Build me a System

Steinkea
Unregistered guest
I am new to the world of home audio and am looking to get into it. I want a system for music and I mainly listen to rap and country. I want a system with a lot of bass probally 2 floor speakers w/ the possibilitly of a powered subwoofer but am not too sure. I am not sure about the floor speakers I could deal with ones that arent floor. just looking for somethign thats gonna be loud and have good bass for under 1200 or so.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 7280

That's way too much work for $1200. Just look through the archives of the forum in this section and you'll find more suggestions than you will ever be able to audition.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 811
Harman Kardon HK3480 Stereo receiver (120W x 2) - $268.99

Good place to start.

Now floor standing speakers under $1000 with good bass response for rap music is trickier - I own Polk Rti8s, and my experience with getting great bass has been either listen very loud - where the treble is overbearing - or Eq. up the bass and even reduce the treble, but IMO having to Eq. defeats the purpose of buying an accurate system. Speakers like Definitive Technologies' bi-polar towers would be great but they are out of your pricerange, as are most speakers of this design.

So I'd suggest bookshelfs (especially in a small to mid sized room), accompanied by a powered subwoofer.

Paradigm Monitor 5s with an HSU sub might fit your budget before cabling, or you could save more money with a Dayton sub from www.partsexpress.com.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 812
Harman Kardon HK3480 Stereo receiver (120W x 2) - $268.99

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.process?Section_Path=/Audio/Receivers/

Good place to start.

Now floor standing speakers under $1000 with good bass response for rap music is trickier - I own Polk Rti8s, and my experience with getting great bass has been either listen very loud - where the treble is overbearing - or Eq. up the bass and even reduce the treble, but IMO having to Eq. defeats the purpose of buying an accurate system. Speakers like Definitive Technologies' bi-polar towers would be great but they are out of your pricerange, as are most speakers of this design.

So I'd suggest bookshelfs (especially in a small to mid sized room), accompanied by a powered subwoofer.

Paradigm Monitor 5s with an HSU sub might fit your budget before cabling, or you could save more money with a Dayton sub from www.partsexpress.com.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3583
a NAD c352 integrated amp plus Alegria Audio Emmas will put you right at $1200 even though it's not a floorstander.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1163
Err...and what about playing the music? I don't see any CD player recommendations?

I'm in the UK so prices may be a little out, but you could do a lot worse than a NAD C521BEE CD player, NAD C352 amplifier and a lovely pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO3 speakers. Big sound, heavy floorstander, magnetically shielded so you can put it reasonably close to a TV (and get suberb stereo sound from that as a source).

regards,
Frank.

no one special
Unregistered guest
Let me give you some insight as I just went through this process before Xmas...(I even posted a similiar inquiry here)...

I know this is probably not what you're looking to hear, but you will not get too much help from forums like this. These forums are great if you have specific questions or issues, and you'll get some good general feedback, but usually people will simply recommend the particular brand or model they use. As long as you get a decent brand (I found CNET reviews useful), I guarantee you will be satisfied. I know the number of choices are almost paralyzing at times, but just narrow down a few brands, and perhaps go listen to some speakers, and you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Good luck!

Steinkea
Unregistered guest
OK. I took everyones advice and went out to look at a few things and I think I have decided on the Harmon Kardon HK3480, Bose 301 for speakers, and the infinity ps-12 for the powered subwoofer. What does everyone think of this set up and do you think that it will perform well??

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3614
The HK isn't bad but unless you're paying some really low low used prices for the 301s and PS-12s, I'd say you could do much better.

But hey it's your money and your ears after all.

steinkea
Unregistered guest
What about Klipsch Speakers. Are those any better??

it's me
Unregistered guest
Most any speaker would be a better than the Bose. Klipsch tend to be pretty efficient and might be a good choice for the type of music you prefer.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5051
steinkea,
Have you made any comparisons between Bose and Klipsch?

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 145
4 Axiom M22's and a center would be right aroung 1200 bucks and then save and get a nice SVS for 600 bucks and you have a nice 2ch/HT system.

steinkea
Unregistered guest
Umm i have listened to both the bose and klipsch and the klipsch did sound better. but other than that I havent really compared.

Bronze Member
Username: 3k_fx

Iowa United State...

Post Number: 26
I know this isn't popular very many places, but if audiophile quality isn't as important as bass and how loud you can play, look at a pair of Cerwin Vega floorstanding speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us