Advice on choosing receiver

Username: Justsurfing5

Post Number: 1
I am planning to buy a receiver and would like to know which of the following sounds better with music - as I know with movies is all relative. Yamaha RVX2600 or Denon AVR2807?
Some people say that Yamaha sounds very good with music and some others say it's Denon. I'd like to hear opinion from users of same or similar products. Or just generally what most people think about sound quality when playing music with them.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 847
The Denon AVR2807 hasn't been released yet, but it did win the best new av receiver (audio equipment) award at the latest CES Show. It has a proper implementation of HDMI ( with switching and upconversion), which the more expensive 3806 lacks. It also has the Audyssey speaker EQ system which balances your speakers. The more expensive Yamaha 4600 dips to 40 watts per channel with 5 channels driven. I would bet the Denon does considerably better.

Having set up 2 peoples Yammie 4600's, 2 peoples Denon AVR 3806's, and 3 peoples Pioneer Elite 74TXVi's, I lean toward the PE 74's. The PE's automatic speaker balancing system is great and very easy to use, it does proper video switching and upconversion through the HDMI, has a built-in XM radio and IPOD connection, has i-link (firewire) for connecting universal dvd players with firewire (such as some from Denon, PE, and Yamaha)and has a solid amp section (140 watts at 8 ohms into 2 channels and over 60 watts/channel with 5 channels driven). The i-link is great for passing all digital audio signals--from cd, dvd, dvd-a, sacd, etc. It is my preference to use firewire (i-link) for all audio connections and HDMI for the video.

Since the PE 74 can be bought online for under $1,000, it is in a similar price range to the Denon AVR2807. The remote of the PE could be a lot better, as it isn't backlit and is also somewhat crowded. But 2 of the people I helped bought the Logitech Harmony 880 remote--and it is great and works intuitively with most components.

In closing, I would lean toward the PE or the new Denon.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your comments Gregory. But I still need to know which one is better regarding sound for music. Which one has better, richer, crisper sound than the other? I don't mean specific models but those 2 are from the brands I want to choose from. How is the treble response to the average listener as well as the bass sounds? I'd like to know that. Regarding video handling I know both can do the work properly; but I'd like to be able to choose the best one for playing music as most of them do almost the same with movies. It's just generally a comparison of the 2 brands or models, previous or the current ones.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6404
What speakers are you planning on using?

Post Number: 3
Don't know what speakers yet. Do they sound too different with different speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 79
The speakers are much more important to the final result than the receiver, IMHO.

Think about it and also bear in mind that the combination receiver-speakers is critical to the result.

Do you prefer warm or bright sound?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6405
You hit on something very important here, Felix. When you wrote..."some people say that it's Yamaha...and some people say that it's Denon"!

The question is which would sound better according to your ears. Which side of the camp will you lean when it comes to preferences?

Have you listened to any of these at all?

And the speakers are very important because there are those who find that some speakers sound very crisp when combined with certain Denons and Yamahas. The Axioms and Athenas come to mind. And then there's the mellow ones like Paradigm.

Post Number: 4
I like bright sounds but also good bass response. What is the price of the Axioms and Athenas and Paradigm? Any links to their websites or specs?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6426
http://www.athenaspeakers.com/

http://www.paradigm.com/

Post Number: 5
Well they all seem to be quite heavy on the budget. I'd like compact type because my room is not that large - about 20 x 15 - and also would like something around the 800 tag in price or less but good quality in sound. I live in the UK and checked and couldn't even find those brands around here.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 23
Just,

You're at the beginning of the process. There are hundreds of posts on this site about Denons that don't work and Yammies with problems. Why not go out and listen to a dozen different brands. Make a list of the ones that sound good to you and which ones don't. Write down the names of the speakers that sound good, and the names of those you don't like. This will give you a starting point.

Quality audio components last a LONG time. So, you need to LIKE what you buy. Don't trust anyone's ears but your own. Some other brands to consider are: (for recievers) Sherwood Newcastle, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, and for speakers consider RBH Sound, DCM, Infinity, Snell Acoustic, KEF.

Take it slow. A lot of people I know ran out and bought Bose speakers without comparing them to anything else. Later, they realized that they over-paid for what they got. Bose does a great job at marketing mediocre speakers. I have yet to be impressed by the sound of Bose. So, take your time. You'll end up with a system you'll love for years.

Post Number: 6
Thanks, guess will have to book demos at lots of stores around

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 849
The Denon AVR 2807 hasn't been released yet--hence all comments on it are either from dealers pre-released information or from the last CES Show presentation. That said, it looks like the amp section is better on the Denon avr 2807, hence the probability of it clipping at higher volumes is less. Also, the Denon has a more advanced speaker EQ and balancing system than the Yammie.

Post Number: 7
Does this DENON have TREBLE/BASS control? I have seen the pics but can't tell.

Post Number: 8
No one owns any 2807 yet?

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 860
I think the Denon AVR 2807 is to be released some time in April. It has treble and bass controls, as does the PE 74TXVi. Most receivers have these controls.

As far as smaller speakers you might try getting the excellent Onix XL-S at $199 a pair. It comes in white maple (real wood). They have a package deal of 5 XL-S speakers and their X-subwoofer (MSRP $199) for $698--a $300 discount. If you want more bass you can add the excellent Onix Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer at $399 (comes in Bird's Eye Maple). I'm sure Onix would give you a package deal on the set of XL-S speakers with the UFW-10 too.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1233
Justsurfing5

For around the £800 mark, you can look at

Sub/Sat systems:
Kef KHT2005II - £600 or so. http://www.bwspeakers.com

Full-size speaker systems:
B&W 600 series
Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO3 system - £700 or so. http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk
Acoustic Energy Aego Theatre System - £800 or so.

The Denon 2807 certainly looks like something worth waiting for. Try to get a demo from one of the many specailist dealers in the country. There are loads around.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us