Speaker stands

Username: Casatara7

Post Number: 1
can anyone tell me if hanging speakers to the wall with proper wall-stands makes a resonance problem?
it would realy save some space in my bedroom.

Or should i just get some proper floor speakers stands?

my speakers are bookshelf front ported (Kef Q60)

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 761
Placing a speaker close to a wall virtually increases the baffle size. A basic "rule of thumb" is particular low frequencies will increase by 3db. This may or may not be bad, depends on the speaker, but most speakers do better away from solid surfaces. None of us can say for sure as each room/speaker combination is different and the only way to know is to experiment with different speaker placements. Here's an interesting experiment that shows what happens when speakers are placed close to walls or corners. Sit at your listening position and have someone talking to you walk toward the wall while speaking. Listen how the sound of their voice changes.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7554

I tried that experiment once. I sat as my guest worker moved toward the Southern border of my room. Suddenly and without notice, they were speaking Spanish!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 762
LOL!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 763
So, what happened when they went north, eh?

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 926
Tim -
On a more serious note, shouldn't they talk to you while facing you, meaning that they would be walking backwards into a corner?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 764
They should walk all over the place, forward, backward, whatever. One of the tests that small room acoustic engineers perform is to have someone walk around the room talking. If they sound the same wherever they are the design is a success. This exercise may not answer Carlos' question but it's interesting, IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 811
What happens if you can't walk around and talk at the same time. Some of us are quite limited in our abilities, you know!!!

On a "cuddos" note, though. Talked with Tim on Wednesday about getting a pair of Emmas to try out, possibly as fronts in my HT and backups in my 2 channel system, although they would do frontline duty now while I "retire" the Heresys.

Geez, I get an email from FedEx today and they'll be on my doorstop today. WOW, is that service or what. THANKS TIM, Dave.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 765
Us Washingtonians have to stick together.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 814
Consider us stuck then.

You are way too good, Tim and I'll give the Emmas a good listen over the weekend and provide my thoughts, although I don't think anyone can approach Jan's erudite scribing!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us