Which receiver?

Username: Snmhanson

Post Number: 1
I am looking for a new 7.1 receiver mainly for home theatre to replace a POS Harman Kardon DRP1001 that I got suckered into. I don't want super high end but I do need upconversion to component and three component inputs and I want plenty of digital audio inputs. I would like to try to stay around $400 or less street price but will pay a little more if it gets me quite a bit more feature-wise. Right now my short list is Pioneer VSX-1015TX, Onkyo TX-SR603X or a Denon AVR-686 or maybe 786. My speakers are Legend Encore in-walls and although not great speakers will probably compliment a receiver in this price-range well. Which receiver will work best for my needs or are there any other you would recommend? Thanks for any advice.

Matt

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5362
My vote goes to the Pioneer 1015.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 684
These are all good for the money (I never could understand why Onkyo gets no respect around here) but I would go for the Pioneer too. It is really an Elite without the nameplate. It has a slightly warmer sound reputation with most speakers, due in part to its MOSFET outputs.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 685
BTW Matt, what was wrong with that "POS" HK?

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
my vote goes for the Pioneer 1015 since if have one!!

Sarandon
Unregistered guest
my vote goes to the Pioneer 1015 as well. I should know, I have one!!

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies. Sound like it is unanimously the Pioneer so far. That's what I was leaning towards anyway so it makes it easy.

John, I'll give you a quick synapsis of my HK ordeal. I got a close out DPR1001 about three years ago. I didn't use it for about six months as we were building a house. When I first used it everything worked ok for a month or two then I had a total front panel failure. I sent it in and they spent several weeks trouble shooting it before deciding to just replace it. When I got the replacement I heard one of the rear speakers popping alot and the component video coming out of the unit produced a jumpy and picture that flickered alot. Rather than try to deal with getting it warrantied I decided to just not use the rear channels and to run my component straight to the tv. Other than that everything has been fine with it I suppose. However, I get better sound (IMO) out of our eight year old $400 Sony receiver than I do out of the HK. On the bright side now I have an excuse to get a new receiver so I guess it all works out in the end. I know HK has a respectable reputation but I don't think I would personally buy one again. At least not a DPR model. I sent them an e-mail earlier today politely letting them know that I was not satisfied with my DPR experience but I don't expect any action to be taken as it is well out of warranty.

Matt

Anonymous

full digital Panasonic sa-xr55 easily crushes all of the receivers mentioned above.

Post Number: 3
Well, the Panasonic looks like a nice receiver but I think I am going to stay away from all digital receivers for now. I am pretty much sold on the Pioneer as it seems to have a nice list of features and is good quality for the price. My only question is will it pass HD signals without significantly degrading them? I am a relative rookie when it comes to home audio but I have heard that some receivers won't really do HDTV well. Anyone who owns one want to comment? Thanks.

Matt

John Wagner
Unregistered guest
you really need to put this in your system...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?accstwek&1140143702

Gold Member

Post Number: 5478
Matt,
Just connect directly to the TV when it comes to HD signals. There really is no reason to go through the receiver.

And please welcome John Wagner, the new village idiot.

He is here, for all intents and purposes, to throw in a few insane and wild tweaks to mislead you into believing that it will improve your sound.

Ken737
Unregistered guest
I would vote for the Pioneer 1015, as I just recently went through the same dilema of researching receivers. I had started a prior post (https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/190008.html)

I purchased the Pioneer and am very happy with it..

Sorry.... I suppose I should register as I have been posting enough

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the additional input. Berny, I would prefer to connect directly to the TV but there are a number of issues that won't allow this. Mainly though I need to keep things simple so that my wife, kids, mother-in-law (and father-in-law), babysitters, etc... can select whatever source they want without having to change a bunch of settings (the KISS theory). Another reason is that my media rack with all of my source equipment is located away from my television and I only have one component run going from it to the TV. Finally, I have three component sources and only two inputs on the TV and I would prefer to not have to change connections everytime I want to change source. I know I will get the best picture going straight to the TV but that is not possible right now. I do want to be able to get an HD signal to the TV (even if comprimised) through the receiver though but I am not sure if the Pioneer will handle that. Thanks.

Matt

Gold Member

Post Number: 5522
Oy, I know what you mean. Everyone else needs to access this things so we gotta keep it simple:-)

Try this route:

http://www.ce.org/connections_application/

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 700
Matt,
Pioneer claims the 1015's component input bandwidth is 5Hz - 100Mhz. This is more than adequate to handle all vidio signals, HD and SD. Given decent cabling, I would not worry about detectable signal loss or degradation with the video going through the receiver. I've hooked my system up (not a 1015) both ways and I can't tell the difference.

Post Number: 5
Great, thanks for the info guys.

Matt

Username: Sektor

Post Number: 5
Ok, not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but can I ask a very n00b question in regards to specifications:

John_S mentioned that the 1015 input bandwidth is 5Hz-100Mhz. What exactly does that mean?

Also, what about the following:

THD at Rated RMS Power: 0.07%

For example, on the HK 340, it has this listed:

55 x 7 @ 8 ohms (20Hz -- 20kHz, <0.07% THD)

Can't make heads or tails of that.
Can someone break it down a bit for me?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 705
John_S mentioned that the 1015 input bandwidth is 5Hz-100Mhz. What exactly does that mean?

Jason, we were talking about this receiver's ability to handle video component signals and pass them through to a TV without distortion. This "bandwidth" figure has nothing else to do with the overall performance of this receiver. The figures you quote have to do with the receiver's amplifier ability to deliver "X" amount of power at a wide frequency range with "Y" amount of THD (Total Harmonic Distortion).

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 17
Take a look at the JVC RX-DP20VBK

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026945&pathId=5&page=1

Bronze Member
Username: Croozer

Rockford, IL United States

Post Number: 18
Sorry, I did not see your price range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5580
Nice, but a little out of the posted choices' budget for a receiver don't you think?

I am not too impressed with JVC's receiver line up. They make great video and karaoke equipment, but their audio line up is still something I am not willing to put money on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5582
aargh posted that too late.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us