Pioneer DV-563a vs Pioneer DV-588a

Username: Dukedog223

Post Number: 1
I've had a DV-563a for about a year now. I think it's a great player for the money. I couldn't really find any MAJOR flaws until a couple days ago. I bought The Flaming Lips' new DVD-A mix of "The Soft Bulletin." Guess what? No audio. After a minute of internet scouring, I discovered that the 563A has a well-documented firmware flaw. Even with the patch, some DVD-A discs may not play. Bogus.

Now my question - Does the newer Pioneer model, the 588a fix these problems? Any 558a owners out there?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 557
Mark,
I'm not sure about the answer to your question about the 588a but I believe Pioneer will upgrade the firmware in the 563a for three years. During this time I think the only thing you're responsible for are the shipping costs. The last firmare upgrade on the 563a that I'm aware of brought it to 1.906 - someone posted sometime back how to display your current firmware version, search around to find it. I have the 563a and since upgrading to 1.906 I haven't run across any disc it won't play, but I don't own "The Soft Bulletin"

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info, Sem.

I received an email today from Pioneer:

"The information on Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin" has been reported previously and forwarded to the Engineering Dept. for investigation and is currently awaiting their response."

Well, at least they're trying...

Username: Kewl

Post Number: 6
Add the new Donald Fagen album, Morph the Cat, to the list of unplayable DVD-Audio on the 563A: at least they package it with a regular CD-Audio version. In any case it's back to the store to exchange with the plain old CD-A.

It's too bad, because Donald Fagen previous effort, the 2003 Steely Dan album, Everything must go, plays fine on the 563A. What pisses me off with the firmware upgrade is to have to send in the player: I'm pretty sure the thing is upgradable with a CD or DVD with the firmware on it...

Too bad also that the 563A is a smoother player than the 588: I found the mechanics of the latter very loud.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 566
I am very sory to hear that, Kewl. I was planning on picking up the 'Morph The Cat' Special Edition disc. I already had my 563a in the shop for the 1.906 upgrade and am not sure I want to keep going through this same routine every 18 months. Perhaps it's time to look for another player.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 572
Mark and Kewl,

If you're still having a problem with "Morph.." and "..Lips" I believe both will be fixed with the upgrade to firmware version 1.906 There is an iso image file available out on the web that you can download, burn to cd and stick in the player and magically updates it to the firmware to 1.906

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the heads up, Sem. I'll be looking for that file.

Post Number: 4
Got the ISO, installed the patch to 1.906. "The Soft Bulletin" plays! Thanks a ton, guys.

Username: Kewl

Post Number: 7
http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=42966&postcount=272

This is not an April Fool...

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 446
Resolves problem with Bowie album "David Live" too. Patch is valid for European DV-565A, region code 2 is maintained.

Cheers
AL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us