NAD C162 Volume Control Noise

Bronze Member
Username: Bcollins

Rockport, MA United States

Post Number: 54
Hello,
I recently noticed that when I used the remote control to adjust the volume on my C162 that the volume control motor could be heard from my listening position. This of course is only when no music is being played. Is this normal? I had never noticed this before, but I may never have adjusted the volume before when no signal was being sent either. Thank you.
Bill

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 191
Bill, I don't believe this is normal. I sit about 10 ft from mine and can't hear it. I'll check later this morning as to how close I can. Did you get a replacement 162/272?

Username: Teamofdreams

Post Number: 2
hi i dont know wriht it or wrong but i also have such kind of sound when use my nad 352 but i think this is not problem.

Bonzo
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I hear the motorised volume control on my C162 as well (with no audio coming through & total silence in the room). From where I'm sitting (that's about 2 meters away) it's very faint and seems quite normal.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 194
I can just hear the VC motor with my ear up close. It's quite faint and disappears altogether at about 15 inches.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thanks for your resposes everyone. I'm hoping it's normal since I've had too many problems with my NAD gear already.

My Rantz,
Yes, I did get a replacement for my 162/272 combo. Unfortunately I had to return the new 272 as well due to an intermitent moderately loud hum comming from the amp. I now have a third 272 and it appears to be working well so far. (Knock on wood!) I hope all goes well from now. I also picked up the C542 CD player. Finally listening to music again. I'd be interested if your remote volume control motor is also audible from a few feet away. My listening position is actualy only 4 feet from my equimpment rack. Again, this is with no music playing. Thanks again,
Bill

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Thanks My Rantz,
Sorry I must have just missed your last post. I guess there is some variability in the loudness of the motors. I don't mind it as long as it's not an indication that the motor will fail prematurely. I'm tired of returning defective gear anyway. Cheers,
Bill

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 195
Bill

I can't believe your run of bad luck. I know NAD have had some QC problems with their A/V recievers but generally their 2 channel gear has been quite reliable. So far I have no issues with my 162/272/542 trio and am very happy with it all. I also use the 272 to drive the mains with my Marantz sr-7300 driving the center and surrounds whan listening to multi channel music or movies. All in all, the NAD gear has been getting a real good workout. So I'll keep my fingers crossed also. I wouldn't be concerned with the motor noise - as you say, they all seem a little different. Good luck with your gear from here on in.

Username: Teamofdreams

Post Number: 3
i hope all u problems in past
nad make great sound and this is main :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Ellison

Post Number: 41
Ey Nad guys, Can putting earth ground to Nad casing helps?

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 623
Contact NAD with this issue. Don't ground anything!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us