Floor speakers w/cheap Yamaha receiver?

tuba78ac
Unregistered guest
I have a Yamaha HTR-5730 receiver and was wondering what floor speakers would be a good choice - Athena F2's I've read good things about, but aren't sure if my cheap receiver would be able to do them justice.

I'd like to have good sound with classical music as well as occasional jazz and home theater. Any advice other than the Athena's?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7622

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/201446.html

Not floorstanders but they can produce bass response equal to many floorstanders at higher costs.

Username: Raymer

Post Number: 4
No, a cheap receiver paired with those Athena's is just asking for trouble. Your receiver would likely keep shutting down, it would just be a pain.

tuba78ac
Unregistered guest
Would a pair of Energy C-3 Connoisseurs be a good option for what I have?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=ENERC3B&product_name=Con noisseur%20C-3%20Bookshelf%20Speakers%20-%20Black%20Ash%20Pair

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 92
That receiver will power the Athenas or Energy (neither are my first choce) just fine. It will not damage them in any way as long as you follow one rule that applies almost to all "combo" HT receivers (well any amp I suppose): don't turn the volume up to the point where you hear distortion. TBH I have used that very receiver with RTi 10s while the HK AVR 635 was in the shop. The Yammie never shut down on me, or went into protect, but thats what the HK did right out of the box. Well, not an issue now, that was sorted out, but the point is: there was no discernible distortion at volumes up to -15 (I never bothered to see how things sounded past that). The 5 channel option for analog signals (music and TV) actually sounds really damn good to my ears, the Dolby/DTS decoder reproduces 5.1 just how it was meant to sound. The only wish factor is no pre-outs. Thats one thing the HK really has up on it.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3639
tuba,

I'd get the C-3s in a heartbeat with that receiver. Smaller cabinet, smaller and fewer drivers = easier to drive WELL with a less robust receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I still advise against the Athena's. I think people may underestimate how power hungry these speakers really are. Honestly, I would not even get the Athena's again had I known this. Seriously these things require a solid 100-200 watts to even perform correctly. Ultimately it's your choice but take an owners word for it ok?

tuba78ac
Unregistered guest
An audio engineer friend of mine recommended today that I should ignore the Yamaha HTIB receiver altogether, instead opting for a good integrated 2 channel amplifier from Rotel or Sony coupled with Paradigm Monitor 5's. I'll have to check on prices for those...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3649
Your audio engineer friend is a wise man, except that I'd scratch Sony off the list.

The Outlaw RR2150 gets a lot of good press at $600 but they're out of stock right now.

Another one worth considering:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MARAPM7200&product_name= PM7200%20Integrated%20Amplifier%20-%20Black

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 356
Max, The Athenas are very efficient AND revealing. If you run them with a junk receiver, junk is what you'll hear.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6409
Max,
What were you using with the Athenas? That's the first I've heard of anyone saying that Athenas are power hungry. They are very efficient speakers and hardly power hungry.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I run them with an H/K 330. I dunno, I just found that unless I really crank my receiver they sound pretty much like crud {in stereo and surround}. It's as if they struggle until I really feed them juice. Maybe power hungry isn't the right word for this? Sorry if I gave bad/wrong advice guys, I'm sort of middle ground on all this stuff.

P.S By struggle I mean high freq's sound distorted until I crank the spkrs.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6419
Sounds like you are in search of a new receiver:-)
It is perfectly okay...now, enough of this baloney and say it!

"Hello, my name is Max, and I am an audioholic...please help me find another receiver to replace what I have..."

Admitting the situation (NO, IT IS NOT A PROBLEM) is the first step in buying a new audio gear:-)

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 844
"P.S By struggle I mean high freq's sound distorted until I crank the spkrs."

It sounds like more of a problem with the speakers to me. If I'm understanding correctly, the Athenas sound better at higher volumes. This may be remedied by bi-amping the speakers to better control the juice to the tweeters.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I'm not sure what you mean Kano? I've only heard of bi-amping on spkrs with 2 sets of posts. Athena's have only the one set of binding posts. I think I could just add a seperate power amp to my H/K for some more power, which may help. I should also mention that this dang house is wired with aluminum wiring which my electrician buddy says is the worst stuff ever and they can't even use it any more. Could this actually effect my receivers ability to power my spkrs?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 708
it very well might be able to if it can't get the power it needs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us