I need a new receiver, cant decide and on a budget so to speak!

Username: Gentlejax

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 1
First off I am a novice but I do already have a good receiver- HK AVR-320. Problem is I listen to rock music more than I watch movies with it. Mostly because well I need to buy some more speakers as I only have 2 tower speakers. I never got the rest of the "theatre speakers".

Here is my problem. I like to crank up the volume when I listen to music, thing is I would like to have more than 2 speakers running in Stereo to listen to it so that I dont have to crank the reciever to near max to get the volume.

I want to put in some more speakers so I can fill the house instead of pounding the towers I use now.

I am looking for a receiver with at least 4 channels that put out full bandwidth thru all of them at the same time.

I love the sound of the HK but I dont know much and it was my 1st deck so I have nothing to compare with.

I was really looking at the Denons and maybe the Onkyo's. I am trying to find a decent bargain this time and not spend as much on it as I did for the dang HK at CC.

I cant make up my mind on what is really going to work. I am going to get the rest of my home theatre speakers also but for the immediate use I want to have more power for MUSIC.

I have seen older Denons for under $300 and I have seen Onkyo 600 series at Ubid for $250.

I dont know wher to start because just based on reviews there are a lot of choices on paper but I need help based on what I want to do with it.

I hope you guys can tell me what to look for or what to avoid.

I have looked at these and similiar units

Denon AVR 1700, 1800, 3000, 95, 3200
Onkyo TX-SR602 ???

I have found several on Ebay for less than $200 used for the Denons.

I need opinions badly for less than $300-$400

It also depends on how fast I can sell my hardly used AVR-320. I say hardly used cause the wife hates loud stereo in the house. doesnt mind in the car...

basically I want as much power for music for bargain price

sorry for rambling on and on

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 2
checking out the Marantz on Accesseries4less also.

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 3
I think i may be getting the marantz SR 6300

any reason not to? sounds like jsut what i need

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 423
Mike: I'm not sure I understand the nature of your problem. The AVR320 is a surround receiver that has several music surround modes such as 5 channel stereo and logic 7 music. If you want to hear music coming through more speakers simply connect additional speakers! Unless you go to a receiver or amplifier that is phenomonially more powerful,more than twice the wattage,which will equate to only a 3dB gain in volume or less, which at best will only be a slight difference,you are wasting money buying another receiver. Check the sensitivity of your speakers if it is really low, less than about 87dB you may need to scrap your towers and go with more sensitive speakers about 91 dB or higher which will play louder(slightly). I have owned several HK AVRs over the years and used them with many diffrent types of speakers- low impedence,high and low sensitivity and it doesn't take much volume to get things quite loud provided your room acoustics are minimally acceptable.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7376

Mike - You don't have a clue; do you? There is little point in going to a different receiver. As Eric pointed out, you'll have to get a lot more power, about 5 to 10 times the power of the HK you now own to satisfy your desire to pound out the sound. That's a lot of power and you'll be unlikely to find that amount of clean wattage in a receiver new or used. Even if you should find a reciver with a few hundred watts, you'll probably blow up whatever speakers you now own with that much wattage. Forget the different receiver and stop turning up the volume to almost full tilt. Volume controls aren't made to be used like that and you'll damage a speaker if you continue.

If you want to pound, you'll do best buying speakers that pound in the first place. You gave us no clue what speakers you own or what sensitivity they have. Don't tell us about how many watts the speakers are. Speakers don't have watts and besides you want to know how loud they play with only one watt not some cooked up number the marketing people created.

Get your owner's manual for the speakers you now own and tell us the model number and the amount of dB's the speaker produces with one watt of power. You'll find the latter information on the specifications of the speaker. After that we might be able to help you get something that pounds. Until then, any answer we would give you would be wasted time.

Consider buying a subwoofer to take some of the load off your receiver's amplifier and you'll be able to turn up the sub to get even more pounding noise that should eventually attract the cops.

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
Jan,maybe he should go with some Crowns and CV's. AHHHHH! I can almost hear the distortion now!

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 4
OK, lets say forget what I said earlier.

sorry to offend anyone

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 5
I dont have a problem with the power of the HK but I absolutely hate the setup of the speakers.

I must have something hooked up wrong because I cant get the on screen menu to come up now. I have tried many times to get the other speakers to work with no success.

Even if I only buy another receiver to get easier setup then it will be a huge blessing.

again- any reason not to get the Marantz over the HK I have?

I said from the get go I am a novice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
Mike: You didn't offend anyone we were just kidding around with you. Our advice however, is no joke. We need to know what kind of speakers you have and what their sensitivity and impedence is. If it makes you feel better then go ahead and buy the Marantz. This route will gain very little difference in volume though. You have to have a video cable,composite or S video connected from the "monitor out" output on the receiver to your tv to get the onscreen display.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7380

Right, no offense taken nor intended. If you are having difficulty with the HK menus, why would the Marantz be more easily navigated? If you can answer that question, then purchse the Marantz. Most menus are laid out very similar to one another, particularly in the basic set up of the system. It is a function of a logical progression through the first to the final step. And, while it may appear overwhelming while you are reading the owner's maunal (you are reading the owner's manual; aren't you?), if you take it locically one step at a time, you should get the results you desire or, at least, those which the system is capable of producing.

