Can a computer burn SACD or DVDA?

Username: Irisfailsafe

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 3
I have a PowerMac with a DL DVD RW+ -
Can I burn DVDA or SACD and what program would I need to do so?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 779
I don't know of any programs or devices (other than very expensive professional ones) that permit burning of DVD-A's or SACD's.

DVD-A discs almost always have built-in copy protection that forces a DVD-A player into a low-resolution down-sampling mode at the digital outputs. When the copy protection is activated, 16-bit, 48-kHz output is usually what results when playing 24-96, or 24-192 kHz material. This disc creation option was provided in response to the music industries demand to prohibit the unauthorized copying and sharing of a DVD-A disc - at its full resolution. Unfortunately, most producers of DVD-A discs have chosen to exercise this option.

It is even worse (if possible) for SACD.

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 8
Bummer.
So what is the point of these discs?
Do they have a future with the blue ray discs?

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 178
I read somewhere on this forum that DVD-A can be copied and so too, can the cd layer on Hybrid SACD's. How many DVD-A/SACD players do you own that you need to burn them - or do you have other motives :-)

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 787
I am leaning toward the view that HD and or Blu-Ray will take over the Hi-Rez music business. As we all know, it will hardly be the first time that a new technology will supercede an older one. Particularly when the older ones weren't that popular or used in the first place. I own a number of DVD-A's and SACD discs, but it is rather apparent that neither has had much traction in the marketplace.

While I don't plan on getting rid of my universal dvd player, I am definitely taking a vacation on purchasing new multichannel discs (unless I see something I must have) until I see where the future takes us in Hi-Rez music discs.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 544
Gregory,
I certainly understand where you're coming from. I own an inexpensive SACD/DVD-A combo player for exactly the same reason. But since I do own it, I'm going to keep picking up discs because I think it'll take some time for the technology to get a foot-hold. I'm not sure just when affordable players (that's subjective, I know), will become available and how long it will take for enough discs to also become available to make the leap worth while. Until then, I am going to keep picking up discs of interest.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 182
Same here Sem, there has been no talk of hi-rez music on Blu-Ray and HD except for movie sountracks though I suspect music recording will follow. Although the stores don't seem to be stocking much hi-rez stuff, it is a niche market for enthusiasts and the number of titles is still growing and can easily be sourced on-line. So I think it will be a matter of years yet until Blu-Ray and HD will be in my home.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 440
DVD-A was finally cracked last summer, a russian guy developed a "fix" for tapping WinDVD. It came out on the web but was fiercefully pursued and eventually disappeared. I got hold of it but never tried. Frankly speaking, I prefer supporting the format by buying an album now and then.

There is an inexpensive program for burning DVD-A at http://www.cirlinca.com . I fooled around with the trial version and CDA files. Didn't work that well, I guess the upsampling algoritm is crappy in this program. It is maybe possible to create better wav files with Nero 7, which handles 5.1 editing at 96KHz. Still, you won't be able to MLP compress.

Cheers
AL

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3893
I found Apple DiskTools made an image of a couple of DVD-As, which I could then burn onto blank DVD-R discs. This worked for double-sided discs with DVD-A and DVD-V on each side, also for a mixed disc with the two formats on the same side. The original DVD-A format was not copy protected. CCPM protection was slapped on later, I think. I don't think the original DVD-A had to be "cracked".

But, as Arnold says, isn't it better to own the professionally-produced complete package, and support the performers and recording company? Also, there ought to be economies of scale in a commercial production.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 443
That's true John, pure DVD-A is about AOB (audio object) files instead of VOB files. Most softwares are video-oriented softwares, and does not recognize the audio files. But it is not about cracking, the issue is to include DVD-A reading/writing or not as a feature. Here's a link to a freeware project:

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

Then again, most DVD-A albums are compressed with MLP to reduce file size. This is prorietary technology, and to use it at convenience is a more delicate matter. On top of this comes outright copy protection, i.e. CPPM and I believe there is also watermarking (systematic imperfections). There is even a scheme on protected/non-protected versus commercial/home-made discs. Consumer DVD-A players might prevent usage in some of the available cases.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: Dobyblue

