Is there a Doctor in the house..... Small opinion required

Username: Lowvoltage

Troy, MI

Post Number: 1
Awright guys 'n gals:

Need some help to revitalize an old, old audiophile's 'play room', after a ten year absence from the Audiophile scene. I've got a 10' x 10' study/computer room that is pretty 'live' to say the least. I know, I know, the perfect cube!!!

My current listening area contains a set of Maggie 1's, that I absolutely love, even after all these years. So that will give you an idea of my audio preferences. I need something small. Thinking along the lines of the Paradigm Atoms or Titans. I'm open to suggestions from the peanut gallery. KEF's, Whafdale's, PSB's, etc. I don't plan on entertaining any speaker that I can't audition, i.e. a direct purchase from one of the smaller mfr's, even tho they may have a 30 day return policy. Would like to stay around $300 may add subwoofer later if necessary.

Is there an Audio Doctor in the house that can render an opinion?????

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7673

???????

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7677

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/products.htm

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 838
Mike,

I think Jan's question marks have to do with where you're going. Are we talking multi-channel with the Maggies as fronts? Are we talking 2 channel and you're getting rid of? What exactly are you trying to accomplish.

In a 10' x 10' cube, I sure wouldn't be afraid of running just the Maggies if you like them and adding a sub if you need it. What is your source? What's your receiver/amp? What's your music/HT split or your music preference if you're going to listen mostly or solely to music?

So, give us a little more on what you're thinking. BTW, Jan's initial advice is a great start.
Dave

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 745
in a cuboidal room I would also second staying with the maggies.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7692

I assume "Maggie 1's" does refer to Magnepans. In a 10'deep room, I would have a problem with that speaker in that space. You need to get back and away from the line source type sound the Magnepans create. Without placing your chair against the rear wall (not a highly recommended location), you don't have room to do this and get the panels out into the room to make the dipole operation work properly. These speakers would do well in a 20' deep room but not a 10' room.

Now, we still know nothing about the rest of the situation.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 800
It may be square but it's not a cube. Is it possible to arrange the system on the diagonal?

Username: Lowvoltage

Troy, MI

Post Number: 2
Guys:

I guess I should have been a little more specific on my goals. The Maggies are staying in my 21' x 14' Family room. The Maggie's are the 1b's, running with an early(before BestBuy/Circ.City) H/K PM-665, stereo integrated power amp. which is rated at 100 watts per channel and 60 amps Instant. Current and does well at the 2-4 ohm loads the maggies present. No I do not run a sub with them, and on only on a few RARE occasions felt the need to. Most of my listening is Classical, Accoustic music, i.e. Jazz, and recently Blues, and of course Opera. All stereo....no home theatre planned or wanted

NOW,the REAL question:
I am setting up a SMALL secondary system in my 10' x 10'den. Book shelves, books, computer table, desk, small love seat......almost chaos. Can't get the small newer wall hanging maggies in there if I wanted to. Power will be the smaller brother of the H/K PM-665... the 655, same bells and whistles just rated at 60 watts/channel.

I think that some smaller speakers on stands might be the best solution for that room. I'm presently thinking some Paradigm Atoms might fill the bill. However I'm completely open to suggestions. Tommorow is audition day at the local hi-end stores, We'll see what we come up with.

However, that forum member.Jan V. like some Siren song keeps whispering in my ear "Single Driver".."Seattle, Seattle", "Ling Single"

How did he know that my very first mono Hi-fi system was an ElectroVoice SP-12 in a corner horn with no horn mid or tweeter. And NO, my first am/fm tuner did not have "Cat Whisker" tuning.

Thanks in advance for your inputs

Mike

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7696

"And NO, my first am/fm tuner did not have "Cat Whisker" tuning."

Ahh, if it had, it probably wouldn't have been AM and FM; would it? Short horns, huh? OK.

Listen to the Lings. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/156699.html

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 801
"my very first mono Hi-fi system was an ElectroVoice SP-12"

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 802
The Ling Single is a great choice for a small room and close listenting positions. One of my favorites "tricks" during demos is to bring out the Singles with the grill covers on, play them for a few minutes, look at the audtioner (who usually nods with approval) then remove the grills and watch the surprised look on his/her face. As long as your not expecting high SPL levels the Lings will deliver full, satisfying sound with plenty of depth, imaging and soundstaging.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1221
If you do introduce a subwoofer in that cube, the only brand I would go for would be Velodyne, and one of the better ones. The reason for this is that Velodyne have digital room EQ adjustment which should dial out the inevitable room modes that you'll hit with that room.

Velodyne also sell the room EQ in a box which can drive external subs, but it's almost as much as one of their lower end subs...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us