Advice on small speakers, what's out there besides Bose?

der-hacobian
Unregistered guest
Hi guys,
I'd like to install a 5.1 system with speakers mounted right on the ceiling's crown molding (don't want an in wall system). The Bose speakers come in white and are unobtrusive but sound awful. What other vendors would you recommend that manufacture small speakers besides Orb and Gallo.

Thank you for your help

Username: Shawntp

Post Number: 2
Hey ...I am 100% in the same boat as you. BasicallyI found it important in my listening to stay with the better satalites out there that had both a tweeter and a mid in the small enclosure. The Gallo's are supposed to kill the Bose in sound and style but I am not sure if they can compete with some of the 1" tweeter 4" mid enclosures out there.

I listened to a Canton (www.bwspeakers.com) MT-10 system which include 5x M-1 sat's and a modest Sub. After taxes my dealer is getting that rig to me for about $1175.

The sats are very stylish / come with swivel mounts and in white!

The speakers have a 4" mid and a 1" nautilus metal tweeter. Preliminary reviews have said they are a very good system for music and theater.

Silver Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 401
Monitor Audio Radius R90 (small)
Monitor Audio Radius R45 (smaller)
Monitor Audio Radius R180 (center)
Monitor Audio Radius R360 (sub-woofer)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 402
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3600
Mirage Omnisats

Athena Micra (much lower budget)

Polk and Infinity sat systems (unfortunately you do get stuck with a crappy Polk or Infinity sub)

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 403
If tiny is the criteria, then you will not do better than the MA Radius Series.

The MA Radius Series use REAL wood veneers (they also come in white, black & silver as well), they come with excellent adjustable wall brackets, and they sound FAN-tastic. They are VERY deceptive considering their diminutive size.

Go see they for yourself, listen to them, hold them in your own hands, the palms of your hands, I'm certain you will be amazed.

Bronze Member
Username: Alincal

Post Number: 13
I just bought a pair of System Audio (SA-505) speakers. Very small but the great performance. Compared them to Monitor Audio and Paradigm.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 405
SA-505s look very nice (I'd like to hear them), but they're bigger than the MA R90s, and quite a bit bigger than the R45s, not mention quite a bit more $$$.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 140
Orbs.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1165
M&K make two very small series packages both of which certainly used to be available in white.

K-Series. Entry level from M&K but excellent value and knock most others into a cocked hat.

Xenon series. LCR25s are particularly dinky (smaller than K-Series). Expensive, but the best sub/sat system of its type that I have heard. The Surround 25 tripoles are also excellent and disperse beautifully.

Have a look at the smaller series at http://www.mksound.com

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 406
Both the MA R90s & R45s are 2-way designs (The R45 have an unusual side-firing tweeter).

I mean they're kind of neat in a weird novelty sort of way, but sonically, I can't imagine the Orbs compare. I've never done an A-B test between the MA's & Orbs, but I have listened to the Orbs and don't remember being impressed.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 697
Aperion 422-LR

but honestly any one of the one's mentioned above will give you much better sound than Bose

FloridaSun
Unregistered guest
Definitely check out Orb Audio. Great size and very big sound.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 412
I'm sorry, but I think the Orbs are more gimmick than substance. There are physical limitations to what their design can accomplish. If you start off with the intent of designing an egg shaped speaker enclosure, and then worry about its sonic capacities, you're going to have to make some compromises.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 142
Well yes,just like with any small speakers and none of the above would be worth a darn without the help of a sub. Since he's putting them on the ceiling,nothing is going to sound very good anyway so does it really matter?

FloridaSun
Unregistered guest
Christopher -- have you heard the Orbs? Don't knock them until you try them. They sound much bigger than anything out there that is similar size or even a little bigger. Certainly can't beat the price either.

FloridaSun
Unregistered guest
Christopher -- have you heard the Orbs? Don't knock them until you try them. They sound much bigger than anything out there that is similar size or even a little bigger. Certainly can't beat the price either.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 78
Though I haven't heard them, the Mission M-Cube system looks like it would fit the bill. A little pricey, but knowing Mission, it should still be a decent value at the least.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, NY USA

Post Number: 427
I've heard the Orbs (I said that above), and while they were good, I don't remember them being particularly great, not by a long shot, or I would have remembered. If you like them, that's nice, I think someone can do considerably better for the money spent.

I am a huge fan of Mission, and while I have not heard the M-Cube series (I know there area few left at a Amazon.com), I would imagine they're quite good.

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 92
I have to place my recommendation in Orb's court, too. By far the best small speakers I've ever heard, especially if you consider they are 1/2 the price of systems from B&W, Mission, etc. After hearing my Orbs, 3 different friends went out and bought them, too, so they must be doing something right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us