Subwoofer wiring

Username: Peenut

Post Number: 1
just bought kicker solo x 12" with dual 2 ohm voice coils, and kicker 2500.1 amp. is there any way to trick the amp into reading a two ohm load, or is this amp 1 ohm stable?

Unregistered guest
ive got three aluma pro 8" subs and a hollywood 1000 watt amplifier and the subs are single voice coil im trying to figuer out the best way to wire subs to get best sound

Bronze Member
Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 23
Ed, is the this a mono amp or stereo? If it's stereo, just hook up each channel to a voice coil. If it's a mono amp, get another identical sub and wire the two coils of each sub in parallel and then wire the subs together in serial.

Bronze Member
Username: N8d1

Baltimore

Post Number: 24
If your amp can handle less than a 2 ohm load I would wire them all in parallel. If not, you could always get a fouth one and pair them up in parallel. If you want to settle with a 6ohm load just wire two in parallel and the third in series.

Username: Bobmik

Post Number: 5
I am looking for some technical guidance in regard to subwoofer wiring. The final piece in my home theater puzzle is the wire and I am concerned that the current cable length has created enough capacitance to affect the sound out of the powered Velodyne 3500 (8 inch) subwoofer. It hums like there is impending doom around the corner.
Right now I have a 6 foot mono cable (RCA jack) connected to a wall plate from the receiver. I then have RG6 coaxial cable traveling through my attic and down my wall for a distance of about 30 feet. From there I have another wall plate for the final connection to the speaker with another 6 foot mono cable with Y connection at the end.

I did a test tonight with a smaller coaxial run (6 feet) and the hum was gone.

The question I have is, are there better cables for traveling this length, or should I avoid that distance altogether? If that length is possible, do I have to have any type of filters (or other electrical components) along the line to eliminate the current hum I am experiencing?

This final hurdle is a disappointment as every other challenge so far has succeeded on the first attempt. Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us