In ceiling speakers

Username: Edunham

Post Number: 4
I have a family room with a vaulted ceiling and want to install in ceiling speakers to get the clutter out of my room with the stands and wires. Does anyone know if the ones with tweeters that are adjustable will provide enough directionality such that I will be able to hear them? I have a receiver with adjustable level outputs as well as distance calibration so I think I can get a good enough sound field that way. Anyone have suggestions for quality in ceiling speakers that have the ability for the tweeter direction to be adjusted?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 741
you are better off looking at the ones that provide wide dispersion rather than the ones that have adjustible tweeters.

paradigms are great at this.

www.paradigm.com

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7687

You are "better off" looking at a speaker that can be mounted on a shelf and still provide decent sound quality. Unless music is merely background noise to your ears, this arrangement will beat any ceiling mounted speaker for sound quality and will be far less trouble than mounting in a vaulted ceiling.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 744
um...

I was answering his question jan...

nowhere did it make a mention of stantmounts or speakers that could be mounted on a shelf.

so yes... he is better off getting in ceiling speakers with a wide dispersion tweeter in the context of his original question.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7691

Yes, I know what you were answering and he may prefer your answer to mine. Though, wide dispersion could simply mean a lot of reflections bouncing around a strangely shaped space. In my opinion, you're better off being on axis to any tweeter than relying on dispersion to carry the day.

Despite all that, if we are discussing what will be "better", I'll stick with my answer. A small pair of speakers mounted "unobtrusively" on a shelf at about ear level for a listening position will provide better sound quality than any ceiling mounted speaker I've ever heard. But, as I said, if the music is merely background and not intended for "serious" listening, then the real quality of sound is irrelevant and anything above mediocre will pass muster. However, anyone who has tried to mount speakers in a vaulted ceiling knows it's not anyone's favorite job. Depending on construction techniques, mounting speakers in a vaulted ceiling, to pre-existing construction, can be all but impossible.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 135
Ill chime in on this one. Bay audio is a choice for ceiling speakers as well, not the best sound because of placement obviously(no speaker will be), I have heard them in customers houses, and they will suffice. My guess is the OP isnt interested in hi fi audio from the ceiling, if he was, or is an audiophile at all he knew better than to ask anyway.
Jan, dont want to start a war here, you are very respected and have helped me find info I needed in the past,and provide valuable info to all here, but lately I have noticed a different Jan so to speak, not sure if your just getting tired of the same o same o, but the tones have definately been on the harsh side. Seemed to have started with the infamous JW, or "lucky"
as he is known now. It is very obvious you are very knowledgeable concerning the audio industry, and are very well read on the physics of sound etc. I just dont understand some of your responses as of late? I admittedly am no where near knowing as much today as you may have forgotten in time, I look forward to the info you provide, but just dont get the wholier than though attitude as of late? I feel that many people will need your input, or knowledge at some time, but will be hesitant to inquire if they read some of the threads you have responded to as of late. There are some very stupid questions asked here over and over, I very rarely respond because of that, and also because I would probably answer similar to what you do on occasion, and I can see where you would be frustrated with that. but seeing you have over 7000 posts people will naturally listen to your advice, or at least contemplate it. I guess what Im getting at is this, it would be a shame for someone else with valueable input for this forum to be discouraged if they are put down right from the start. No offense intended, just an observation. Dave

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7694

Dave - I've read again my responses to this thread. Sorry, I don't see where I was "putting anyone down". My opinion of the forum is that anyone can have a different opinion than mine and no one is obligated to accept my answers, no matter how many posts I have made. My information is either good or not; the reader gets to decide. Actually, I know that often my advice will be ignored because it is not what someone wants to hear. They want to buy something, anything, and I may not think that is the best route to improving their system. But, rest assured, I don't post anything that I don't feel is a legitimate comment unless it is obviously meant to be farcical, https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/204306.html.

I judge what I want to respond to and ignore the truly less than intelligent threads. Many people do not; and they jump in with recommendations for equipment they prefer no matter what the situation amounts to. As a matter of fact, most of the time, no one on the forum bothers to ask any questions that would allow us to really understand the situation and therefore help the person asking the question; instead they just plunge ahead with a product recommendation. That bothers me to no end. After a few decades in sales, it is imperative for me to know what someone wants before I can make any suggestions that have value. In this thread, https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/204743.html, it would appear what the o.p. was asking for is not immediately evident and required more information, not just a product recommendation for something Ziggy would probably like to own himself. In this thread, I do think better sound can be had with something other than a ceiling mounted speaker and with far less trouble doing the installation.

The forum is populated by many new comers to audio or, all too often, people who learned car audio and now think that transfers to home audio. I try to think back forty years and remember what it was like to be trying to learn audio; and it seems to me I remember someone who gave me the reason for why something just "was" meant more to me than the person who merely pointed me to a product. The person who picqued my interest to know more was most beneficial to me. If you notice many of my answers suggest the reader find some information for themself and not just take anyone's word for the answer. Mine nor someone else's. Not everyone agrees with or prefers that approach, so there are bound to be disagreements with how I answer some posts. Please trust me that you will know when someone has truly raised my ire.

Such is the case with JW. The advice he gives is dangerous and distressingly one-note. He is entitled to his opinion. He is not entitled to put someone in the hospital, or worse.

Hope that clarifies my position.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 758
that is why I reccomend any and all products that I am familiar with. I DO (and I admit this) stick with the paradigm brand quite a bit in the budget realm for reccomendations because people can do a lot worse, and I have quite a bit of experience with it. I let others that have more experience with other brands chime in with other suggestions.

If someone has questions on other brands (namely ML, Magnepan, Thiel, Mirage, Klipsch, and Innersound) or if they come up in a post, I will chime in and post my $.02 and give my advice.

I also try not to give advice on products that I am not familiar with, and if I do so, I state it.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 759
and I didn't see that as an attack on myself... if that is where this was going.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 137
Jan, well said, and clarified, which by the way, you didnt have to do! I agree wholeheartedly with your statement about recommendations of gear without knowing setup, and other variables that would make choices limited, or in abundance depending on situation. I too am annoyed at constant posts of certain brands for EVERY application, it seems to me that alot of the posting is done just for the sake of posting, with no thought given to application of the original OP, but rather, what the person responding would want. Honestly a lot of the posts I see are more of people wanting others to get what they have to justify their own purchase, strength in numbers so to speak. Sometimes its funny just to watch how threads go away from practical solutions to "I have this and it will work for you too" or "nothing in this price range can compete" Ive said enough, and still feel like its not enough! I look forward to your responses to valid problems and or dilemmas, and how to deal with them, as it expands my own knowledge base for future reference, so thanks for that. And since we listen quite differently, as does everyone, the only advice I will set aside is what speaker to buy! Unless of course their the best.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1516
Didn't look that way to me Gavin, your contributions are always valuable.

Ditto, Davidpa.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1517
Erik, avoid ceiling speaker at any sacrifice, unless you want the room to sound like WalMart.

Small pedestal standers can be very unobtrusive.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 762
Nuck, won't in WALL speakers sound decent though?

I have heard ML in walls that blew me right away with their realism.

note: the walls were built around the purpose of having speakers in them, so will the walls have to be re-inforced if you put a reference quality speaker (ML has a dual 8 inch woofer model.... one I heard...cant remember the name) in it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us