Nad 162/272 versus Exposure 2010s

Bronze Member
Username: Ellison

Post Number: 33
I've auditioned this two amplifier. Which one would you get and why?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 617
If you have auditioned them both, I would suggest you go with the one that you liked better than anything we say. Audio is a very personal thing and all I will say is that both are very good however you must choose your own.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Hi Danman, Personally whats your preference, Nad272/162 or the exposure 2010s?

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 618
I am partial to NAD BUT only bcause I own them. I personally believe in using your own ears BUT to answer your question, I think NAD wins because they are very hard to beat for the money and you would have to pay a lot more to get better.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6104
Ellison,
Since you've heard these, I want to know what your findings were. Which did you think sounded better?

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 619
Good question!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
I would like to hear your opinion not my own. he he. :-) Anyway I find the exposure much better in handling music rhytym. And the bass has more dynamic and faster than NAD. The detail is more refine. The NAD is more powerful and laidback. I like the NAD presentation personally because its more creamier and laidback. Its not tube like sound but some sort of. And NAD midrange is palpable and pleasing to my ears. I've also auditioned Musical Fidelities X series. I still go for the NAD162/272. Its simple and practical for the price. And its also 3 dimensional in sound compared to TriVista and other "High End".

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 621
You have just answered your own question!

Our opinions are not really important when you have the chance to audition a particular piece of gear. Yes, it is nice to hear other's ideas but don't justify your choice on what other people tell you!

You seem to like the NAD sound better.........then that should be your choice as was mine for the same reason. The only other gear that had me drooling was YBA but at about 10 times the price! However, I do plan on getting this make in the future as that is what I really want for my tastes.

Like I said before, to ME, NAD is a great starter to hi-fi because they are extremely hard to beat unless you pay much more. Some people will try to give you reasons of reliability issues and other reasons not to buy but it all comes down to one of the most popular brands out there and I have owned almost all of their models (2 channel only) over 20 years with NO issues at all. But most of all, I used my ears to choose and not what others think.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Thanks Danman. Anyway just asking, What other makes of sound system do have in the past 20years besides NAD's? And what is YBA?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 935
Ellison,

I've been a NAD fan for a few years now. I recently heard Naim and Rega gear for the first time. Have you heard these?

I'm going to be upgrading this summer and will most likely go with a Naim Nait5i ($1400) and Rega Apollo ($1000). I haven't heard the Apollo yet, but I really liked the Planet (it's predecessor) and the Apollo is reported to be much better for the same amount of money. I honestly didn't think CD players had as much of an impact on a system until I heard a few different CDP's through this gear.

I have no idea what you're looking for sound wise, price wise, or application wise. I just firgued I'd throw in where I am now and where I want to go. The Naim and Rega gear sounds different than the NAD gear, so you may or may not like it.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 625
Ellison, I have basically owned only NAD (pretty well everything they have put out). I tried Cambridge Audio once and was not really happy with it. I have considered Naim and even Rega as Stu mentioned and he is right........they are different and very very good. I would say they are more high end than NAD but after trying both many times, I did not notice a big enough difference to justify the Naim and I needed more power than 50 watts even though it is a true "50" watts.

YBA is a French make that only has high end equipment. They also sell the Audio Refinement line up as well that is almost all YBA parts but at a lower scale. It is great stuff and so well built that it made me wonder how they could make evry detail so neat and tidy. It is very expensive but extremely musical. My dealer sells this stuff and everytime I go in and they are playing, I stay away from the listening room. I find the sound so smooth and precise. A basic Integrated amp from them would put you back at a starting price of about 5000$ Canadian and go up to about 30000$ for a power amp that weighs 200 pounds!! You can check out the website at:
http://www.yba.fr/uk/index.php

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Oh, that YBA is really expensive. I can't afford that. Gonna break my bank account b4 I can own that one.
Ive heard that Naim and Rega is good. I havnt audition that one hear in the Philippines. There isnt any hear. he he. Anyway I've heard Musical Fidelity amps, Exposure's & Rotel's. Personally theres not much difference in entertainability and pleasure wise. I'l stick to NAD for a couple of years. And if money allows I'L go for those YBA's after NAD. I think I will bypass Naim/Rega type coz the difference with Naim and my NAD 162/272 will not justify a huge upgrade. Hope Iam right.. :-) he he

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
By d way, the stereophle editor said that Naim owners must take note of Exposure 2010s. -That means Exposure 2010s is leveled to Naim.
As I heard the Expo2010s compare to Nad162\272. d 2010s has more musical rhytim. But since its only 75watts, that ain't up d task for my Video needs. So I bot d Nad. In fairnes I think d Expo2010s wil b a LITTLE more entertaning than Nad162\272 when it comes to music. But that said, Iam also entertained anyway by NAd. What I dont like aboot 2010s is it has no remote for on\off & forward for my taste. I guess we need to spend much more to upgrade like d YBA. I guess I need to save bit by bit for that.. he he

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Anyway, Is the Naim forward sound or laid back?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6218
Ellison,
So you are in the Philippines? Are you able to get hold of Alegria Audio back there? Where in the Philippines are you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Never heard yet of Algeria Audio . But iL look at it. Is that good audio? aniway iam in Manila ..

Gold Member

Post Number: 6221
I've heard noting but good things aboutit.

Silver Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 940
Naim is forward sounding. The Nait 5i in the US is $1400, or about $100 more than the C162/272 combo. Personally I think it's much better sounding. It's main attributes are pace, rythym, attack, and timing. It's also very transparent. Even though it's only 50 watts, it uses a different type of power supply than the norm (fully regulated?), which in turn delivers so much more than it suggests. It's capible of delivering 500 watts peak into 1 ohm, if that better explains it's power potential.

Rega is similar, yet not at the level as Naim. Rega is also cheaper.

I haven't heard the Alegria speakers, but hear nothing but good things about them. They are internet direct. The designer/owner is a regular contributer here at the Forum - Timn8er.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
The 162/272 is price at $900 here in Manila. Anyway I found the Exposure 2010s excel also in rythym, attack, timing and pace. Which I found the 162/272 lag in those department. :-)

You know what, Iam starting to conclude that this Hifi is a very expensive hobby... he he he

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 626
You bet it is BUT it is fun and you MUST always trust your ears!

Silver Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 948
Too many people take this way too seriously. Have fun with it, don't go too far into debt, and make sure it sounds good to you. If you follow that formula, everything will work out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us