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 33
I support the format by buying the discs too, although it wouldn't appear that the music industry is supporting it too much!!!
*bashes head against wall*
You know what bothers me most is all the titles on DualDisc with an "Enhanced Stereo" track - which means it's encoded as a 16-bit 48Hz file instead of 16-bit 44.1Hz. Big freaking deal!!!
This is a total waste of the medium. Sure it's great to have a 10 minute "making of the album" featurette or something, but how many times are you going to watch that? I would suggest more often you'll be listening to the music. That's why it bugs me that they can't put a 24-bit 48/96/192Hz stereo 48/96 5.1 Advanced Resolution track on it.
You want the format to do well yet the record labels seem to be completely clueless as how to go about it. The record buying public that only has a DVD-Video player will not buy the disc because they think the disc will be ruined (which it won't unless you're foolish enough to actually PLAY the CD side of the disc) meanwhile the DVD-Audio/SACD fanatics are mostly in the know and realise that an "Enhanced Stereo" track is a lod of rubbish.
I'll be buying the Flecktones new disc on CD as my own little personal protest.

As for burning there are quite a few programs. I used DVD-Audio Solo which worked very well. I don't care to rip anything, but I do download a lot of live concerts from bands who allow their shows to be taped (Dead, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, etc.) and quite a few of the tapers are now recording shows in 24-bit and releasing a copy of it in that format for people to torrent it.

Bronze Member

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 11
I just checked that toaster allows to burn DVD's as either OB (audio object) or VOB files. Does this means something.

As for why, I wanted to see if it was possible to create some 96Khz of the sound for an animation...

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 445
AOB is crucial, this is the DVD-A file format. But you need a software that can read/write those files.

Cheers
AL

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3919
Thank you for the Sourceforge link, Arnold. I am a fan. I did not know they dealt with audio, too. Recommended.

Steven; "I support the format by buying the discs too, although it wouldn't appear that the music industry is supporting it too much!!! "

Agreed, I enthusiastically endorsed DVD-A on this site, but the disks are disappearing from the shelves. Not so, SACD. If only Sony had not set up a rival format, we'd all have hi-res digital audio by now. DVD-A is really just hi-resolution CD, with a multichannel option. Sony really should have supported DVD-A; it was built on their previous success.

milpai
Unregistered guest
I am not sure if HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will appeal to the masses for Hi-Rez Audio. Psycologiclaly they are VIDEO discs. I prefer the SACD for Hi-Rez. It is the only DSD format existing. Sadly, formats do not live/die based on audiophile's choice - but based on choice of the masses.

Username: Hirezsqwave

Post Number: 1
Producers of SACD titles have no way to check their cutting master files for behavior/playback/quality control in a consumer environment. For that matter, the Super Author program does not pipe the playback through DSD converters, but down-samples the playback through the computer's sound card. I haven't tested this playback because it was available in Version 2.5, but removed in version 3.0.x. I also have no idea whether a 5.1 sound card would play all 6 channels of the Multi-channel portion of the disc.

Is there a way to burn a check disc that is playable on some SACD players? What models of SACD players might they be? Specifically, the Super Author program generates the following files that are needed for the SACD image (in a stereo SACD image):

MASTER1.TOC
MASTER2.TOC
MASTER3.TOC
SRM0.LST
2C_AUDIO/ <Directory
2C_AUDIO/2C_AREA1.TOC
2C_AUDIO/2C_TAREA.2CH
2C_AUDIO/2C_AREA2.TOC

It also generates this file:

DISC1.toc

which contains the sizes and sectors of each of the TRACK###.2CH files.

Is there a program that will generate the following files:

2C_AUDIO/TRACK001.2CH
2C_AUDIO/TRACK002.2CH
2C_AUDIO/TRACK003.2CH
... ... ...
2C_AUDIO/TRACKnnn.2CH

from the 2C_TAREA.2CH file.

I assume that these TRACKnnn.2CH files are symbolic links to the specific portion of the huge file, 2C_TAREA.2CH. Otherwise, there would not be enough space to store the area file and the tracks files.

Speaking about keeping waste to a minimum, is there any reason why quality control checks must involve creating a glass master and tooling up for a 10 to 20 copy replication run?!?! It is wasteful of resources, materials, time and money. Nobody is going to pirate himself/herself...

I hope there is a valid solution to my request... Thank you.

Username: Anydownload

Have anyone tried the copy-to-dvd.com copy dvd program? Is it any good?

Username: Lanceloare

Yes, you can burn DVD-A. Try Discwelder for Mac. Unfortunately, it is not free -- I believe it costs about $100.

Flv Player Download

Username: Gminor

Com'on guys... Use Daemon tools to mount the SACD image file. You can play/burn/convert music using the most common players like windows media player or foobar2000
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us