Marantz receiver/bose speakers

Username: Cromozomullipsa

Post Number: 1
hey mates, maybe someone can help me. I have a Marantz SV 5200/DV 4200 system with 6.1 bose speakers - 2 fronts 601, 2 centers VCS 10, 2 surrounds 161 and a JBL LX series SW.
The problem is that i cannot get what i want from this system - the music is not deep nor cristal clear,
I have tried different placements but I only have a 20 sq meters living room.
I have tried thicker cables
When I bought the SW I said thats it - I upgraded from 90W/channel to 150W/channel in front speakers, it was an improvement but not the one I hoped for.
The main problem I have is the distance of the front speakers from the wall behind them as the bose are direct/reflecting speakers. But no way I can have them standing 60 - 90 cm away from the wall. I just cannot afford something like that.

Thank you in advance for any advice

Cromo

milagro
Unregistered guest
Nothing wrong with your Marantz or sub. Your cables sure have zilch to do with it.

Just eBay the Bose junk, buy some real speakers and you'll be way happier.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1234
Dragos, the Bose MUST GO!
What sub are you running, do you need 5 channels, or would a nice stereo setup work in DTS for movies?

Your problem is very easily fixed with speakers, stereo would be economical and high quality, depending on your intentions/needs.

Do you have a budget?
Are you ok to try internet/30 days?

Post Number: 2
thank you nuck
is this antibose a wave or you have something hard to stand on when you just desmiss bose.
when I bought them I thought I found gold and now you just told me to throw it away.
I was planning to buy a pair of 901 and have the 601 as surround.
please enlighten me about this bose attitude you have, after all I am the one with the bad investment.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1236
My apologies, Dragos, as I would never want to diss someone on their choice of investment.

It seems that the product you chose to invite into your home and your personal space did not work as wel as you had hoped. Happens to me all the time.

I might question again your intention as to 5 or 2 channel, as a guide for suggestions.

So far as anti-Bose, I am.
Bose make poor products at large prices.
The holes in Bose delivery speaker systems overlook the difficult frequencies and accomodate the happier, easier parts.
I do not like their sound in home.

The Bose in my corvette, however, was not bad.

Post Number: 3
i would go on 5 ch as i use the system mainly for movies and when listening to music i go on 6 stereo option on the receiver

but what do you think about my new acquisition?

dragos

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1239
For the new speakers?
Since theatre is so important, I might suggest Ascend products. They have good reports here, and are budget friendly, although have been caled less than asthetically pleasing.
I have not heard them, BTW.

I have heard the Psb b25 last week, and liked them, although I was looking at them as fronts for a stereo setup.

Fot the kicker stereo setup, I was looking to hear more from tbomb about the Emma's.

Maybe consider the Ascends, but budget has not been discussed, I can spend all the money you have!

Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 905
Dragos -

Here's a great write up on Bose -

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I don't really have much more to add, because I think it speaks for itself. You shouldn't feel too bad; everyone has bought something they thought was the best thing since sliced bread, got it home and was let down. Their's always E-Bay...

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1244
Dragos, now you habve some real input...Stu knows .
If it ain't sliced bread enough, make toast.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1245
But do not despair, we have many many recommendations! Enough to make your head spin.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 367
heres my 2 cents-

1. Try and set up a 5.1 system and see if you get a better result. There are many reasons why I suggest this but that first recommendation isnt gonna change. It would be nice if this fixes you up.

2. I am wondering if you live in the US or not. The reason that I ask is it raises or eliminates the possibility of various free in home trials for you of other speakers.

3. Lastly, and you arent going to,like this- your sub could be muddying the works. JBL has several series of subs and that LX line is one of them and infact I believe there is mroe than one size in the LX lineup as well. Sub placement is tricky enough on its won but the JBL offereings I have,listened to are too undefined for my tastes--that is a personal opinion only.

Asta

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 907
"If it ain't sliced bread enough, make toast."
I like that one. I'll have to remember it.

"everyone has bought something they thought was the best thing since sliced bread, got it home and was let down."
Translated - Every woman I dated before I met my wife...

