Modify a tower speaker to be a center speaker?

Username: Vettenfun

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
My project is to modify a tower speaker to become a center speaker. My speaker is an Infinity Kappa 6.1 with 10" woofer, a midrage, and a tweeter. I want to add another midrange and another tweeter to the configuration so if the speaker is laying down on the floor, it should have "tweeter - midrage - woofer - midrange - tweeter" config. Do I have to replace the original crossover? If yes, what is a good crossover to match Infinity Kappa series (all my speaker are Infinity Kappa's). Also, how easy to cut two holes on a tower speaker? Thanks

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7662

Geez, WE, if you don't have a clear idea what you're doing, why are you going to chop up a speaker? Let me guess, you wanted to make your Mustang a rear engine car and asked what tools you'd need to buy and how to do the work.

Lest I be accused of being cruel to a new member, let me try this tact. After buying a new tweeter and midrange, buying the books to tell you how and then revising the crossover and purchasing the tools for making the cabinet modifications; why not just buy a real center speaker? What is your reasoning for converting the existing speaker to the proposed configuration? Why not just use the speaker as is if you want the sound of the Infinity?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 793
Take a look around the marketplace and see if there are any center channels with a TMWMT configuration. I'm not aware of any. This is because the frequency dispersion will be all wrong. Yes, it would require a new crossover design. Designing a proper 3-way crossover is a daunting task. If you've never designed a crossover before you certainly don't want to start there. I agree with Jan. If your mains are Infinity, get an Infinity CC.

Anonymous

basically, if you tried that you'd be better off using a bose 901 for a center channel.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1478
I'd simply use that speaker on its side as a center speaker, without modification. The timbre match should be great if you are using the same for your 2 front mains.

Adding more drivers to cover the same frequencies will just lead to wave interference between the two sources and might sound worse than now. Some speakers than appear to be laid-out like you suggest actually use different crossover frequencies for the two drivers (such as the Klipsch RC-7).

madmartigan
Unregistered guest
actually i have seen center channels that had a tweet w/ 2 6 1/2's & then it had a 15" on each side, they sell them at hoyt stereo in jacksonville, fl. i forget the speaker brand but they were insanely priced, the left & right towers were like 3ft wide 6ft tall & had 3 15's, 4 6 1/2's, 2 tweets, etc... wowza...

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 795
Higher frequency drivers near the center, lower frequency drivers toward the ends.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7679

Wowza, indeed!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us