Receivers: Narrowing it down to the following: Thoughts?

Username: Sektor

Post Number: 1
About to pull the trigger on a A/V receiver for my new HT in my house. I just moved in and had the option of buying a surround sound package. The price was awesome, speakers are top notch. They are:

(4)Klipsch 6.5" Ceiling mounted speakers
(1)RC-10 Center Channel
(1)RC-8 Sub

The final piece to this puzzle is the receiver. I've searched the internet, read reviews, articles etc. etc., only to make my head hurt and confuse me further. Right when I think I know which one to buy, something doesn't add up right.

Goals: Awesome surround sound; crisp, clean, precise, cintilating, blown away experience when watching a movie. Great sound is a must.

So i've narrowed it down to the following receivers and hope to get some suggestions, recommendations, thoughts etc.

1. Pioneer VSX-1015TX. Heard great things about it. Seems very popular.

2. Harman Kardon AVR240/635. Every time a read a 'review' from a user, it talks about the clarity of the sound and how precise it is.

3. Panasonic SA-XR70s, SA-XR50, SA-XR55.

I put the panasonic in there, because it is a digital amplifier and the people swear by them and how incredible the quality is. But, there is a cautionary flag here that I keep reading about.

Few things: I read that if you have a large TV (mine will be 42"-50"), that there might be some 'lipsync' delay on the Pioneer. I forget the number, but it was miliseconds. Could that be a issue?

I appreciate the feedback and really look forward to responses.

Best..

sektor

Post Number: 2
I should also mention, I don't need overwhelming, make your ears bleed, booming noise. Just enough.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5481
Pioneer or HK gets my vote. Either one should work well with your expectaitons. Know not enough about the Panasonic. I'm sure it's good enough for some people, but I have heard chatter that it is ears bleeding bright.

Post Number: 3
Ok..narrowed it down to three:

-Pioneer
-HK AVR240
-HK AVR340

Is the 340 a upgrade from the 335?

I don't think I can go wrong with anyone of them. I know the watts rating on the HK's is lower, but that it sounds a lot more powerful.

Anyone with HK's experience have input?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5504
I like the power supplies of the HK 340.
And no, the 340 is not an upgrade of the 335. It is an upgrade of the 240. Don't worry about watts.

Get it and enjoy.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 805
The Pioneer has a superior speaker balancing system and it's power supply should be more than adequate for the sensitive Klipsch speakers. This Pioneer model has a lot of technology from the more expensive Elite line. HK is noted for excellent power supplies, but you should have no problem with driving your speakers with almost any receiver. The only major thing these receivers are missing (which the Panny has) is HDMI. But if you get an HDMI dvd player you can connect it directly to your HDTV.

Also, Sherwood Newcatle manufactures an HDMI link add-on called the HSB-600 at $299. Provides remote (or RS-232) switching for 2 HDMI source units and converts any component video input into an HDCP-compliant HDMI output. So you could add this to a receiver at a later date to get full HDMI switching and component to HDMI transfers.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all the information guys. I greatly appreciate it.

I might opt to go for the HK 340 or the Pioneer. I figure I can't go wrong with either. The perfecitionist in me is running full steam right now and im making sure I get the best option for me.

Gman, you menion that the Pioneer has superior speaker balancing system. Does the HK have the same?

What about setup of the two receivers? Does one work better than the other? Is one easier?

What about if I decide to upgrade to a bigger center channel in the future?

All items im looking at.

Oh ya, HDMI, not a must, more of a luxury.

APpreciate it.

Post Number: 7
Can someone tell me if HK receivers support banana clips?

Thx.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5680
Yes it supports banana clips.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 823
The Pioneer is easy to set up and has a better speaker balancing system than the HK's. The HK's are also good. Toss-up--but I lean toward the Pioneer, which has a good portion of technology dripped down from their Elite receivers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5723
I agree, I think that Pioneer is a lot easier to set-up than HK. But you still can't go wrong with either one.

Upgrading to a bigger center channel is irrelevant to both receivers. You can go bigger anytime you like.

Post Number: 8
what about seperates? I like this idea, althought hurts in the wallet.

Was looking at the Outlaw setup:

970 Preamp/processor
7075 amp

Since my setup is 80% movies, im looking for a setup that will just freaking rock. I think this will give it to me.

ALso, is THX, THX2 something to consider? I know the pioneer has it, but don't think others do.

Thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6007
The Outlaw setup is great.

THX is nothing more than a certification and a lot of good receivers can achieve the parameters set by THX. No big deal.

Anonymous

Depends on the certification. There are several levels of THX certification.

Anonymous

Jason, don't give up on the Panasonic until you hear it for yourself. Do a search on other forums and you will find that some people have chosen it over separates. It seems to depend a lot on your speakers. I have not heard it, but if I were looking for a receiver I would definitely try it out.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2778
The Outlaw gear is very good and would make for an excellent HT. The Panasonic stinks but if your deaf you can save alot of money by buying one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6092
Outlaws can meet and surpass THX requirements, they just don't bother getting certified, for it will add to the price.

Anonymous

Jason, do your homework then let your own ears make the final decision. Not the snobs like Art.

Anonymous

Nor should you listen to anonymous @$$holes like me because I am too much of a pu$$y and have no credibility to post anything really constructive or helpful.

Anonymous

why I agree 100%, Art!

Username: Icmenu

Jackson, Tn USA

Post Number: 2
Without a doubt I would go with the H/K. Any one of them will work. You will not be able to find the sound quality, staging, and imaging that any H/K product bring to the table. I am currently runnin a AVR-7300. This thing is a monster, and it is only rated at 110watts x 7 channels. Do NOT let the lower RMS power ratings of H/K models detour you from them. H/K uses the exact FTC requirements from amplification ratings. In other words, 50 H/K watts is like 120 watts RMS stated by most manufacturers. Hope I was some help. And enjoy your new home theater.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 658
I will tell you for a fact... do NOT put the panny with klipsch unless you don't like your hearing. I got a klipsch reference dealer in upstate NY to do that for sh!ts and giggles on a slow day and needless to say... it wasnt pretty.

The klipsch horns were brought forward, and the woofers had NO control to them at all. It sounded like a bad PA speaker... thats the only thing I can think of.

Post Number: 9
Just a update:

I went with a Marantz 5600 receiver.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Post Number: 10
Crud..can't edit.

Anyway, changed the receiver to the marantz.

Traded in/traded up the Klipsch speakers for their new CDT line (CDT-5650-C), 5 of them; two fronts, 3 back, which gives me 6.1

Upgraded the center channel to a RC-52.

Upgraded the sub to a SVS IDS 12" woofer.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1412
Enjoy, Jason!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us