Frequency Range Help.

Username: Hamburglar

Post Number: 1
I get confused on the frequency ranges on speakers.

I am looking at 2 speakers right now. the Canton LE 190 and the Axiom M80ti.

Here is what their two sites have listed. Am I correct that the Canton has a larger range?

thanks for any help.

Canton LE 190
# Frequency response: 20...30.000 Hz
# Crossover response: 300 / 3.200 Hz

Axiom M80ti
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 34 - 22 kHz
Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz): 25 - 22kHz

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 719

Yes that would be accurate if the actual results are.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 738
...and...
the range given should be variations of +/-3db or less. That doesn't apply to all manufacturers which is where the confusion begins. Even then, a stated range doesn't tell you where the peaks and dips are which is one of the things that gives speakers their "personality". So, while the Canton looks to have a wider frequency response range it doesn't mean you will like the sound better than the Axiom or vice versa.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 95
Flip a coin to see if you believe stated freq. response or any other spec. I've had $9 clock radios with a 2 inch speaker claim they go 20-20,000. Also, on the high end of those measurements, I wouldn't obsess over the difference between 22k and 30k. Unless you are a superhero, and a superhero under the age of 35, you can't hear that high.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 722
"I've had $9 clock radios with a 2 inch speaker claim they go 20-20,000."

That's rich (LOL). You made my day

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 739
As a designer I have to purchase drivers based on what a manufacturer tells me. Once I get the driver I test it myself. Here's an example of one that was supposed to be accurate from 100Hz to 15kHz. The color band is the +/-3db zone. The black line is the raw FR, the red line is an attempt to use a filter to tame the response.
Upload
And no, I don't use this driver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us