Post Number: 4
stu and nuck, thank you very much for the bose details and rest assured that i could find many customers for my cutting edge surround stereo bose system as i will advertise it.

now what about my new system which i have ordered already onkyo tx sr 703/dv 403 +wharfedale diamond 9.6 +center -

i`m thinking of selling also the marantz sr 5200+dv 4200

and after that, with the money raised maybe the wharfedale will become surround speakers

and mark i am from romania where what you suggersted is an opportunity available for customers 20 years from now.

and is jbl lx 2000

thank you also

Post Number: 5
and regarding the other thread - don`t know - by mr g. r. cummm the thing with me is that the more of it is in me and not in the room, not only the better the syste sounds but i feel the urge to turn it louder and louder

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 546
can you clue me in on what this was...

because now Im curious...lol

Post Number: 6
glenmorangie - madeira wood finish - of which i`m sipping rightnow watching roger waters in the flesh dvd

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 762
Unless there are features you need in the Onkyo that you don't have in the Marantz unit, I would not trade in a Marantz for an Onkyo. I doubt you will see any improvement in sound quality. In fact you will probably go backwards even with the Wharfdales.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1292
I agree with Stof, a move to Onkyo would be a step backwards.
As would a move towards Wharfdales right now.
The Diamond9.6's I heard last week were rather disappointing.The mid's, which were much faster on the 8.2's, and .3's sounded betterIMHO.

The Paradigm studio 40's are a much better choice, but I am spending your money now.

Post Number: 9
the money are already spent and today i have received my new tools
first of all - the onkyo + the wharfe dales are sounding much better than the old system
I have tried them in parallel on the same cd`s and the result was very clear - i have heard sounds on the onkyo/wharfedale which on the marantz/bose are not happening. and i repeat myself - with the same disc
it is true tha i did`nt tried the wharfedales on marants nor the bose on onkyo - but i will
for now i am very happy with this new acquisition cause i`m getting exactly the claqrity i was so muck lacking with the bose
i have to try all kinds of music but after 10 hours trying it looks very good
one thing to notice here (onkyo tx sr 703 european version has 130W/channel and the amrican version only 100W/ch
it is a lot of power more 130w versus 90w the marantz - and u can feel it
after i`m selling the bose/marantz package i will try to buy on your advice the rest of the gear - maybe new fronts ant send the wharfedales on the back

by the way - have you ever listened triangle speakers?
if yes what was your impression

bye dragos

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 588
someone here said that the older Triangle speakers would be a "high end bar room" type of speaker, and then someone else said that they were very smooth, almost seductive.

So, Im not sure if you can get a vaild opinion of them in here.

Post Number: 10
i have listened Triangle ANTAL and CELIUS on Esprit range and i found them breathtaking, just wanted to hear a professional opinion and compare it to mine so i can adjust my scale
But then there is a catch to these show rooms where u can listen to speakers which there sound great and then when you go home and put them on your amp it`s totally diferent. because there is not the same room, amp, reader, cd, etc
i even begun to think that they have special discs

dragos

milagro
Unregistered guest
"i have heard sounds on the onkyo/wharfedale which on the marantz/bose are not happening. and i repeat myself - with the same disc"

ha ha ha Dragos, you are hearing just how pathetic the Bose speakers are.

Now do a comparison with the Wharfedales and the Marantz, against the Wharfedales and the Onkyo.

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1340
Congrats on your aquisition, Dragos.
All said and done, it doesnt matter to anyone else even if you figgured an organ grind box was Audio Nirvana.
Your lineup looks good, your choice if imbibement is very good.
Let the music play!
Btw, Dragos, whats the music selection, beyond'in the flesh'?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
nuck

imbibement? - sorry not familiar
second - the choice of music: all kinds mainly rock-pop, classic guitar, electronic, latino-sud american music, classical
I grew up with U2,Nirvana, Billy Idol and Depeche Mode in my teens, after that came JM Jarre, Vangelis, Gary Moore,Led Zep, Metallica, GnR etc

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 829
Wow at first I was sure this thread was another lure into a Bose Vs. the World flame thread, but I'm sure happy to hear Dragos heeded some good advice and stepped up about 20 notches.

Now if he could just find a Panasonic and some Green Mountain Europas, everybody would be happy!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5931
imbibement - your choice of drinks:-)

Username: Seattle_audio

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 8
I completely agree with Nuck (if that's your real name, I'm joking) That Bose speakers must Go.
Personally I believe a transmission line design like the Meadowlark Kestrel 2 under $2,000 or Nucore Electromagnetics Cathedral Sound LR42 ($2,500 factory direct) or LR45 ($3,000) might meet your needs.

Anonymous

How much?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us