Question on Receivers & DVD Reccs for Orbs Classic 2 System

CuriousG
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've been researching the Orbs a bit lately and wanted to start out with the Classic Two system for a living room, before moving on to HT. My LR is approximately 19' x 14', which is open to my dining room (12' x 11'), and also is open to a hallway (~15'). My first concern is that this system would be able to fill this room, since it is not closed in, but some reviews on the Orbs in general mentioned that this should not be a problem. I figured I'd cut my teeth on this system and then look into the HT system for my family room. I'm just using this as purely an audio system for now, but will probably convert into a HT system for another room someday, so I was looking AV receivers and CD/DVD Changers (with DVD-A &/or SACD capabilities).

Can anyone recommend a good overall receiver, CD Changer (with DVD-A capability), and cables (looking at IXOS interconnects and speaker wire for now) for my Classic Two setup?
Also feel free to recommend other speakers (similar to the Orbs). I didn't want anything too large for my living room, which is why I'm leaning towards satellites.

I didn't want to go overboard, but want a solid tight bass and detailed audiophile quality for under $2,000 (excluding the Orbs). For receivers, I'm looking at:
- Denon (3805, 3806, 2807),
- Outlaw Audio 1070 Receiver or the 990/7075 or 7125 (per/pro/amp combo) or RR2150 stereo rec
- Pioneer and Yamaha

For CD/DVD changers (with DVD-A &/or SACD) I'm researching:
- Denon, Integra (DPC-8.5), and Yamaha (C950)

Ethan at Orb Audio recommended the new AV receiver coming out, 2807, mentioned at this year's CES (and any Denon receiver from the 1706 model upwards). He really likes the Denon products. He also recommended not to go overboard on the CD/DVD changer, since HD-DVD will be more common in the next year or two. I've been leaning towards the Outlaw components (especially separates). I was also looking at Denon's 5 disc changer (DVM-2815) in addition to the Integra unit. However, I haven't read too many good reviews on the DVM-2815. I want to get a simple setup for now, but want a solid AV receiver and a CD/DVD changer that plays DVD-A and SACD (if possible..but can live without SACD), without spending too much. I don't want to spend too much now on a CD/DVD changer, since HD-DVD is around the corner, but I want the changer and DVD-A capabilities and a good AV receiver......maybe planning for an upgrade to HT system in the next year or 2.

For now I will be using the system as a stereo system mainly, but will eventually set it up to use in a HT setup. Since I wanted the capability to play DVD-A and SACDs, I was looking at the Integra DPC-8.5. However, am I going to run into a problem, since this will primariliy be a stereo setup for now and won't be connected to a TV? I wasn't sure if I would be able to setup the system properly b/c on the initial setup, you need the system connected to a TV to establish the initial settings?

Thanks,
George
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us