Benifits of bannana plugs

Bronze Member
Username: Kinggimp82

Post Number: 30
what are the benifits of bannana plugs over bare wire? does it just make connecting the wire easier or do they make a better connection? any info would be helpfull.

andrew

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1387
Andrew, straight plugs(banana), are very good for #1, quick connects (like setup andbreakdown for the band).
#2, the design and depth of the plugs make a natural support for especially heavy cable(as well as dual solder connects for redundancy in the connection).
If your amp/receiver is not designed to support the weight, they will cause problems.

Other than that, they are as good as twisted wire posts.

Bronze Member
Username: Kinggimp82

Post Number: 31
one other thing. does thicker speaker wire increase sound quality? i use 12 gauge wire now. would 10 or 8 gauge wire be better?

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 85
Depending in your system ofcourse, but 12 AWG is probably the point of "diminishing returns" for sound quality per se.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 598
Im certain that you could hook your speakers to your amp with re-bar if you like...

but would it really be worth it?

I wonder what that would sound like. Not only that, you'd have to have a big s$$ binding post to support it. lol

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6128
re-bar...hmmm:-)

Stan Pigme
Unregistered guest
Gavin, rebar would not be as good as antique lamp cord wires terminated with cotton balls and piano wire to a antique tube radio.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 773
Banana plugs are nice for quick connect/disconnect but if they don't have strong gripping strength you may regret using them. Good ones are fine, stay away from the cheap ones.

Jan Pigne
Unregistered guest
Banana plugs are good for when I am lonely.

Silver Member
Username: Tdogroeder

Des Moines, IA

Post Number: 101
What is a good bannan plug? I'm using Acoustic Reasearch proseries II PR407's, are these good ones?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 774
http://www.madisound.com/wbt.html

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 81
I picked my nanner plugs up at radio shack

I use the solderless ones and have yet to see anything wrong with them. I personally find it much easier to set-up my system when i move every year. I even have my wires now color coded to make it that much easier.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6250
You gotta go what you gotta do:-)
It makes the reassembly much easier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us