Go back with the manual in hand and check your conenctions and then go through the set up menu one step at a time. If you don't have the input for the OSD turned on at your monitor, you aren't going to get anything despite the receiver feeding the signal.

You still haven't told us the specifications we asked about and it sounds like you're getting bogged down in the system. Do you have a reputable independent audio dealer (no big box stores need apply) in your area that might offer some personal advice?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1177
I have to say I was so disappointed with the aggressive responses in this thread I didn't want to reply to it.

I think that new posters to the board should be treated with a bit more respect. It takes guts to post the first time and it's unlikely they'll have their request truly thought through, as in this case.

It would be nice if newbies did a little research first, but that's expecting too much and in my view if one can't be civil about one's response then one shouldn't respond at all.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7385

Sorry, Frank, but this forum often seems to take everything a bit too seriously. The information provided in this thread by Eric and myself, I think you'll agree, is correct. That anyone was treating MZ with anything more than an, "Oh, my gosh, where do I start", approach should have been dispelled by now. You, yourself should know there are some instances where you can only shake your head and wonder where to begin to explain. This was one of them and apologies have been made for any misinterpretation of intent.

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

I don't quite understand why it should take guts to post on a forum where no one will see you at any time in the relative future (assuming someone believes in an after life where you will straighten someone's wings and thank them for the information that forever changed your existence upon this mortal coil or be forever be subjected to a constant harangue of "You really don't know ..." for all eternity). It's rather like walking into a room and saying, "Hello, my name is ... ". Do it and, if you don't like the response, there are plenty of other rooms to visit. Did my father just raise me wrong? It costs you nothing to say hello.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 207
Jan,

Speaking of apologies, there is one awaiting you on 'Old Dogs' from a newly tanned old dog.

Frank,

I agree, sometimes we could go a bit easier on newbies. It seems on many people technology is lost. I bought my parents DVD player for Xmas since their cdp died and that we have a fair collection of DVD movies they can catch up on. I have given over 2 hours of lessons, redid instructions with graphics in an simple step by step manner from start to finish, even signifying appropriate operating buttons on the remote. It still has not been used.

I give up.

Mike,

I don't believe buying the Marantz will bring any benefits to you (unless it is a matter of prefering its sound). You must try to get the OSD figured out and from there you can make speaker and distance settings as well as assign inputs and so forth. As Jan and Eric stated, you won't get much help without explaining what speakers you are using and what their sensitivity rating is. Good Luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1143
I certainly agree that new visitors should be treated as welcome guests.
A friendly and helpful greeting can start a helpful and entertaining thread.

I saw no ill will or impoliteness in this one.
MZ posted with his issues, and drew helpful responses with inly one sidebar, not directed at the OP.

No harm, no foul.
All in all, an average read, actually.

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 6
Ok guys let me add a little info quickly on my lunch break.

I HAD the on screen menus working at one time and I went thru the whole thing and either I didnt have something set right or it just wasnt what I was thinking.

I had borrowed a pair of cheap speakers at that time to check out the surround sound aspect.

I dont know what I did wrong but I quit messing with it and left it set up with my DCM tower speakers. Sorry they may be budget speakers I asssume but I paid next to nothing for them at CC one day when they were clearing out some stuff.

they play plenty loud.

I made incorrect statements in the original post. The HK is plenty loud enough but it is complicated for me to set up . that is my biggest obstacle.

I currently have a dvd player and dvr recorder all hooked up to it and somewhere I lost my ability to do the onscreen set up.

NOW- I just plain have the itch to buy a different receiver after the 2 yrs with this one. If I sell it then I will do so.

I just need to figure out what is comparable to the one I have in terms of performance so I can do more research.

one last thing-

I read over these forums and after couple hours had to ask outright because i wasnt finding the answers i wanted.

again, I am going to use it 75% for music and the other for movies.

So, I want it to sound as good as possible playing music cause thats what matters more to me than the movies .

hope this helps a little,

I jsut have urge to try something new

still looking at the Marantz 6300

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 209
You should be happy with the Marantz but it is speakers (and source) that will provide the most benefits for listening to music. Good Luck.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 546

quote:

I bought my parents DVD player for Xmas since their cdp died and that we have a fair collection of DVD movies they can catch up on. I have given over 2 hours of lessons, redid instructions with graphics in an simple step by step manner from start to finish, even signifying appropriate operating buttons on the remote. It still has not been used.

OMG My Rantz, I think we may be related. I've gone through the same fruitless scenarios with my mom and her VCR, with her DVD player, with her digital cable hookup, you name it.

Your long lost brother - Sem

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1154
If we had a 'family' reunion for each of us trying to show parents how to operate appliances... it would be like a family reunion in mississippi...all the same name!
Apologies in advance to mississippians.

The digital toaster is trying my mom's bagel patience!
Sheesh!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7389

MZ - In your case I would suggest you look first at NAD. If the HK menus are confusing you, you aren't likely to find anything less complicated in the Best Buy/Circuit City type products. If anything, the newer receivers have grown increasingly complicated over the last few years.

