound. Not sure if happened before this or after, but the gain seems to have cut out a liitle. It doesn't sound great at volume setting of +2 anymore. I have to crank up control a little higher and now sounds boomier. I see that the JBL E150P is selling for $288 at Best Buy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
No!! The JBL is probably worse, trust me on this. Contrary to somewhat popular belief, JBL does not make that great of stuff. Their old, old stuff was good but not so much now. Try to stay away from stuff they sell at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Once in a blue moon they will get in some good stuff but not all that much. I would be willing to bet alot that the Outlaw 8'' sub that goes for $300 would crush that JBL in every friggin way possible. If you can only spend around $300 you can get that Outlaw 8'' or the HSU 8'' sub, or you can save up some more and get a bigger model. I admit I have not heard either model but I trust these guys around hear, and that's what they usually recommend at this price point. Good luck!

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 9
Thanks Max
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us