Best speakers for Arcam Alpha 9 set up

Username: Frosticles

Near NottinghamEngland

Post Number: 1
Hello all, this is my first post so be nice!
I am looking into replacing my Mission 753Freedom/751 combo and not sure what to go for. Am looking at a couple of options mainly some more floorstanders or a combo of stand mounts/sub. Had a listen to three speaker set ups today, and was impressed with them all. First one was with Naim n-SAT with a Focal.JMlab SW700S Sub. Neither of which I can find reviews of. Very impressed with that. Second was Focal.JMlab 714s floorstanders again with the Sub. Very impressed again. Third was Focal.JMlab 826s without sub. Again, very impressive. My system is Arcam Alpha9 Pre/Power amps and Arcam Alpha 8SE CD player. Kind of looking towards the Stand/Sub combo as I have 2 young children with eager fingers!!!! but might need to mount them on the wall. Is there any detrimental effect sound wise in doing this over stands???
Anyone have any other speakers that they would recommend for my system??? Thanks in advance, Kev.

Bronze Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 49
i believe mounting most speakers onto the wall will have a very detrimental effect on the sound. bass will become boomy and imaging will suffer. i think this will even partly be the case with speakers offering foam bungs to plug up their bass port, which is meant for near-wall, not on-wall, placement.

i have a suggestion though. one is to get dedicated on-wall speakers. dont know if JMlab have these.

the other suggestion is something i was thinking about doing when i have kids, is to skrew an eye-bolt into the top of the standmount speaker and attach a piece of heavy guage fishing line from this bolt to the ceiling. if you have the speakers affixed to the stands with a bit of bluetack both te speaker and stands should be impossible to topple.

re speaker types, i'm running some dynaudios with my arcam gear and am very happy with the sound. dynaudio do also make an on-wall speaker, the 42w, which i believe does a very good job as a front speaker.

also, you may want to concider a downward firing sub(eg rel st series) as being a bit more child-proof.

cheers

b

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 741
Here's an interesting experiment related to speakers in corners.
Sit in your usual position and have a friend begin talking to you, then have them walk toward a wall or corner and listen to what happens to their voice.

Username: Frosticles

Near NottinghamEngland

Post Number: 2
Hello there, Thank you for your replies. Have removed my 753's so have my 751's on the wall. Know what you are saying about Bass boom as this is quite noticable. Still have some experimenting to do I think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us