Paradigm PDR-12 or Velodyne DSP-12B

Anonymous

Any one own any of these 2 subs, Both are around the same price. How do these 2 compare?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 666
well I will say this...

I am a die hard paradigm fan, and really have to try to fault their speakers when price is taken into consideration.

The only sub that they make that I really like is the servo-15

I am not at all a fan of the PDR series subwoofers. If you need a sub in that price range, you are MUCH better off looking at the HSU research subs of the same price range, which are build for sound quality.

www.hsuresearch.com

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 667
this is the first time I have admitted it... but I DO own a PDR series sub, and it is gathering dust, it really is that bad...

all boom

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 93
I own the Velo 12B, but have not heard the PDR, so cannot give you a comparison per-se, but an honest opinion of the Velo! Great value for the price. I do not make use of the "power slot" myself, I listened to everything, but the "Jazz" (reference) setting is 0 eq and the "truest" reproduction of the LFE and bass signal. I really like the sound, there is no harshness, whether it be music or movies. The booms sound like booms, and the bass is very distinguished, without boominess. It has made me consider setting my mains to small and letting it take all the low freq's. You will not experience buyers remorse on it, and speaking of the price, you will be hard pressed to find equal or better quality within 100 dollars either way.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 704
hmm....

for the price of a PDR 12 you can purchase a real sub from HSU research that will hose anything from paradigm up to the seismic series (also like these...forgot about them).

www.hsuresearch.com

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 44
Seismic series - that's such a cool name for a sub!

Username: 008

Post Number: 1
What about Athena AS-P4000. It is selling for only $150!

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 860
I think personally the athena subs are boomy.

Post Number: 2
boomy not necessary a bad thing but does it sound flat and boomy? I like a sub that works well for music and okay for movie. Is AS-P4000 good enough? Any other suggestion for that price range?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 861
it sounds like it has a ton of cabinet resonance

for that price you IMHO would be better off with one of the dayton subs from www.partsexpress.com

but, this is just my feeling. I am critical when it comes to bass, and have stopped using my sub because I feel it is too boomy.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 862
is there any way you can listen to the athena sub for yourself?

Post Number: 3
The Dayton sub seems a lot more expensive, over $300 bucks. I will get a small HSU for that price...

Post Number: 4
Oh, I see. Here is one for $125... Is it good?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-633

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 871
personally, I think the dayton will give you better performance than the athena.

I have not heard that partcular sub, but people that post here often state that the dayton subs have a great price / performance ratio. The one I heard I thought was fantastic for the price.

take that for what you want, because I admit that I have not heard that particular sub. The one that I heard was at a friends house and was the downward firing dayton 10 inch, which I do not see anymore on the website.

Taking that into consideration, the performance of that sub totally hosed my Paradigm PDR (which is garbage) and it was only around $100 I beleive when he bought it.

I can only tell you what I would do, and that would be to give it a shot if you are trying to keep a budget below $200.

Post Number: 5
What about Klipsch Reference RW-8 8 Inch Subwoofer for USD$260? Compare to HSU STF-1 or Outlaw in similar price range? Does b-stock of HSU and Outlaw worth a look?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 885
the klipsch reference RW-8 is great for music without really low bass content, and not so good for HT.

yes, B-stock from outlaw and HSU are worth a look. Incidently, Dr. HSU designed the outlaw subwoofers.

Post Number: 6
how will you rate the RW-8 compare to HSU and Outlaw for music?

Any diff between the Outlaw and HSU STF-1? They look very similar. And anything to watch for on b-stocks? Are they tested by the factory before resell as b-stocks?

Thanks

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 893
I would take the HSU over the klipsch RW-8, simply because I feel that the bass is just as tight, and the STF-1 will play lower without strain.

The outlaw is different than the HSU, as it has both downfiring ports as well as the woofer. On the HSU, just the woofer is downfiring.

Yes, the B-stocks are always tested before they are shipped out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us