Surrond speaker conn.

Username: Muni

Post Number: 1
I have a pair of speakers from my Old Mini Audio system which I intend to use for my HT surround ( till I have more finance to upgrade to real good surround ).
Each of this surround speaker is a 3 way speaker. There is a woofer ( main driver ) , two mid ranges ( two smaller drivers ) and a tweeter.Now there r two pairs of wires coming out of this speaker cabinet. I assume one pair is for the main woofer , and the other pair is for the smaller drivers. The impedence of the main driver is quoted as 6 ohms and the surround driver is quoted at 8 ohms on the speaker cabinet.
The problem that I have is , on my receiver I just have two terminals to connect each of these surround speakers. If I connect the main and surround in parallel , the total impedence drops to 3.42 ohms which my receiver probably cannot support.

what other alternatives do I have to be able to connect this to my AV receiver for use as a surround.

Appreciate any help on this.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 612
my guess is that it was set up to be bi-amped to bypass the crossover to resist damaging the speakers when turned up loud.

many cheap minisystems by panasonic were designed this way.

someone correct me if Im wrong.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 775
My question is: How do you know the impedance is 3.42 ohms?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 776
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/200320.html

Username: Muni

Post Number: 2
I arrived at the number of 3.42 by using (6*8)/(6+8).Parallel connection.

Speaker impedence varies at different freq. of the audio signal , but I suppose it can go down to this value at certain points. So I expecting my amp to drive the speaker for such loads , causing overheating of the amp.

pl someone let me know if I can use this speaker as my surround for sometime.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us