Are my old speakers up to par?

Username: Brianscott

La Vergne, TN United States

Post Number: 1
I'm not sure whether to invest in a complete 5.1 package or piece it together myself.

I currently have:
Front L&R: Technics SB-S407 3-way (150W; 8 ohm)
Rear L&R: Boston Acoutics HD5 2-way (50?W; 8 ohm)

Are these speakers acceptable to add into a new 5.1 system? I'm not terribly critical about perfect sound, but I'm just not sure if the newer "tiny" speaker packages compare to my current "larger" speakers (not that mine are top of the line by any stretch). Any thoughts?

If I go the "piece-it-together" route, what center channel, sub and receiver brand would you recommend? In the end can I save money by adding to what I already have? (a quick look at Best Buy, and I see that a sub alone isn't cheap.

Thanks for reading my first post!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7422

Take along a few of your favorite CD's and go listen to what's available at an independent audio dealer (not Best Buy or CC) and judge for yourself. For not much money you can improve your sound quality by a large measure. But, only if you think what you hear is worth the price asked.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 355
A subwoofer can add a lot to a home theater. A whole lot. And I also think that a center channel is vital, as usually most dialog in a movie goes through the center channel. I am not a fan of the Phantom Center, even with extremely high quality 2 channel speakers. In fact I actually audition a sub and center alone as that combination is pretty key to evaluating a good audio HT experience.

That being said, let us know what type of budget is reasonable and we can probably cook something up. If its a money for speakers versus the mortgage thing though- then forget it!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1169
Shop at BB or CC, Brian, their stuff will be fine.
Give a long listen, It'll be fine.

Anonymous

Marc,
I'd like to spend no more than $500 on a receiver and 5.1 system. Is it best to buy these in a set for compatibility? Or a receiver separate for choice or cost?

TN United States

Post Number: 2
Marc,
I'd like to spend no more than $500 on a receiver and 5.1 system. Is it best to buy these in a set for compatibility? Or a receiver separate for choice or cost?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 356
Well can go either way- you can go to a big box retailer and check out their home theater in a box complete systems that are 500 or under.

Or, assuming you get a receiver that can drive the old stuff; you can piece together some stuff; A HSU STF-1 sub for 299. A paradigm entry level center for 99$- ( I actually have one of these in a closet somewhere), and a hundred bucks for a used receiver on ebay, or as close as possible at Frys Elctronics or overstock.com. or similar

Given the age of your stuff- you may just want to see if a home theater in a box all in one will be good enough.

TN United States

Post Number: 3
Thanks Marc,
Yes, more research along with your advice is telling me to get a complete package. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 734
Brian I wouldn't necessarily ditch your speakers just because they are old. I would start with a good receiver and a good sub and see how they sound with the speakers before making a jump to a whole new system.

When I built my HT I was able to reclaim my Boston Accoustics speakers as my back speakers and I am very happy.

TN United States

Post Number: 4
Thanks Stof,
I guess the only thing is that I'd have to buy the sub to test it (I'll be getting a standalone receiver anyway, so that would not be an issue). But, you have a point, and are causing me to rethink a little.

My larger concern is with the Technics; they were only about $90 each, 14 years ago. I just don't know if something newer would absolutely blow them away, so much so that it would be no question to replace them.

Hmm..

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 747
I'm sure there are a lot of speakers that would blow these away. You can alway try and see how much happier you are and if not send/take them back.

TN United States

Post Number: 5
Thanks to all. Looking forward to great sound.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 510
Brian,

If it were me and I had no more to spend than $500 on a reciever and seperates, I would buy the best speakers possible with my $500, and worry about the reciever later, or go the used route.

All of the speakers in the paradigm performance series are amazing performers for their respective prices, especially the atoms, for a paltry $220 a pair! I highly reccomend that you check out the following speakers in the paradigm performance line:

esprit tower ($430)
focus bookshelf ($300 something)
titan ($330..not my favorite..but you might like it)
atom ($220)

mini monitor ($300 something)
Monitor 3 ($400 something)
Monitor 5 ($500 something)

The mini monitor and monitor 3 are a series up from the other speakers that I have reccomended, and are a noticible improvement in sound. Most of us in here would be able to hear the difference. But, listen for yourself. You also may find that you can not get by without a sub, ESPECIALLY with the monitor 5.

The monitor 3 goes appriciably deeper in the bass, but many people notice a discontinuity in the mid to treble crossover region due to the 8 inch woofer size. The monitor 5 has dual 6.5 inch drivers, and has nice bass and midrange reproduction. the treble is of the same quality all throughout the monitor range due to the use of the same tweeter.

I would hold off on the center for now and just audition the mains. Wait to see what you prefer. If you prefer a speaker that lets you afford a center within your budget, go for it! likewise for the surrounds and reciever.

but DO NOT skimp on the mains just to be able to have a center now. You will regret it down the road.

Purchase them piece by piece if it is necessary.

You may also find that with the way that your new speakers image (many people find that when they first upgrade, the difference is breathtaking), that you really don't need a center.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 511
sorry...

here is the link to the Pardigm performance series

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/P erformanceSpecs.htm

this is the link to the monitor series:

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/MonSeries/Mon itorSpecs.htm

TN United States

Post Number: 6
Gavin,
Great! I'll look into the Paradigms. And also consider the mains as critical to the entire sound. Thx for the good advice!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us