New HT SUB!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 15
Fedex dropped of my SI mag 12 today. I am going to run this at 1400rms @ 4 ohms in a 1.5 cubic feet sealed enclosure. What types of subs do you all run in your home theaters?

Bronze Member
Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 31
Well, nothing that handles that much power but plenty for my application. I'm using a Mirage S12 (300W RMS/1200W Peak) and really enjoy it. It has surprised me on many occasions. Report back when you have yours hooked up and had a chance to listen to it. What amp are you using to drive it? Or is it powered?

Username: Raymer

Post Number: 8
Have you made absolutely sure that enclosure is the best for that sub? Checking the T/S parameters of your sub will tell you immediately if that box will work. Usually a 12'' does good in a 1.5-2.0cb ft sealed enclosure but all subs are different. You may even want to opt for a ported box if you are using the sub primarily for HT. Good luck on this and do report back!

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 20
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-745

That is the amp I am going with. I don't know much about amps so hopefully that is a nice one.

I will have it all hooked up next week and will deff. let you know what I think.

As for the enclosure. I talked with the owner of SI and used the sealed box size he reccommended. I figured sealed would give me better sq in a ht, not to mention the output will be crazy anyways.

Let me know if there are any advantages other than output in going ported in a HT. I am mostly a car guy and this is my first ht system.

Post Number: 10
I would recommend a plate amp such as this BASH.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-752

P.S If that is the recommended enclosure than I'd just stick with that over something ported.

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 21
Why would a 500 rms plate amp be better than the 1400rms amp i am looking out now?

Bronze Member

Baltimore

Post Number: 33
Showrides - I'd be interested to see what the Behringer could do but it's definitely not made for HT. A few things to point out: 1. It has to be rack mounted for proper cooling. 2. these types of amps usually have pretty loud fans moving the air through them. 3. It doesn't have a low-level RCA input which is a huge downfall. Did you look at the connection types? It only takes XLR or quarter inch connections which no HT receiver or power amp comes with. It's meant to be connected via a sound board. I just don't think this will work. The BASH amps are excellent amps. You'll see them listed on some of the better powered subs out there (in the $400-$1000 range).

Bronze Member

Baltimore

Post Number: 35
Oh, one more thing I noticed on the Behringer (not that all the other things mentioned wont sway you away); the crossover is only selectible for 30Hz or 50Hz. It's not variable and doesn't go high enough for most bookshelf or satelite speakers. You'd need full-size floor standing speakers to get a well blended sound.

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 22
I read these responses 25 minutes after I order it. I have a couple questions. 1. What is a sound board? 2. I am pretty sure I can connect it to my computer using this headphone jack to rca cable type converter. Are there any serious problems that I won't be able to fix using various converters. I know it is a pain to get them. But if it absolutely won't work I will have to figure something out. As for the 30-50hz thing, i don't think it will be a problem. I am building my own speakers and crossover for them. The speakers will be powered by a reciever. The only thing the behringer amp will do is power my 1 dvc 2 ohm mag 12. Let me know if I am going to be ok. Sorry for not being patient and ordering. I hope everything will still work out.

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 23
Good news. Order didn't go in yet. Anyways, what would be a good alternative to that amp? I will want that same kind of power. Is it possible to get that power with an amp that only costs around $280? I really liked this one because i got a lot of power for the money. Let me know if you find something better.

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Don't be misled by watts ratings. The top sub makers right now use Bash digital amps, they are very good amps. Ultimately it's your choice but that is what I recommend.

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 24
Thanks you...I will look into it. Does anyone know the best place to buy a bash amp?

Bronze Member

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 25
Forget that last question. I got it all figured out. But I do have a new question. I want that 500rms @ 4 ohm bash amp that bash makes. I couldn't find a more powerful one out there. My question is can I buy two of them and get them both to power my one sub? Or is there a place to get more powerful bash amps? I am not sure how I would get 2 inputs going from my computer into 2 seperate amps. Also, ff I need a reciever let me know. The best would be if bash made a 1000rms amp at like 1 or 4 ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us