How much can I expect to pay to recap a Mcintosh 1900?

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 165
I bought a Mcintosh 1900. Worked fine for a while but now it makes funny noises when I turn it on. Would bet money it needs a recap.

What does a recap typically run? I have no idea what to expect!

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 514
just give them a call and find out yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 515
www.mcintoshlabs.com

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7463

McIntosh probably won't deal with a 1900 any longer. Most Mac dealers who still have service departments in the store will be able to do the repair or you can contact Audio Classics. The cost will obviously depend on which caps need to be replaced and who does the work. There's no way to tell you what the cost should be since I assume you are willing to pay a good technician what they are worth rather than turn the unit over to some slug to destroy. Most assuredly, the labor costs will far outstrip the parts cost. And with the age of the 1900, you might want to consider replacing all the caps to avoid another trip to the service department in the near future.

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 166
I took it to the closest authorized Mcintosh service center (80 miles away). Should have it back in a couple weeks.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7490

I probably should have mentioned it before, but I just spent $189 putting two new power supply caps in my MA6200. I think the cost of the caps came to $1.58. The rest was labor. But I was unsure whether the problem (-20dB in the left channel) was in the power supply (the usual suspect) or in the muting circuit. I decided to give it to a technician instead of poking around during the holidays and finding myself with a disassembled amplifier taking up table space when Xmas dinner was ready to be served. To his credit, the tech did a better job cleaning the amplifier than I had and he did check the rest of the amplifier for anything obviously amiss.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1205
Well done, Jan.
When you need a pair of shoes, go to a shoemaker(cobbler).
I make my living the same way.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7493

You make shoes or Xmas dinners?

Anonymous

Buy Bose
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help