Will my Yamaha RX-Z9 reciever properly power a new pair of Cerwin Vega CLSC-215s?

Beastie1
Unregistered guest
I am redoing my living room in the new house and need to know if my RX-Z9 will properly power a set of Cerwin Vega CLSC-215s.

I will also be pairing the CLSC-215s with a set of Cinema 330 Paradigms for the "front effects".

My Yamaha RX-Z9 is rated at 175w per channel - but I feel the Vegas may need more beef - like 300 or 400w rms to work properly.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 691
What size room is this for? You want to blow out your ears?

Beastie1
Unregistered guest
My room is a 20X20.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7292

CV's can be powered by a potato. The Paradigms are another story all together.

Beastie1
Unregistered guest
Well thats why i am here asking: please tell me the story as I would like to know.

best Regards,

"CV's can be powered by a potato. The Paradigms are another story all together."

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7295

Do you know what the sensitivity/efficiency specification is for both speakers? Is the wattage of the receiver equal across all channels?

Beastie1
Unregistered guest
The wattage of the reciever is equal accross all channels.

The specs you asked for are as follows:

Cerwin Vega CLSC-215 Specs:
Frequency Response: 24 Hz - 20 kHz
Sensitivity (1w/1m): 97 dB

Paradigm OW Monitor 5 Specs:
Frequency Response
• On Axis - ±2dB 95 Hz -- 20 kHz
• 30° Off Axis - ±2dB 95 Hz -- 18 kHz
Sensitivity 94 dB / 91 dB

Does this help?

Anonymous

Assuming the CV's don't have some awful impedance curve, they will hit 100dB with 2 watts and ~120dB with 175. Assuming the same thing for the Paradigms, they will be about 3-6dB behind that. IOW, it should be loud enough for all but those who are the most determined to destroy their hearing.

Beastie1
Unregistered guest
=)

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 73
"Can anyone enlighten me?"

Consider using speakers that better compliment a $4500 receiver

/enlightenment

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7325

Are you saying the Yamaha RX-Z9 is not a potato?

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 74
I find that people who sport Armani suits generally don't compliment them with discount chain store runners

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7342

They do if they like discount store runners.

So the Yamaha is a potato?

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 75
If you were to wear said suit and foot attire simultaneously, people would notice and likely comment, to inquire as to why. It's unusual.

Yes, the Yamaha is a potato.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1116
Jeez, Jan , ya break em' down.

The first step is admitting...

Step 12 is the McIntosh

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7344

If someone like CV's, I think they're hoping someone notices. Unusual or not, that would appear to be "Beastie 1's" choice.

Username: Stevo

Margate, FL. USA

Post Number: 4
You might be better off going with Paradigms all round. Like the Studio or Signature series.
The Cerwin Vega CLSC-215s are like DJ speakers or a small club maybe. You would need a good amp to drive them to what they can handle.
Plus they are big. They would take up a lot of space in your living room.
Go with the Paradigms and SVS subwoofer.
Just my 2 cents.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 76
It's been quite a while since I posted here...whatever became of Paul?

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1123
Paul is dead. Something heavy fell on him, a piano, we think, we don't have all the details yet.

WKRP

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7348

"You would need a good amp to drive them to what they can handle."

What part of, "CV's can be powered by a potato", do you not understand?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7349

Guys, Beastie is set on the CV's. Go back and read his first question. He wants to know if he should get an amplifier with more guts, balls and spit, not necessarily in that order (as if going from 175 watts to 400 watts is going to change things more than 3 point some decimal dB [hint, Beastie, that's all you're going to get by doubling the power, it will barely be noticeable]), not whether he should buy speakers that are not as large. He likes large! He wants more large stuff. Can't you figure that out from reading his question? Stop putting what you like and would prefer to listen to into this and answer the question that was asked.

Anonymous

I think the OP needs to get some Paradigm Atoms. They will absolutely wipe the floor with anything CV makes.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7351

Yet another admonition heeded. Guys, this is what led to the War of 1812!

Gold Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1128
Marshall, Peavey or maybe Kicker, modified for bins. I heard a kicker studio setup, lots of guts for not much bucks.

Username: Stevo

Margate, FL. USA

Post Number: 6
Take a look at Crown (CL/CH)4 or crown CE-4000. Crown are good amps. We use them in the studio for Peavey monitor's.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 77
"Yet another admonition heeded. Guys, this is what led to the War of 1812!"

Could it be, for the first time in the history of the internet, the topic at hand has strayed slightly from the original intent of the poster. Oh, the humanity of it all. ;o)

The question was answered early on - assuming a 3dB increase per doubling of power, the CV's should be good for 120dB, give or take. I can't imagine anyone ever needing more volume in their home than that.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7356

TaDa!

The Yamaha is a potato!

Let's have a hand for my lovely assistant.

Beastie1
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the straight answer Jan, much appreciated.

Jan Vigne - "[hint, Beastie, that's all you're going to get by doubling the power, it will barely be noticeable]"

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7363

That's not to say the higher wattage, better quality amplifier (something like a used McIntosh 2300) might not sound better at all SPL's. A better amplifier will sound better than a lesser amplifier. But, the Yamaha is a well respected receiver and that may be all you need. And, though you like them, the CV's are not the most revealing speakers to use for amplifier comparisons. Hearing what a separate amplifier will give you, other than a possible slight tweak in headroom, would be better served with the Paradigms. Just guessing at what you are trying to achieve with the combination you've picked, I would have to say the Yamaha will do fine on the CV's.

This turned into a real shaggy dog story, didn't it?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us