NAD is as simple as it gets with set up menus. The sound is very good, though different from the HK sound. If you like to "pound" every now and then, the NAD has a "soft clipping" feature that might save a tweeter. Additionally, NAD is sold in independent audio shops where the salespeople will normally be able to show you the set up menu before you make a purchase.

Go into the NAD dealer in your area on a slow weekday afternoon (not a weekend) and ask for a demonstration. If you like the sound and the shop has given you good service, spend your money there. You will probably need some extra help at some point and buying from a local dealer will allow them to assist you when necessary. This is definitely a case of don't try to save a few bucks ordering off the internet if you have a local dealer.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 210
"Your long lost brother - Sem"

My brother from another mother!

:-)

Anonymous

Devon, get the table!

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 50
Mike this may sound sarcastic or even pedantic, but you have not answered the question about the speakers yet! Just mentioning "DCM Towers" does not cut it. What is the sensitivity rating? Or maybe which model DCM?

I understand the "itch", but it is quite possible that you may discover why many people love HKs if you pair them with decent speakers(and I don't mean that DCM is crap as I don't know them)

I once helped a friend set up his HK and actually found the OSD menus very easy to use. Maybe go through the manual again just to clarify and perhaps solve the issues you have.

Sorry buddy, but you give us a lot of words, but not really anything to work with :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1178
Mike,

I agree with Jan that, if music is your priority, then you're more likely to get the results you want from one of the NAD receivers. They're far more musically engaging than most receivers.

Further up the field, have a look at the Arcam receivers. More musical and more capable than the equivalent NADs they really are the best choice below silly money for the music lover who wants surround sound in one box.

Jan, I didn't disagree with what was said, just the tone which I found rather distasteful. Then again I can be a real prissy I guess...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 821
Reading through this thread I am still unable to grasp the nature of your problem.

I have the HK AVR430 - which is two models newer than yours so the set-up may have changed.

On my model the OSD is only useful for labelling inputs and setting more static options such as turn on volume and video switching.

It should not be necessary to use the OSD to add more speakers.

The remote has a speaker button which you can use to set each individual speaker to large, small, or none. In your set-up the fronts should be set to large, and any additional speakers to small.

From there, you must select a sound processing mode on the receiver, there should be a button labeled stereo to get to the 5 CH STEREO mode, but I find the Logic 7 Mu mode is best if you must listen to music through surround.

I can see the initial confusion to your first post, you gave the impression the HK could only do sound through 2 speakers.

To get to the OSD you must have either an S-Video (pins) or composite (Yellow) cable connected to the Monitor Out on the back of the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Djwages

Post Number: 26
I've got a QSC 1500a Amp that I'll sell you. It's rated at about 1500W into 4ohms and weighs about 80lbs so it'll make a good coffee table to. I'll even throw in some marshmallows for roasting over the voice coils. ;-)

Seriously though, Onkyo's are not really very good for 2 channel. I've got an 801 and it's great for surround but it's a featherweight in 2-channel. Stick with the Marantz 1st, NAD 2nd but in the price range you're looking for that might make for a more difficult decision. Most of the manufacturers really become unpredictable as the cost drops below $500 because they have to compete with the Sonys of the world.

I ended up building a vintage Marantz 2-channel system and am really blown away by it. My 52W 1970's Marantz smokes my 110W Oink and my 130W Denon in 2-Channel and is so much more musical. The vintage units do have more distortion but with vintage current amplification it's not as much an issue since you seldom go over 50% volumn (I've never had my 2252B past 12oclock). Vintage can be fun and beautiful units can be found on Ebay for really good prices but research it. You'll value a quality vintage unit and it makes for good conversation. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 7
hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I have decided to pull all the cables and such from the 320 and start scratch re-connecting them all to proper locations and see I cant find out what is wrong.

then I will set up the receiver and go from there.

I am sure it is all user error on my part.

I may not change anything but I may also be able to get a good deal on new speakers or a new reciever from a guy that works at a local stereo store.

I think I will be happy with the 320 when I get it set right.

I couldnt help myself and got the itch to try something else.

I may even try the XR-55 Panasonic just for the heck of it.

Most likely getting better speakers will probably go a long way.

when I posted earlier I didnt know the model of the DCM's and still dont.

I guess I am not such a fanatic as you guys or else I would have already figured out the set up problems and know by now what I was talking about.

I appreciate all the help.

After I get it set up right then I will go from there and have a better idea what not change.

WHen I started this thread I was really just wanting to upgrade, but in reality I dont even know that I need to yet.

sorry for the noob questions

Silver Member

Post Number: 430
Your quite welcome Mike! Use the owners manual it will help you unlock the many capabilities of your HK. I own one myself and have owned several over the years, a very fine product. Your receiver should detect the connection of additional speakers automatically. You simply must set the speaker type- "large" or "small". I think once you set it up properly you will find it highly comparable with the competition ,Marantz, Denon and Yamaha. Best of luck!

Bossier city, Louisiana

Post Number: 8
I am not totally unfamilair with the manual and the setup. I just got something messed up along the way.

I will figure it out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us