Need Good speakers (sats) matching Onkyo TX-SR503

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
Hi

I am planning on a HT setup (5.1).

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR503 - 130W/ch, continuous 6 ohms

I had decided on Sonodyne Genie-2 speakers - 80W, 8 ohms

The Onkyo guyz as well as the Sonodyne guyz said that the speakers wont be a good match, and suggested to go for a lil more powerful speakers.....to match the receiver. (they say the 130W-80W difference is a lil too much)

The hall in my house is small, so I cannot go for floorstanders as it will take up a lot of space.
Sats wud be the best.

Plz suggest good speakers (preferably sats). Does Onkyo have good sats speakers to match the TX-SR503?

I am based in Bangalore. I prefer Onkyo or Sonodyne coz they have dealers and service centers in Bangalore.

what are the other brands of speakers I cud go for? (good service backup in Bangalore is essential)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4921
If you like the Sonodyne, stick with Sonodyne. Ask him what he means by more powerful speakers? Will these more powerful speakers cost more money? Speakers DO NOT have power and they do not have watts.

Stick with what you like and enjoy. That Onkyo will not crank out that much power continuously.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
thanx berny.
by powerful speakers, he meant that, since the amp is givin continuous 130W/ch and the Sonodyne at 80W, the amp cud overload the speakers. as per them, the difference in watts between amp and speakers shudnt be more that 10-20W.

the powerful speakers recommended was floorstanders which were too big for my house.

so i can go ahead with the Sonodyne Genie-II speakers, right?

u said "Speakers DO NOT have power and they do not have watts"
what does the 80W in the speaker specification mean?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 784
The speaker power spec means that it can tolerate up to that amount on the volume control before distorting badly or causing possible damage to speaker drivers--particularly tweeters.

That Onkyo might deliver 115 watts into one speaker and probably about 80 watts/channel with 5 speakers. No doubt it has about the best amp section of any receiver in its price range. It is always better to have too much power than too little. It is far better to have an amp not straining to drive your speakers.

Just remember to back off on the volume if you start to hear your speakers distort or beakup. As long as you do that you will have no problem with causing any damage on these speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Alphabet

Cape TownSouth Africa

Post Number: 49
When benchmarked by Sound & Vision, the Onkyo SR-503 delivered a maximum of 75watts RMS per channel with two channels driven at 1KHz.

Therefor you should not have any problem using the speakers you want. The salesmen are only trying to get you to spend more money.

In any event there is a greater possiblity damaging speakers when driven by a weaker amp than using a more powerful amp.

juggy_25
Unregistered guest
Thanx Abe.
Is it good to go for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?
the hall in my house is small, so mebbe a 7.1 setup wud cramp up all the speakers.

besides, i heard there are no genuine 7.1 formats.

wud i miss on the complete surround experience if I put in a 5.1 instead of 7.1??

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 792
As long as your speakers are good, 5.1 will give you excellent surround performance in a small to medium sized room. There is no need to spend more on another pair of speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us